hzdeleted_5203979

To all my builder friends: exterior door help needed ASAP.

User
11 years ago
We have two 2'8" double doors for our new build. Is that an abnormal size as I cannot get a modern looking door style in this side through the builder? The are offering me a"Naples" door...is that a modern option? Any other suggestions. I cannot go to the door supplier myself and have to reply on the builder for information. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    CapStone Home Renovations
    11 years ago
    Not sure what a Naples door is, but if it's a new build, why are you using double 2-8 doors instead of a more conventional size to begin with? and why weren't these spec'd at the beginning? Are these interior or exterior doors? You can always have custom doors built if that is necessary. The builder should let you talk directly with the supplier or offer you alternatives. That's a fairly unconventional size for double doors.
  • PRO
    CapStone Home Renovations
    11 years ago
    Just to be clear, each door is 2'-8" or is that the combined size? i.e. each door slab is 1'4" or each slab is 2'8".
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    princess_q, I'm not familiar with the Naples door either. Could you get the builder to email you the product link to the manufacturers website? Slow the freight train down! I know you are all in a hurry...but marry in haste, regret at leisure. Four replacement doors is not chump change.
  • PRO
    Rockwood Design Associates, Inc.
    11 years ago
    If you have a good builder, he should be willing to work with you. he may get the best deal on the doors he suggested, tell him the llok is not what you are going after and ask him to apply his allowance toward what you want. Remember, this is your home, not his!

Rockwood Design, California
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We have architectural controls in our community set out by the developer. I really wanted a gable vault, which two neighbours beside me have as well. As a result we had to make changes to our front elevation and that included the front doors. We originally had 2 sidelights and 1 door and were given the option of 1 sidelight with 1 door or two double doors. We chose 2 double doors for the symmetry. Also due to architectural controls we cannot just pick any door and as a result the builder is working with the developer and there aren't many options they are being offered as (2) 2'8" doors are very rare :(

I am worried because I went to Home Depot to inquire about changing the doors out after possession and it we be very costly ( in the thousands).
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the Naples glass and the door they are giving us is the one with the large glass on the top part of the door and two vertical raised panels on the bottom part of the door. This is the PDF from the product catalogue as per the builder:
    http://www.trimtechaustin.com/doors/masonite/images/masonite_68-69_Naples_Glass.pdf
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    princess_q, The builder is constrained by the development guidelines. The door is not what you want in terms of style....two different goals at cross purposes. Seems like the Naples door is the only option the builder can give and stay within the boundaries he agreed to...and by default, so did you. The development has determined an overall exterior style...whether that relaxes in the future or becomes even more restrictive is anybodies guess. If you are able to make changes after the build, OK. You can craigslist the Naples doors and find new ones that match your aesthetic. Don't confine your search to HD...They are limited in what they offer. There are local door shops with more varieties available, though probably not in stock (I think to go contemporary, HD would be special order regardless).
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Don't get your heart set on changing out doors to a different style after you've moved in. I would expect that those design requirements would apply to you as a homebuyer just as they apply to a builder.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Those guidelines are for the new built home only and so the doora can be changed out the day of possession. I don't want to do that as it is quite costly!
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    That is ridiculous! I can see why you are irritated by that requirement
  • PRO
    Neoporte Modern Door
    11 years ago
    Ironwood Builders is right, you should not confine your door search to HD. There are lots of door manufactures out there, that will manufacture modern doors to fit your contraints, be in 2'8" or otherwise. You may want to check out pivot doors by Neoporte Modern Door or others. An oversized single pivot door can fill up the entire opening and give you a cool, modern look that will set your home apart. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    You can change out the glass inserts for a design of your choice, even if the Naples doors don't have glass.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.