claire_pharo

Electrical Musthaves?!

Claire Pharo
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Electrical must haves in new construction home?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    7 years ago

Undercabinet Lighting, Lighting with Dimmers or motion sensors, wall sconces in the hallway, lighting in the shower.

• User
    7 years ago

Nightlight outlets in the bathrooms

• Theresa Holt
    7 years ago
    An Outlet on the side of the toilet so you can sit on the seat and do foot baths
  • acm
    7 years ago

I'd love a built-in bluetooth sound system.

but "must-haves"? nothing is that critical.

USB charging outlet in a convenient part of the kitchen, maybe...

• PRO
    Vancity Electric
    7 years ago

We do the electrical for a lot of new homes and I would say most people comment on the audio system and the lighting after the fact. Having audio throughout your home just brings it to life. Also the right lighting can really pop as well. Remember your electrician has most likely installed lighting like yours for a lot of years I would trust there decisions and use there experience to your advantage. Hope that helps.

• PRO
    4-Star Electric Ltd.
    7 years ago

Adequate lighting in every room. It is much easier and cost effective to install adequate lighting during new construction. All too often homeowners try to address this after the renovation, even though it can be done, it is a lot more difficult and more expensive.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Ditto the lighting. When we were doing our upstairs bathroom reno, it occurred to me after the floor was ripped up that we now had access to our family room ceiling, which was a room that never had enough light. So at the last minute we added can lights, and some track lighting, to the FR before closing the bathroom floor above back up, and I cannot tell you what an improvement it is.

• disfromage
    7 years ago

Enough capacity in terms of amperage and empty circuit breaker slots for future expansion and changes. Ask me how I know....

• User
    7 years ago

We didn't build this house we are in, but my closets have lights that turn on and off when you open and close the door. (Perhaps someone knows what they are called) I would never have asked for this, but I really do love it.

• PRO
    Vancity Electric
    7 years ago

We install those as well. They are just called motion closet lights to us.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

That is cool, my folks used to live in a condo with a closet with a light that was activated not by motion, but by the unlatching of the door I believe. Was put in by previous owner who was a bit of a DIY gadget-y kind of guy (good friend of the family).

We had no lights in our master walk-in until recently. Closet had been built out by previous owners from a reach-in and they didn't add lights. We should have added them years ago, but finally added ceiling mounted flush LED fixtures. Being able to see decently inside the closet has improved my quality of life by more than I care to admit. (They are on a wall switch not automatic, but that is fine with me!)

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks Vancity. Mine have a button on the hinge side, so I don't know if that's considered a motion light? Although both probably work equally as well.

• wacokid
    7 years ago

Good perimeter lighting with convenient on/off switches.

• PRO
    4-Star Electric Ltd.
    7 years ago

The alternative to a motion switch for a closet is a door jamb switch. For ease of installation a motion switch is a better option, but both work great.

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    Lots of great suggestions so far. Here's another one. Outlets on the fireplace mantle, for lamps, Christmas decorations, etc.
  • D J
    7 years ago
    One outlet next to the front door for holiday decorations.
    An extra light fixture to frame the patio (backyard) door with an outlet underneath it close to the ground.
    Ceiling light in the living room.
    Light switches at hand reach (don't take that one for granted).
    Lights on the sides of the house. Those areas always end up being so dark. Think about the trooper going there at night to handle the garbages.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.