ocean_clarke

Crittall-style windows - hot or not?

Ocean Clarke
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Some love them, some think they are cold and obtrusive. But what do you think about Crittall-style windows - are you a lover or a hater?

Let us know if you would welcome these industrial style beauties into your home in the comments below!

Primrose Hill · More Info

Hate
Love
Not sure

Comments (20)

• PRO
    PE electrical services and building enterprises
    7 years ago
    I must confess Ocean that these are a style I've not previously taken much notice of but I think I like them. Beats PVC anyway and as long as they're achieving the required energy efficiency rating levels I say "yeah why not...?". I'm now looking forward to possibly working with, near or around at some point.
  • Ocean Clarke
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great to hear! I think they can look great too (depending on whether the original space has some interesting period features or interesting decor). In a completely modern build, I'm not such a fan - but in the room above, I love!

• Nik Gallacher
    7 years ago

I absolutely love them but too expensive for me at the mo as doing a lot of other work. They would literally transform our house. Some day..

• gilliifer
    7 years ago

I wish I'd known about the new crittal windows before we did ours. Next time

• Ocean Clarke
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There's always time! :)

• PRO
    KTB Architecture
    7 years ago

Always a favourite with clients and Architects alike.

• Polly Shtrock
    7 years ago
    I loved them but didn't know the name. What type of dressing suit them please?
  • PRO
    Alice Sparks Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Nik Gallacher

I would like to invite you to share me your project. I am working on a steel style window that is very reasonable and therefore would like to see if I can help you. We design and fabricate it all ourselves.

Please email me asltd16@outlook.com. Website being launched shortly.

i hope I can assist.

thanks

alice

• PRO
    Pret A Vivre
    7 years ago

Hi Polly, to dress a crittall-style window, wave curtains on a ceiling fixed pole are great. There is a wide selection of colours for wave curtain poles so you would easily find one to blend in with the window frame colour. With an unlined medium weight linen fabric you will achieve a relaxed yet smart look to complement the industrial style of the window. The beauty of a semi sheer fabric is that it will not obstruct the view of the frame. The key here is to get the balance right so the window dressing doesn't overpower the crittall-style window which should remain the focal point of interest.

The Pret A Vivre team

• Polly Shtrock
    7 years ago

Sounds perfect thank you. It would be a special feature with or without.

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    7 years ago

Because I have a listed property I have had to replace like with like and the modern ones are impressive. The company I bought them from shall be nameless as a total nightmare

• PRO
    Surrey Bespoke Joinery
    7 years ago

Not a fan of crittall windows, I might change my mind if they kept some heat in!

• PRO
    7 years ago

Polly I think Roman Blinds look best if the window is not too wide. If they are quite short I would probably fit the blind outside the recess and put a pelmet to hide the headrail.

• PRO
    7 years ago

My windows are double glazed and certainly not draughty as the old ones were. English Heritage can be very difficult when it comes to changing windows if the building is listed.

• Karen Bruno
    4 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy used or vintage Crittall windows?

• Bill Wales
    3 years ago

We have new double-glazed Crittall french windows on 3 floors at a holiday home facing the beach. We have a long list of problems with them. They run with condensation on the frames in winter. The powder coating finish is unable to resist salt and sea air after less than 3 years and Critall are unable to suggest a maintenance regime for salt removal (but void the guarantee if you don't follow it). The hinges and handles are crude - not sealed or resistant - and have corroded/seized after a couple of years. I am sure they are ok in a sheltered setting and look fabulous but they have performed much worse than run-of-the-mill windows on our neighbours' houses. PM me if you're interested in some used ones. We're seriously thinking of taking them out.

• Liz Sloan
    2 years ago

We have aluminium crittal style windows installed. They are double glazed and we are not cold. The installation has been tricky as each of the 12 framed glass panels are individual but I love them and am looking at ceiling fixed wave curtains.

• PRO
    Bespoke Glazing Design
    2 years ago

@Bill Wales sorry to hear you had so many issues with your Crittall doors, unfortunately it seems that they were not installed right, as you should't have any condensations issues.

• Cle Campbell
    2 years ago

Not a fan as I like a good clear view out of the window so prefer vast picture windows. Not withstanding this I can see why they have become fashionable again as they can bring a wow factor into a room if the proportions are right.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.