e11ie

Dilemma in Paris!

Luciana
7 years ago
Hi all!
I have no idea what to do improve this 'space' we have in our Paris flat, outside the kitchen. I don't even know how to describe it... It's basically a small interior terrace in between two blocks of flats.
It's normally pretty clean, although the upstairs flats kitchen windows face this space, except for the rare cigarette butt, we've never had the neighbours throwing stuff out there. Recently however, they've been doing some maintenance work on the roof and lots of gooey yuckness fell on the pavement, staining it. I think that's finished now, but we've been left with a really disgusting floor.
I'd like to do something to make this space look better, but I'm not sure what. Pressure washer to clean it firstly, but then what? Should we buy some AstroTurf? Paint the pavers? Artificial plants? We're only there couple of times for a few weeks a year, so real plants are out of the question.

I'd appreciate any kind of suggestion, I just don't know what to do. Many thanks!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Bistro table and chairs perhaps ? On an outdoor rug ?! For breakfast alfresco !

Obviously you will need to add some fab object d'art too - home made of course !!!
    Luciana thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    Nicky Percival Limited
    7 years ago

Astroturf is a great fun idea and you can get amazing artificial trees these days - maybe a bench so you can get some fresh air every now and again. Enjoy!

Luciana thanked Nicky Percival Limited
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Karen, but we already have those on the back balcony. Normally we just dump the rubbish bags there until DH is ready to take them to the basement.

It's not important, you can't see the space unless you're in the kitchen (it's through the open window in the second pic.) But I'd love to 'beautify' it somehow - I just don't know how...
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good idea, Nicky. My only reserve is about those cigarette butts... AstroTurf is plastic so it melts, it can't be set on fire, right?
  • samwilliams007
    7 years ago
    How about a glass roof enclosure with a gap to open up to collect the cigarette ends. (So you can post them back through there letterbox
    Luciana thanked samwilliams007
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Latest News!!

My darling husband refused to let some other man have fun; instead of hiring someone to clean the tiles, he went out, bought a pressure washer and started playing with it himself.
    Boys and toys, right? I mean, we might need it again in 5 years, but hey! we now have one, so what if it's just going to be stored in a corner and clutter the space....
    He didn't even change out of his jeans... So he is having fun at the moment; I'll let you know how it ends....
  • PRO
    Nicky Percival Limited
    7 years ago

Hhmm - polished coloured concrete would be prettier than what you have and is completely indestructable. You could accessorise with marble/stone sculptures - all incur costs but could be worth it - the French do a nice line in concrete picnic benches..................definitely artificial trees and string up some out door lights !

Luciana thanked Nicky Percival Limited
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    How about a large decorative tile panel on the wall opposite the kitchen door, fixed to a backing board and frame if you can't fix to the wall.
    Luciana thanked temple274
  • PRO
    Complete Group UK
    7 years ago

Depends on how much you want to spend.

AstroTurf is a good first step. Perhaps bi-fold doors opening out and folding (viewed from the outside) towards the down pipe excluding it from view slightly.

Mirrors would be good too, to bounce light and give a subtle feel of infinity. Light colour and different textures and some artificial plants would also add to the illusion of depth and space.

It has the potential to be absolutely fabulous!

Luciana thanked Complete Group UK
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

I know this is not a political site, but with the situation in Nice, this feels just so trivial. Yes, life goes on and I'll probably be back in a couple of days, but right now I just can't gather enough energy to care about the terrace.

Stay well and take care. Luciana
  • PRO
    Complete Group UK
    7 years ago

Yes I agree and understand the world is a very fragile place.

Luciana thanked Complete Group UK
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello Luciana,

A walled terraced is lovely and with the given height you have.. Why not commission your husband to make some tiered planters or steps if you prefer.... with a row or one large faux espalier tree.. Faux buxus and perhaps astro turf edged with some gravel would then give you a lovely backdrop for one of these benches.. Concrete and wood and the most beautiful design..

I've taken inspiration from all these images to suggest a scheme.. and faux or artificial is a gr8 idea from Nicky if you don't get enough light to support the real deal!

For lighting why not poke a directional garden light into the back of a plant pot in soil behind said plant that angles up the wall to illuminate the space beautifully..

: ))

Bench

Suggested design for astro turf and gravel design with buxus and tall planters.. (I don't like the seat or hurricane lamp)

Steps to add height.. (not focusing on the plants in this one!)

