hokane2

Need help planning placement of niche within tile pattern

Heather
7 years ago

Hello!

We are remodeling our master bathroom and are just about ready to tile the shower. I've chosen 4" x 16" subway tiles for the walls and have a 24" x 16" Durock pre made niche. Is it possible to plan ahead so the tile will land in a way to avoid cutting right angles in the tiles around the niche? I'd like the niche to look as though it's resting on the tile line below it (if that makes sense).

Can I do some basic math (tiles x X + grout lines x X) or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    7 years ago

You can always start your wall tile and, when you are at about the level where you want the niche and a grout joint is appropriate, cut your wall there for the niche. Most studs are 16" so you should be able to center it there.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Avanti has a point. if you can adjust framing is always best or layed out in advance and committed! here, you can see a good inch on top/bottom?

that will get padded with more usg foam and end up "Just right" on the grout line

with youre niche and tile in hand and walls plum avantis way is a safer way to go .- best

• Heather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you or your responses! We have to adjust the framing before putting up the concrete backer and water proof layer to incorporate the niche, so I think I'll just have to guesstimate and see how it turns out.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.