emmelinewe

Have you tried the KonMari Method?

Emmeline Westin
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Decluttering is a popular topic on Houzz and we have discussed it a few times in the Advice section, too. Marie Kondo is the queen of decluttering and organising, and has developed an efficient method she calls KonMari - it's pretty ruthless, but apparently works as her book has sold over 3 million copies worldwide!

Have you tried her method?

Comments (24)

• Najeebah
    7 years ago

nope, but I've tried the push-all-in-and-close-the-door-before-it-pushes-back method... seriously, her folding methods are practical, but I fold and stack up things, and de-clutter small sections at a time

• User
    7 years ago
    yes and it's magic!
  • PRO
    Signature Interiors
    7 years ago

I read the book!!

• gillcar
    7 years ago
    Hmmmm.... As a lifelong clutterer I bought the book in the vain hope it would help me to become the neat freak I knew was waiting to be discovered. A chapter in, some strategies were really appealing and I thought, yes, I can do this!
    But then reality hit. I will never be one to thank items for serving me before I bin them... and I lost respect for the whole concept when she spoke of unpacking her handbag every night and putting each item away....seriously??! I'm far too busy cramming new purchases into the wardrobe....where would I hide them if everything was on view all the time??
    And now the book is cluttering up my bedside table.... Definitely not sparking joy!!
  • Sathya Srinivasan
    7 years ago
    Yes! First the book inspires you and second, the concept never leaves you! Now, I always think before I buy, find a place for it at home before I buy...and the folding is a brilliant tip. My friend who was intrigued about the book read just one chapter and was culling things in her house soon after. This is also because I admire the Japanese love for simplicity and minimalism, though my house is far from it. Some day, perhaps.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    My theory ... this is just a good marketing ploy to get us to discard all our stuff, so we then have to go and buy new stuff, to replace what we threw, out when we need whatever it was next ?
    But I'm happy to be proved wrong !
  • Najeebah
    7 years ago
    I think the principle of getting only what you need and like is great, and solves many issues
  • obobble
    7 years ago
    I think if you are single it could work. No point sorting your own clutter if the rest of the family just expand theirs to fill the space. The folding is a good idea but comes unstuck if teenagers dump clean stuff on the floor rather than putting it away!
  • wilmet45
    7 years ago
    Yes- but at first I was cynical ( say thank you to your shoes?)
    But, I moved from the family home , where I had lived for over thirty years, to a smallish apartment last year, and I found it really helped with the emotional side of decluttering that downsizing inevitably brings. And yes, I agree with a precious poster, the mindset continues, so that you do actually consider purchases very carefully. Plus, I have very tidy cupboards.
  • Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Stab monkey I like your style! Your comment made me laugh out loud!
  • stabmonkey
    7 years ago

Thank you.

• PRO
    Clear the Chaos
    7 years ago

All I can say is 'socks'

• soozmacrae
    7 years ago

I have not read this book, but now I feel a trip to the book shop is on the cards.

• PRO
    Think tidy
    7 years ago
    As a professional declutterer and organiser myself, reading the book was a must. It's interesting and the folding of clothes method definitely works. Everything else is not practical or suited to everyone. It's Spring Cleaning Week this week, no excuses for some decluttering.
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes! I found some of the strategies helpful (like who knew how much space you could save by rolling socks?!) I did find some her suggestions a little extreme, and not practical when you have small children.

Her description of what to do when you come in from work made me laugh (serenely walking to wardrobe to unpack handbag and store in a cloth bag etc); she didn't mention how you achieve all of that with a toddler pulling at your leg, a baby hanging from your hip and a dog going wild because he's pleased to see you!

• PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    7 years ago

I am an avid de-clutterer & I admit I am always decluttering something. I personally love to live minimally, in reality we still need to have things on hand that we use.

I am very restrictive with what comes in my space, I don't have nick knacks and things around and everything has its place. At the end of a day everything is back in its place yet I cant say I empty my handbag into a cloth bag ( well I have no handbag so that would be a tricky one ). Gosh I already get up at 5am I am sure if I read the book I would need to adjust that to 4.30 !!! That may be extreme in an already full life.

The most `full` space is of course my office, I would love to only have minimal in this space however that just would not work. Mind you I declutter this space regularly.

I love the feeling of getting rid of things whatever they may be. It is a great feeling.

I loved reading every ones comments .... many funny comments made me laugh out load.

• PRO
    All Organised
    7 years ago

I also read the book for "research" as a professional organiser. I think the method is a bit extreme for most of our clients. The folding method looks absolutely amazing when done, but you have to be quite disciplined to keep on top of it. Interestingly we were working with an older client last year who had hoarding tendencies. She was thanking the items for their use before donating to charity and had never heard of MK. It is the same as any self help book - choose the bits that work for you. Happy #SPRINGCLEANIGWEEK everyone.

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 years ago

I, like many other professional organisers, read the book as research. I have read many books on organisation and each one I think offers a little something.

However, I would never advocate that someone declutter every item of clothing in one sitting! Or any of their other possessions come to that.

I am (obviously) an organised person and need to do little declutters as a form of maintenance. For someone who hasn't decluttered in a long time - tackling it all at once is a recipe for a breakdown!

I always think you should take things one step at a time.

To me, decluttering is a cathartic experience - its a way of setting yourself free from the unnecessary stuff that we tend to accumulate.

Always happy here at Eden Home Solutions to offer advice - just drop us a line.

xj

• PRO
    Bella Whiteley Interiors
    7 years ago

NO.

( SHAKES HEAD ;-)) )

• PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    7 years ago

I agree with the Cathartic affect mentioned by Eden Home Solutions. Especially if you are a hoarder or `good` at collecting things. And especially if you are the sort of person who attached emotion and life`s happenings` to objects or times in your life when you purchased certain things. People also use `buying` stuff as a feeder of emotions so it can be a powerful experience. Less so for me as I have noticed that as I have moved through much of life seeking minimal I am extremely happy to ditch more stuff. It is a `practice` to practice.

• acew1234
    7 years ago
    It's worked wonders in my t shirt drawer. All my tshirts are on view when I open the drawer. I do have many more black tshirts than I thought!
  • cheezilla
    7 years ago

I KonMari-ed my clothes two years ago and have been amazed that my drawers have stayed tidy and organised and I have never had to redo them. I am definitely not a tidy, organised person and I have a lot of clothes! After laundry, I just fold the clothes and pop them back in their slot in the drawer. It takes negligibly more time than my old haphazard way but saves hours of re-folding and tidying later. I love how I open my t-shirt drawer and can just pluck out the one I want without crumpling all the other. Mari Kondo is clearly OCD and sounds to have been a pain while she was growing up with her family but she has helped many people by turning that trait into a gift. I also really enjoyed her approach to life. She is so full of appreciation and gratitude for everything. She must be very inspiring to be around! I'm very glad I read her book.

• Rayna Tullett
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have avoided the book. It's perfectly possible to keep my ordinary little home clean, tidy and spacious without discarding everything.
    I appreciate the idea of only keeping things that spark joy or are necessary, but what about the things that spark memories, or that are important to loved ones who visit me? And - I don't know about you, but! - I find that about a week after I've thrown out something that I'd kept 'in case it came in useful' the day arrives when it was actually needed.

Sounds like I'm a clutterer or hoarder, but no. I'm a storer, archiver and a resource for my family and friends who have gone the minimalist route.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.