aletha_walsh

Curb appeal

Aletha Walsh
7 years ago

We have been in our house for almost 2 years now and are just finally getting to do some curb appeal. We are stuck on what we are able to do that will look nice, not break the bank and is also child friendly ( our kids are 7,7 & 5)

we have just laid down some top soil to get some grass to grow. I want to paint the front deck and the door, but I'm stuck on what colors to go with. And what else to do besides putting a couple flowers around.

Comments (95)

• e_lind
    7 years ago
    This might be a little off track but since you don't have much ground to cover, consider laying sod and then water religiously! Might help with your vision for the front of the house. I think shutters are a great idea for the windows! Good luck!
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas Aubrey, but art his current time im not looking to paint my siding, just don't have the time to anything that big. just going for small items we can do when my husband is off ( he's a nurse and don't get much time to do anything) I do love the grey siding tho! :)

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

E_lind, I have seed down, just going to take a couple days to get it to grow, hopefully very soon. And thanks, I hope it all turns out nice :)

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So having my house the color that it is, and just painting my door. The basement of the house needs to be updated, what kind of color should I go with? I was thinking black but I'm unsure what it would look like after the front deck is done and the shutters..

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Shutters, paint the railings, paint the foundation and porch & add some bushes in the front.

• Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    Just by the look of the door with your siding it looks like a beach theme! Do you like that?
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

BeverlyFLADDeziner- I like the idea of bushes. Or at least a couple with some flowers ( my oldest asked for some flowers so I want add that for her) and I'm be painting the porch pretty much like u have suggested along with the shutters going up. Just not sure on the color of them yet. The only problem is, I'm unable to put them around my living room window due to the mail box being there and a couple decor items the kids have given me.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aubrey- I'm more into the country/ rustic theme's... I picked the door color because teal is my favourite color, as for the siding, it was done when we moved in.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

People place their mailbox on top of shutters all the time. Maybe there are better locations for your gifts from the kids.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've never seen it done around here, but I also live on a small island in the Atlantic lol

as for the decor from the kids, I honestly don't know where to put it, there's very little room to put anything on display :(

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Aubrey I wasn't trying to pick at you. Your posts weren't even there when I made the comment. I was talking to Aletha previously and thought I would give my opinion. Just an opinion based on the age and history of the house. I've studied color history and black wasn't used in this house design.

Moving on I liked Beverly's mock up minus the porch shutters. I think that was more in line with what you said in the beginning. If you wanted a variation in colors you could go with a darker version of the teal on the shutters. For flowers if you weren't interested in doing the window boxes it would be easier to do a planter box . Where Beverly had the bushes you could put a shallow planter box or even do two , one at each corner. Then you can just put plants in them already in containers . That gives you the freedom to change them out when you feel like it. Houzz sells some that are fairly inexpensive, as in under $50. So does Home Depot.

• Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    Rollinggirl- So sorry, thought you where talking to me.
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I found some bright color flowers and a nice little shrub to go infront of the house ( I got my purple lol) but I need to get some more purple. This is a start just to see how it will look

• Betty
    7 years ago
    I love the idea of charcoal gray shutters with the door color & the siding color. I'm hoping to use that door color on my home. Waiting for new siding to see if it will work.

What about hanging baskets in the porch?
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the idea of hanging baskets, but I think with flowers on the ground and the small window it would be to many flowers?

• PRO
    Deborah Roides Interior Design
    7 years ago
    I recommend:
    1-add shutters to upper and side window. It will create texture, contrast and dimension and add a lot!
    2-add a bench or bistro set for a place to sit a while. this will provide an outdoor space to enjoy and also add color, texture and dimension.
    3-paint the railing white. This will give a crisp clean look and define the porch, yet relate to window trim.
    4-add a plant bed with some curve to it and later plants, tall near railing and then shorter in front.
    5-add grass in front of plant bed.
    6- paint front door an accent color from porch accessories
    7- add a potted plant and welcome mat
  • User
    7 years ago

@Aletha love the flowers. If you want a hanging basket you could hang it at the far end of the porch. The other flowers will be on the ground at the other end. Regardless you can't have too many flowers. Flowers make you smile and brighten up a place. Have you decided on a color yet?

