buckleup2000

Is there anything worse than bin juice?

Luke Buckle
7 years ago

If you're like me, you have to take the bin out every week - maybe even more than once a week. And more often than not, it's gross.

But there's that inevitable stench that comes when the liquids in the bottom of your bin drip out and leave a foul odour that can hang around in your nose and your home for days!

Urban Loft - Storage Solutions · More Info

Is there anything else in your home that is as bad?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Grace Chamia
    7 years ago

Yah, my laundry sink. I have to keep it plugged. Best keep that door shut. Or call a plumber.

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

A full laundry basket of damp clothes

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    7 years ago

Probably not worse but on par, the leftover food that are trapped in the sink strainer!

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Bin juice after Christmas seafood!
  • judy69a
    7 years ago
    I found the drink bottle of my daughters sitting on the floor after she removed it from her bag and desired to wash it out for her however what I didn't know till I took of the lid that it was a few days old and had veg juice combo with kale in it .
    The smell was more than bad !
    She told me later she was going to cut her losses and bin her drink bottle .
  • chubbychicky
    7 years ago
    Cat litter tray smell!! When you come in the door after a weekend away and the house has been shut up with two cats in it........ Disgusting!
  • User
    7 years ago

Broccoli that has gone bad.

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Dead rodent in wall or ceiling space in summer, just rising up before home open
  • Jodie Bennett
    7 years ago
    Put a couple of sheets of paper towel in the bottom of your bin before you put the bag in. The juices are a lot easier to deal with that way.
  • dohraime
    7 years ago

Leachate. And here I was calling it "chook bucket juice". I shall store that word away in my vocabulary. Learn something new everyday!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have you got chooks, Doh?

• dohraime
    7 years ago

No, but had them growing up. Emptying the chook bucket was one of the chores. Leachate splattering over your feet and legs - so gross.

I did have a few at my last place, some years back. Lately, I've been deliberating about taking one in that has been ostracized at my brothers place. Then maybe getting a couple bantys so has it has company.

• User
    7 years ago

Sounds like a good idea. We have light sussexes.

i hope the ostrach got into trouble.

• dohraime
    7 years ago

Lol, Somehow I knew the ostrich joke was coming. I was tempted myself.

• User
    7 years ago

• User
    7 years ago

Houzz, the pics are getting too small! And often when I click on other peoples pics they come up just as small, or smaller!

• jaydub0
    7 years ago

Dead potato is pretty rank.

As for the bin, I've beaten bin smell by composting potential bin juice candidates, and by keeping a bag in the freezer for any potentially smelly (meat) wrappings or (tuna) tins to go into.

• suzineedsahouse
    7 years ago

Bin jam

• dohraime
    7 years ago

Ew!

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

I never have bin juice, as I wash all my containes for recycling.

My scraps are actually tossed out on the farm in a discreat place as I haven't got chooks but the crows and other birds get into it.

As for non recycling material, I bag it real well and usually never have a leak with it either.

• Fiona
    7 years ago
    Stinky fish dogs. I walk my dogs by the river and there are waaaay too many fisher-idiots that think leaving carp on the bank is disposing of them properly. Just fabulous to have your dogs roll in gleefully after a few days cooking in the sun.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

Haha fiona-b, (not) actually that is the correct method for disposing of carp, they are to be left well up the bank otherwise they have been known to be abe to flip themselves back into the water from quite some distance, as they stay alive for what seems like a really long time.

It's actually illegal to put the fish back into the water if you catch it and I guess there isn't a "bin it" spot for carp!!

When other fish are caught and cleaned, the remains I think are thrown back in for the birds etc... but not so with the carp.

Howevr, I would hate to be smelling the dogs too haha

My dog once rolled in something dead when I had her away from home in a paddock and I couldn't do a thing about it and she was with me in the tractor (close quarters) it was horendous!!

• liddielolamum
    7 years ago

If chooks/worms etc aren't an option, wrapping scraps in newspaper helps. My landlady in high school taught me this. Newspaper may be rare, though!

• User
    7 years ago

It's still around. We deliver it.

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    @TTT I love my weekend paper newspaper delivery. Often think of the deliveryman and wonder how long the deliveries will last before demand gets too low.
  • Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Barbara, i love your ideas of avoiding bin juice. perhaps we need a new thread of ways to deal with waste. I have chooks next door i could feed scraps too.

• jaydub0
    7 years ago

@Luke Buckle, I had a friend offer up scraps for my chooks while we were away for several weeks. On returning to find a mess in the pen I had to explain they don't eat tea bags, citrus peel or onion skins.

• Kerrie Chapman
    7 years ago

My mum used to have to take her household rubbish to the local tip and on one occasion one of the bags leaked stinky bin juice all over the carpet in the car's footwell. I inherited the car a couple of years later, and in hot weather we would get enveloped in eau de parfum bin juice. No amount of professional detailing and shampoos could get rid of it. In our house, any kitchen waste that might create bin juice, goes into a bag that stays in the freezer until bin collection day. Another rank smell that's hard to beat are potatoes that have gone rotten.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.