bobby_jo_lutner

Side elevation

Bobby_Jo Lutner
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are building, and this side elevation with the windows not lining up, we think looks weird. Is there a way to make this blend? architectural or design element that will help?

Comments (13)

• Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the side. And yes this is all the windows. That is a bedroom upstairs (it is the only room upstairs) and that is a bedroom downstairs - the other bedroom has a window facing back and if we put a window in the other wall there would be now wall for bed.

• Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The front door is toward the left of the pictures. That is the side entrance garage.

• flopsycat1
    8 years ago

I don't think it looks weird. Your house does not appear to have an overall symmetrical design, so I don't think the windows have to be placed evenly. When it is finished, perhaps plant a nice ornamental tree to the right of the lower window to add balance to the garage door on the other side.

Bobby_Jo Lutner thanked flopsycat1
  • Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thats very true actually flopsycat1, the house really isn't symmetrical.

The top is before they finished roofing it. in the house plans, something about beams lining up got caught by the framers so the dormer up top was shifted to center. The windows did line up in the initial floor plan elevation. the bottom pic is back of house and in another comment I posted front.

• flopsycat1
    8 years ago
    Is there no window in the garage? Having some natural light is always a good idea.
  • Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There are windows at the front, but they haven't been cut out yet.

• PRO
    Morgan Exteriors
    8 years ago
    One of the many beauties of a home like yours is that with all of the different ridge heights, roof lines, and wall end points, it leaves you with no set rules. Especially when talking about a side wall of the home. I see the front is pretty straight forward from a window layout, which is expected. But I think it would be fine as is on the side. When it comes to the front of the home, I do think you need to check off some boxes and do what looks best from the outside. But for the sides and back, I always tell my clients that we live IN our homes, so whatever works best for the layout of those particular Windows from the inside is what I would say to do.

Hope this helps
    Justin
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

IMO the windows should line up... being off, it offsets the whole elevation... but being on the side of the house it's not that critical.

• Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So the question is if they can't be lined up, what can help it look less obscure?
  • tatts
    8 years ago

Your only choice would be to move the lower ones to the left, which would leave an enormous blank wall going to the right. Weird

If the windows were off just a bit, then I'd say align them, but these are clearly not designed to align.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    8 years ago

The offset windows complement the lack of symmetry and absolutely shouldn't line up. Pulling the lower windows under the upper windows would create even more of a blank wall to the right. To break up that expanse, you might consider a high horizontal window at the bedroom, which would be over the bed and bring light into that room from two sides, which is always desirable. Otherwise, leave windows as they are and use landscaping to cover some of the blank wall.

Bobby_Jo Lutner thanked RappArchitecture
  • Bobby_Jo Lutner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your input. The signed off plan had them lined up. D/t something about headers, the framers had to offset the upper portion or oversized dormer like structure to left and therefore the windows were not going to align. I thought what I didnt like was that they werent aligned. Although I knew this was because there was no other windows on the bottom, it is with your input that actually it is the BIG empty section on the bottom floor. The addition of a high transom in the bedroom to me is the only option. We are meeting with the builder Monday about this issue. He had suggested the dormer be made larger so that the windows could align, but we think the window NOT being centered in the dormer would look even worse!.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.