bkim0222

Need help choosing electrical options on new construction home

Mega Bear
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought a new home and it's now entering a phase where I need to select electrical options soon, and I need some help because I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or not. Note that the home is being built in Southern California.

1. I probably won't get an alarm system because frankly there's nothing valuable at home that insurance can't cover, but I thought maybe it's still worth it just to feel safe.

"Essential Alarm System" - $1620 (fair price?)

1 Honeywell Vista 15P Six Zone Master Control Panel with Backup Battery

2 Honeywell 6150 Fixed English LCD Keypad (Garage Door, Master Bedroom)

1 Honeywell Aurora Motion Sensor

All Accessible Doors and Windows Magnetically Contacted

1 RJ31X Telephone Interface Jack

2. Below are options that I'm reaaally struggling with. I am considering getting the second option where they Prewire for flat panel and install Versabox pre-construction. Should I also ask them to install a wall mount?

"Installation of Flat Panel Prewire" - $450

"Installation of Flat Panel Prewire plus Versa Box in wall" - $840

"Installation of Flat Panel Prewire plus Versa Box plus fixed wall mount for TV and IR repeater" - $1140

"Installation of Flat Panel Prewire plus Versa Box plus articulating wall mount for TV and IR repeater" - $1330

3. Is below really necessary? I've gotten Direct TV without having to do below before.

"Satellite Ready Package" - $350

(4) RG6 Quad Shield Cables to attic for future DSS Satellite Dish or local antenna and 1 upgraded universal outlet at the media niche for phone data and multiple TV solutions before drywall

4. Right now I get 2x Cable TV Outlets & 2x CAT-5E Phone Outlet in Master and Kitchen. I want to get 2x more of each in two more bedrooms, which will cost $160 x4 = $640. However they also offer below, and I'm not sure if I should just get below instead, and this will cover RG6 Quad Shield as well, I think.

"Structured Wiring System, Home Office and Network" - $1930

1 ON-Q 20 Inch Central Distribution Center (Master Bed Closet)

2 RG6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cables from the utility entrance (Side of house) to CDC

2 CAT5E Cables from the utility entrance (Side of house) to CDC

1 RG6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cable from CDC to all TV locations in home

2 CAT5E Cables from the CDC to all Telephone locations in home

4 RG6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cable from the CDC to attic location (Future Dish Location)

1 CAT5E Cable to the Media Center in Family Room and the TV location in Master Bedroom

3 CAT5E cables from the CDC to Tech Center or Home Office

1 ON-Q 1 X 8 Enhanced Telecom Module

1 ON-Q 1 X 6 Passive Video Module

All Telephone locations will have Dual Jacks, 1 Telephone, 1 Data

Much thanks in advance!

Brian

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Vancity Electric
    7 years ago

"Installation of Flat Panel Prewire plus Versa Box in wall" - $840 - Seems pricey could be DIY'd pretty easily. Or hire a guy separately

4. Right now I get 2x Cable TV Outlets & 2x CAT-5E Phone Outlet in Master and Kitchen. I want to get 2x more of each in two more bedrooms, which will cost $160 x4 = $640. However they also offer below, and I'm not sure if I should just get below instead, and this will cover RG6 Quad Shield as well, I think. - Again seems pricey to me. Up in Canada we do a LV run / jack for $100-$130 each. It should be cheeper for you.

Hope that helps. The TV mounts are extremely easy to install if your handy.

Cheers !

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.