vickyhwang

Painting a newly finished attic - What is wall and what is ceiling?

vickyhwang
11 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Am having a difficulty deciding what should be considered a wall and what should be considered ceiling in my newly finished attic. There are many exposed beams throughout and lots of slopes in each room. I would like to paint the walls a color and leave the ceilings white but not sure where the wall should end and ceiling begin. Should all vertical walls be considered wall and anything with an angle be considered ceiling? Or should I just paint everything walls, and slopes ceilings?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Your second photo brings me right to the stairwell scene in Hitchcock's "Vertigo," although I realize I'm looking up, not down. It's really rather wonderful. I'm just wondering, looking to the upper left in particular, if it's been recently checked out by a structural engineer.

As for paint, I'll be interested to see what others say. For me, who doesn't do a lot of white, I think I actually would stay with a white here. A muddy green might be nice as well, but you'd need to incorporate a bit of lighting -- perhaps uplighting along the beams unseen from below, with something amazing hanging from that cool, crazy peak you have.
    [houzz=
    Moravian Star Pendant Light · More Info
    ]
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Choosing the wrong cutoff can make the whole room look awkward. My rule of thumb is, if I can't readily differentiate wall and ceiling and decide a logical cutoff, paint it all a single color. It will look cleaner. That's what I've done in my daughter's bedroom, which has a big beam and different ceiling angles.
  • PRO
    Purcell Quality, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I created an idea book regarding attic spaces... I see multiple options, which all turned out wonderful. Take a look : http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7254999/thumbs/Attic-Spaces

Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    Oh, I meant to say that too soberg -- all one color.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.