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Deborah;

i have a lime green bistro table on the deck, my door is a dark teal. I added some flowers today and I just have a couple shrubs to get in the comings days, the deck will be a dark grey on the bottom and I'm thinking a white railing. And the grass seed had been spread, just waiting for it to grow :)

I have to get a couple small flowers to add to the bottom one in the picture above.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rollinggirl; my husband suggested we do the shutters the same as the door, but I'm still unsure of that. As for the color for the basement of the house, i' still stumped. :(

but it so far I'm loving all the suggestions from everyone, it's a great help!! And I'm so in love with my door color and flowers ( never though I would love flowers lol)

• User
    7 years ago

I think the shutters matching the door would look great. That teal a good rich color it looks right on that house. You don't have to have multiple colors to make it beautiful. For the basement color I would suggest continuing whatever color you chose for the porch. It would blend that way. The gray that's there now just looks like old concrete. A bright white porch and railings would be classic. Add to that the bunches of flowers and it would be a fresh welcoming home. When you paint the floor of the porch make sure you use a paint made for floors. It will last longer that way. I don't think you need much to dress it up. It's a really neat house to start with.

• User
    7 years ago

I didn't see the post with the pictures. I think your ideas are all spot on. It will be cohesive that way. The flowers will really brighten everything up and make your little one happy. A big plus in my book. I think the combo will look sharp. I forgot about your table and chairs, they'll add another color to the mix. That should be plenty of color to change the whole look.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I ended up getting a couple calla lilies and a day Lilly, at the request of my daughter; Lily. She thinks it's great to be named after a flowers.

I need to touch up my table, since the kids used markers and it went threw by mistake.

The bottom of the deck will go grey- a stain I think, so I think I will match the basement color to that, just hope it don't look to funny with the color of the siding..

I want to add some light purple and white flowers to the other small area. Should I still do a planter box on the window?
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We were waiting to build a new deck, but I think the husband wants to see about getting it done in the next few weeks. Now that I've planted a few flowers! Lol
  • User
    7 years ago

I love Lilies. My Gran was named Rose not that it has anything to do with this. Stain works better for concrete it won't chip and peel. For the table Krylon spray paint works great to cover that.

The siding is such a light neutral color I don't think you need to worry about clashing with it. I think a planter box with be really cute on the small window if you can still do it. As far as flowers go my theory is the more the better. I go for several colors, try to use perennials for the most part because they come back every year and I put them everywhere. That's me though I have a thing for color it equals cheer and welcome to me. I think you're on the right track. The dark gray on the basement would clean it up and make it crisp. It's just faded and tired right now.

• User
    7 years ago

Isn't that the way it goes? :)

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love color!! The hubby, not so much lol

I'm looking forward to this all being done just so I can see it all out together.

The house hasn't been touched out side in a few years, since the previous owners put the siding on. So I want to livenen the place up. I'm also debating painting the ceiling of the deck/porch. A lighter blue color and adding a new light, just to find the right flush mounted one.
  • User
    7 years ago

Light blue ceiling on front porches are historic in the South. They are a superstition meant to ward off evil. If that doesn't hit you either way I think it would look really good. For a light I would either go for something simple that fades away , or look for something period that fits the era.

• pattthecatt
    7 years ago

Pretty flowers. I would still get a window flower box. I ordered 2 cedar ones from etsy. Much cheaper than home depot. Lily (love that name) could help you water with a little watering can. You're doing a great job!

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Love the reason why the south paint the ceilings in the porch! ( my family believes in that as well)

My husband is pretty handy, he's going to build the planter box ( he just don't know it yet lol)
    And thanks, she's just a beautiful ( I may be a bit bias lol) both of my girls are ( Lily 7, Kaylee 5 and I have a step son Zack 7)
  • User
    7 years ago

I thought that was a neat bit of history. The historic district here in Savannah has lots of blue porch roofs. You see even more of them in New Orleans.

