buckleup2000

This or that - Abovemount Sink or Undermount Sink?

Luke Buckle
7 years ago

Given the choice in your next renovation, which sink style would you prefer?

There are advantages to both, but leave your own reasons in the comments...

Read more - All You Need to Know About Kitchen Sinks But Never Thought to Ask

Comments (13)

• robandlyn
    7 years ago

I have had both and far prefer an undermount. The comments above about a top mount are correct and I also think an undermount looks more classy.

• Najeebah
    7 years ago
    I prefer integrated, but where its a choice between over and under, I prefer over, as I feel it's easier to keep the rim dry, and thus clean than it would be with an under-mount
  • PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    7 years ago

Tend to prefer the undermount sink for the look. It really is a personal thing though.

Pullenvale · More Info

• azztyson
    7 years ago
    I love the undermount and will never change, for me aesthetically it's the best. The cleaning issue is the same for both, like with everything it just has to be done! But a wipe fixes that no big deal! I don't understand the chipping issue haven't had a problem in ten years and I'm not that careful. However I still remember the scratches on my lovely stainless steel flat edged drop in that I had previously never again.
  • SHELLEY SIMPSON
    7 years ago

Undermount can chip especially with heavy cast-iron cookware (Lecrueset etc.) but advantages far outweigh the overmount, which is unstable to prepare food , and seems to take up room on the bench.

• PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    7 years ago

I only specify an overmount sink for clients if the benchtop surface warrants one. The last time I did was because the client wanted a timber benchtop. I managed to find a beautiful black quartz composite sink that worked well and looked like a feature in the kitchen because it matched the colour of the cabinets. My usual go to sink is definitely undermount because of its aesthetic and practical advantages. Small chips can always be smoothed out if need be but really, there is no substitute for being careful!

• stzngardner
    7 years ago
    I own a kitchen company and have renovated kitchens. My choice would be an inset sink or drop in. Time and time again I have seen chipped surrounds in stone near the sink which is costly. The new streamlined drop in sinks look amazing! You can still choose not to have a drainer if you wish.
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    Thanks stzngardner, your feedback and the comment from Anna about needing to be careful I think rules put under mount sink for our kitchen upgrade..I don't want to be careful when handling my big pots and roasting pans, I want my kitchen sink to be robust, I cook a lot and use heavy pots and pans. I want a kitchen that works as well as looks good, the drop in sinks sound like a good choice, are they the same as flush mount? Thanks again stzngardner
  • PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    7 years ago

Wuff if you constantly use heavy and large pots and pans, you are making a wise decision! Find an attractive minimalist and small profile edge drop in sink and you will have the best of both worlds! I have a butlers pantry with a second drop in sink so I wash heavy things in that rather than in my kitchen sink. Better safe than sorry!

• Gayle Dent
    7 years ago

I voted drop-in for one main reason. If ever, in the future, you wanted to replace the sink (like mine because my clever son splashed a metal-corroding chemical on it), there is no need to totally lift the benchtop.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

prefer double deep drop in sinks with double drainers because i like to use the drainers for work surface but in my fantasy kitchen i would have all stainless steel benches with integrated sinks with drainers

• PRO
    Alliance Robes
    7 years ago

I prefer the look of the under mount but feel would be more difficult to keep clean

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.