robert_bailey77

Put down zoysia seed and now crabgrass it taking over part of the yard

Robert Bailey
7 years ago

I put down Zenith Zoysia seed down on April 16, 2016, the Zenith Zoysia is coming in but so has weeds mostly Crabgrass, Grass is not 1.5 inchs yet so I don't want to mow yet.

Would it or when will it be ok to put down weed killer.

I have been pulling most of the weeds by hand. But the crabgrass seems to disturb most of the dirt and pulls up some of the grass. Or should I just wait till I mow a couple of times.

I'm in Atlanta, GA

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Super-Sod
    7 years ago

We think it's too early to apply an herbicide since it's been a cool spring (on and off). We expect that some of the seed you planted on April 16th still haven't germinated. Even though the Zenith is not yet 1.5" tall we recommend mowing to control the weeds - it is your only defense against them at this point. In about 6 weeks, the Zenith seeds should be mature enough so that they can withstand an herbicide for your weeds. We sell herbicides products at our 4 stores in the Atlanta area, and other garden centers do too. Please note that you must go easy on whatever herbicide you apply so that you don't damage the Zenith (use a light application, maybe just to a small area to see how the Zenith holds up). Please call or write again with any further questions we can help you with.

Best Wishes,

Hillary Thompson

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

This is one of the two reasons we strongly urge people not to seed in the spring. Spring is when the crabgrass seed is germinating. All you have to do to sprout crabgrass seed is to keep the soil moist all day long for a couple days. That is exactly what turf grass seed needs. So when you seed in the spring you get a crabgrass lawn by July. Fall is the best time to seed northern type grasses. Summer is the best time for southern seeded grasses.

• jbkinn
    7 years ago

I live in a zone that needs June to September to get a Zenith zoysia seeded lawn ready for winter. Crabgrass is dense in spots so I'm concerned that the zoysia seedlings will not get enough sunlight. I'm only in the 3rd week of planting. Should I pull spots of weeds out and reseed in this area?

• Robert Bailey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have been pulling weeds and crabgrass in spots. I do see the zoysia growing under the weeds. I would pull the grabgrass or atleast break them off so they have less of a chance of putting down more seeds.

• reeljake
    7 years ago

Pulling is definitely your best option at the moment

• HU-436366424
    2 years ago

Use quinclorac to get rid of the crab grass. Otherwise zoysia will take a longer time to establish ( it's slow to start with)

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.