It's good to be able to plan things for him without his knowledge isn't it? If you use Pinterest I saw several window box patterns on there that were pretty simple. Nite all.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Well, the deck has been tore down ( husband was at work and came home to it done thanks to my dad and me, he was a little shocked lol) now he has the joy of rebuilding it today ( on 1 of his 2 days off) I'm thinking of going with a soils grey stain for the areas of walking on & a white/cream solid stain for the back of the stairs and the railings. Flowers have been finished till the planter box is completed for the small window. Once the deck is done and stained, the hubby is going to make the shutter for the 3 windows ( 2 up top & small window) I've also been questioning if I should do a decor piece for up in the roof and adding a little detail to the beams on the bridge like the couple pictures I've attached..

Also would it be strange to add curtains that could be closed to add a shaded area that can be used when the sun is on the front of the house.
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the other sample with Curtins I was looking at.

Wants to add something there that can be used for shade of the kids are our side playing and wants to get away out of the sun for a little break, or if I just wanted to go have a nice cup of tea without the sun cooking me lol
  • User
    7 years ago

Love the flowers. I think you could do something with some sail cloth that rolled down. It wouldn't get caught in the wind that way. That last detail would look right on your house. I hope he enjoys his deck build. Sneaky of you.

• User
    7 years ago

I see those would look very nice, just kind of airy and light. Why not?

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Rollinggirl; if I had to wait for his holidays to get it done, I would be waiting till August, and I'm to impatient to wait that long lol he said he would do it, so it's getting done and forgot about.

I was thinking the curtains because I could get some fabric paint and do something on the ends to make it more custom
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

I'm following along here-it looks great so far!

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Katinparadise; thanks! :)

We almost have the porch finished now, it started to rain on us so we had to stop, Hubby is going to make the railings tonight in the house then just attatch it tomorrow and finish the steps & base of the porch.
  • User
    7 years ago

Awesome. It already looks better.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Finally after a week of rain we have some more done...Now the get white for the railings and that much will be done. & the first coat on the roof porch is done & im loving it!!
  • User
    7 years ago

shutters could be any colour.

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Vstavy; thanks, but I've went with blue/teal tones

Should I paint the rest of the white on the roof that blue? Or leave it like it is?
  • Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    I say leave it how it is! I love how it turned out!!
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

I agree with leaving it as is. Great color!

• Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Well after a couple weeks of awful weather and busy with the kids. The front of the house is almost complete. Just the bottom of the deck to finish.
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

It's looking lovely!

• terry toon
    7 years ago
    Please remove the star and hang the dragonfly where the star was. Too many small items just looks cluttered.
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Terry toone;
    Thanks for your comment, but I've moved the dragon fly where it's to because it fits best there. Personal preference I guess. And my star stays put its from my kids.
  • G
    7 years ago
    I'm not understanding your choice of paint on the deck and railing...Teal door, taupe siding, blue ceiling and charcoal deck and railing. Also, your landscaping choices look bare, you've purchased one boxwood and a few calla lilies that will need to be dug up if they are to survive to next year. I guess I don't understand the posters who are looking for help, but ignore most of the suggestions that are given to them.
  • Aletha Walsh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    G L;
    I have a very tiny bit of space on the front of my house, that my kids use ( 5, 7 & 8 yrs old) so I done grass vs having flowers take it all over. We decided on the small flower beds due to the fact that we are painting our siding or replacing it this fall to a grey. As for the porch colours, and the stains, we done black and grey vs black and white to see how it was going to look. And like I've stated before I have small children so light colours don't always work. As for not understanding why people don't "listen" to what other recommendations, if you don't like a color will you paint something that color? No! It's ideas that you are asking people for and they share, it's up to you to decide if you will do it or not. I listened and done most of what people said. I knew what I wanted to do ( kind of) as for my door color but the rest I was a little lost on. But that's how it goes. My husband works 12 hr shifts and he's been the one doing things, so there for its not all done out side. I still have to paint my basement around, get my shutters put up, bottom of the deck finished etc. Maybe once that's all done you will have a different opinion on things.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.