Artificial espalier tree..

Potted Olive for another example.. Faux of course where light is a problem..

Solar but you can get powered versions..

Luciana thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi all!
    And apologies for not replying sooner - we've been busy with other stuff. Unfortunately, I managed to trip and twist my ankle a couple of days after my last post and all shopping trips for the terrace were postponed until 2 days ago when walking was not painful any more.

Haven't been that successful with online shopping either; the first mirror came smashed, I bought some sort of outdoor felt instead of artificial grass, couldn't get the pots delivered quicker, etc. etc. Funnily enough, the artificial topiary that we ordered from Britain came on time and it was the right thing!! :))

Anyway, to cut the story short, we decided to finish the place in September when we'd be back for a couple of weeks. The topiary need some tallish pots, I'm going to order those well in advance, maybe some fake ivy. The artificial grass was too much laid over the whole floor, it just darkened the place significantly, so I decided not to use it for now. So far it looks a bit too formal, I might buy some metal birds or butterflies to hang on the wall. Until then, I left a cat in charge with looking after the place :))

Many thanks again for all your ideas! I'll post more photos in September when it will be, hopefully, finished.
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hey all! Not much in terms of progress, I've ordered some planters from Germany last week before leaving Cardiff and they're not here yet. I guess I'll need to send a strong worded email - they said they deliver in up to 5 working days. I wonder if Google translate would be any good, as I don't think the phrases I know in German would be appropriate for inquiring about planters...

I used some fake ivy I brought with me on the wall, I think I placed that panel a bit too high, but until I get the planters to see how they all work together, I'm just going to let it be.
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finally, the planters got here today. We were meeting some friends this afternoon and I didn't have enough time to play, but managed a quick arrangement. I'm going to redo it tomorrow, I actually have two more of the low planters but I realised 4 of them were too much and settled for 2. I need to nag Andrew to rehang the mirror as the screws we used before were too weak - I bought some heavy duty ones this time.
    Overall, I think I'm going to keep the arrangement slightly asymmetrical. I know I'm missing something, maybe colour, the whole space looks too formal but, as its main use is keeping the rubbish bags there until we take them to the basement, I think it will do :))!

• joeybumdy
    7 years ago

Looks great

Luciana thanked joeybumdy
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I played some more with everything and got now to a stage where I'm more or less happy, meaning I can't be bothered to fiddle with things anymore. I kept thinking it needs to be more asymmetrical in a symmetrical way; the breakthrough came when I had the brilliant idea (ha!!) to stuck up the planters in an wonky way. I had to put my engineer hat on and think how to manage to balance and fix the arrangement in a way that the top planter would stay without using glue or anything like that, just in case I want to reuse the pots later. So I went and bought polystyrene sheets and cut them to fill the portion of the plater that's suspended and added lots of gravel on the end that stays on top. And it worked!

Andrew was great, as always, he offered to paint the walls; unfortunately we chose a colour that's darker/yellower than the original hue, but at least it looks clean. However, the big however, my darling husband managed to spill paint everywhere, even though I put newspapers all over the floor. Just don't ask how in the name of all that's holy he achieved that feat, apparently it's trade secret and he can't share! He said he's going to bring the pressure washer out and clean it (I suspect he did it on purpose so he can play with water again!)

Anyway, the light is not great right now, but this is how it looks... a bit like a hotel reception, right? (please ignore the fact that I couldn't be bothered to finish sweeping the floor before taking the photo:))

This is it! It's still colourless and a bit too pretentious, but truly, I've had it with it. What do you think?

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I think it looks lovely!
    Luciana thanked Carolina
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    I like it. It's come out really well. Do you have any lighting in the space? Perhaps you could hide an uplighter or two to shine through the foliage at night (unless you hide it all behind curtains or shutters then!)
    Luciana thanked temple274
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Carolins and temple!

Temple, I like the uplighters idea, the lighting there is quite poor. But there's no outlet for it, maybe solar would work? I'm going to have to ponder this one, thank you :))

• Jonathan
    7 years ago

Front Loggia Design · More Info
    How about adding lanterns or hurricane lamps?

Luciana thanked Jonathan
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great idea, thanks Jonathan- and I know you've mentioned it before. I have to go shopping again...

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.