wilaroney

Pendants or sconce over the sink?

wilaroney
7 years ago

Hello All,

We have an old home with 2 schoolhouse light fixtures in the kitchen and no lighting over the sink. During the winter it's hard to tell if dishes are getting clean! We're now getting quartz countertops, swapping the beadboard backsplash for tile, swapping this sink for a one-bowl stainless model, and adding lighting over the sink. We can't decide which is better: 2 pendants (maybe clear glass or mercury glass) or one sconce.

The pantry on the right is going away and will be replaced with countertop and glass-front cabinet. The pot-hanging thing over the stove will be replaced with a nickel-finish one. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• wilaroney
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out some goose neck lights.

• PRO
    Lights Online
    7 years ago

There are so many possibilities! An adjustable wall lamp might be a good idea because you can move it closer when you need the light and then put it back when you're done. Here's an example of that in a kitchen where they use Savoy House Morland wall lamps...

A single pendant that hangs down over and focuses on your sink is another possible idea too. You could even use another schoolhouse style pendant because those provide nice, bright light. Mercury glass is beautiful, but when you need to see if the dishes are clean, something with clear or opal glass would be better.

One possible idea (using a pendant in a different but complementary style)...

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Let me know what you think or if you have further questions!

wilaroney thanked Lights Online
  • wilaroney
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great ideas! Thank you.

• ocotillaks
    7 years ago

Here are a couple of repurposed light ideas that would work with you kitchen.

SKURAR lamp shade - IKEA Hackers · More Info

Restaurant supply and restaurant equipment CRESCO Gigantic inventory, distributi · More Info

Pandoro Mold, 2 qt. · More Info

Stainless Steel Colander, Wheat Design, 6 qt. · More Info

Elk Lighting Corrine Oil Rubbed Bronze & Chrome 10'' Wide Mini-Pendant · More Info

Steel Basket - White Floral · More Info

wilaroney thanked ocotillaks
  • Depo
    7 years ago
    I think adding pendant lights next to a hanging pot rack is too busy. I would put a flush mount schoolhouse or recessed can light over your sink. Keep it simple.
    wilaroney thanked Depo
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    7 years ago

We most often use recessed can lights over sinks and countertop. They project light directly down onto the working surfaces and work for task lighting.

wilaroney thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    Tru Builders LLC
    7 years ago

We agree with Norwood Architects! Recessed is easier maintenance, provides great wide lighting and does not take up any head room.

wilaroney thanked Tru Builders LLC
  • Katerine Staly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with the others who suggested gooseneck lights. 2 would look best in your space.

https://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=132550

wilaroney thanked Katerine Staly
  • wilaroney
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all -- I'm so glad I asked for advice. We'll either go with gooseneck or recessed. I'll post an after-photo! Cheers.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.