tacedawson

Need to add privacy asap

tacedawson
7 years ago

Our new neighbours are turning this existing garage into a granny flat so really want some privacy on top of our colourbond fence... What would you suggest putting on top of the fence??? And how do you attach it to colourbond?

Comments (24)

• Sharon Bouchard
    7 years ago

Pencil pines in pots?

• Sharon Bouchard
    7 years ago

Contemporary La Jolla - landscape architecture, courtyard, pool, italian cypress · More Info
    or if you dig out the last paver and plant them...

They look wonderful when fully grown. (And it sure beats lattice)

Privacy & Screening · More Info

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

I don't know whether it might be possible to add screens of some sort above the fence, but I guess the first thing would be to see what the local council says about fence height. I might be inclined to look at something like clumping bamboo instead.

• Tina Steer
    7 years ago
    Tiger grass. It has the look of bamboo but not the hassle. Grows very fast, gets to about 2 metres but doesn't take up a lot of space, doesn't dry out the ground or make the soil sour doesn't drop much litter. I have it in the front yard and strip of the bottom leaves so you can see the lower canes.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    You can get extensions to colourbond fence in the same color it looks like lattice pattern and should be easy to attach since it's the same product.
  • macyjean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Colorbond lattice extensions are designed to raise the height of Colorbond fences or there are other fence extension products as well. But as jmm1837 said, you need to check your council's height regulations first. (Edited to say that I see before I clicked submit oskuee also suggested the extensions.)

Growing something would look nice but if you choose something fast growing chances are it will be a maintenance problem for you and your neighbours, and if you choose something that grows at a manageable rate you will be waiting a long time for it to provide privacy.

• joybell22
    7 years ago

How about bamboo, in pots.Measure how high you'd like it to grow and ask a bamboo supplier which variety would suit your needs.Im having planters made by a friend, for a privacy reason too, Pluss bamboo will add lovely greenery.

• Susan Vale
    7 years ago
    There's a fast growing hedge plant called Goodbye Neighbours. It's a native lilpilly. My sisters planted them 2 years ago and they are at 6ft already.
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    I'd try negotiating with the neighbours to get a brand new higher fence.
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    Agree. Talk to your neighbour, as it is likely that they want privacy as well. The couches l may require them to install privacy screens???
  • tacedawson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. I don't think they have got council approval to turn it from a garage to a self contained unit with kitchen in it grrrrrr. Do you think I could plant the above suggestions in pots or would it be better to take put the last pavers and plant directly in there? I think we might do some lattice and paint it same colour as fence and then get some plants. I saw the pencil pines at bunnings and liked them and they were quite reasonable in price too

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

Well, check with the Council. If they don't have approval for the conversion, they need to get it - depends on your situation, but we certainly filed an objection when our neighbours built a dam on their (urban) property without the permits. Council ordered the dam to be filled in at their expense.

• PRO
    Bali Oasis - Outdoor Living
    7 years ago

You could attach bamboo fencing to the original fence. It will beautify the area while adding extra privacy. It can be purchased in 1.8 , 2.1 and 2.4 metre high panels. Hope this helps . Examples below

bamboo fencing privacy screens · More Info

bamboo fencing privacy screens · More Info

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Hit the neighbours up for half the cost of a new taller fence, then plant in front
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    I do like bale oasis idea, perhaps they can contribute to that, @bali oasis, how do you keep bamboo fence looking nice, do you need to paint it?
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    Varnish it
  • John Henson
    7 years ago
    I built this for someone that had the same issue. The infill of the frames can be changed to suit your style. Originally I had designed it to have stainless wire in the frames and have a creeper grow on it but they wanted an instant screen so we decided on the bamboo.
  • PRO
    Bali Oasis - Outdoor Living
    7 years ago

we use acrylic stain on ours. keeps it nice and new looking!

• PRO
    CNP Interiors
    7 years ago

You could add some trellis to the top of the existing fence and then grow some vine up the fence. Trellis isn't that expensive and wild vine will help blend it all in.

This is Ivy.

• PRO
    Creative Style Interior Design
    7 years ago

If you like a tropical feel, try clumping bamboo. It's not invasive, gives you height and privacy but doesn't take up too much space out into the garden.

• Tina Steer
    7 years ago
    Pencil pines may cause problems to the pool.
  • User
    7 years ago

Colorbond fence extensions may need new posts in the fence.

• User
    7 years ago

Tina Steer,

pinus greyleadus pencilus has less root disturbing behaviour than pinus coloured pencilus.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.