katieme2015a34

brought armchairs on impulse help!

katieme2015a34
7 years ago
hi currently decorating my living room waiting for my three seater sofa to be delivered and saw two armchairs at a bargin in desperate need of restoration and went ahead and brought it. dont know if i made a mistake as my current style is more contemporary but please help me to tie in the look. they need a lick of paint and upholstering. i am going to paint them in white but not sure on fabric was thinking a neutral printed one as i like neutral environments any suggestions these are the style of chairs i purchased sorry couldnt get a picture of the actual ones as they are stored away in the garage. i have also attached a picture of the bay area (which they will go) and i also attach the fabric sample of my new modern sofa

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Ledesma Design
    7 years ago

Brocade .. big bold and stand alone. As accent chairs they're perfect! Dont water them down by repeating the other colours or patterns.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago

Although - I must add I do agree that they would also be fine just as they are too (mentioned above by Ledesma)

• katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thanks i love the pattered fabric on the first picture who is the fabric from?
  • teenytinyhouse
    7 years ago

PRO

CreatePerfect has it bang on, I'd say! What a find, they will look lovely! Do post an "after" pic so we can see the final result!

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    7 years ago

They are nice chairs, paint with chalk paints and upholster in a neutral fabric with double piping instead of the close nails

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hi,
    Sorry - I can not think of the fabric off hand. It was sometime ago unfortunately. We used fabric mostly from Nordic Style on Lots Rd in London.

This is similar and I am sure there are lots of others available with a little research.

https://www.the-millshop-online.co.uk/browse-by-colour/whites-creams.html

We offer a procurement service if you have difficulties finding it. Best of luck. I am sure they will look great.
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I would paint them dark and then choose a light fabric.
  • Vonn
    7 years ago

You don't want this chair really. Therefore could I have it pretty please? This is totally gorgeous. What a find. Am well jell.

• katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    oh no i love it, its just my new sofa style is so modern was worried how it would fit into a contemporary living room design and welcome any ideas how to tie everything in. this is the before pic will post an after picture as soon as complete
  • Vonn
    7 years ago

For what you it's worth and even though I have serious chair envy. It is the most perfect mix I think for a modern room. An antique leather might work, but I would go bold, with maybe aubergine, duck egg blue or a lovely slate grey. All are very current at the moment and also will never date. Can't wait to see it.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Great - look forward to seeing it complete
  • alyper
    7 years ago

Seems a shame to destroy the look of the chairs: get some old fashioned beeswax polish and let them glow. Get cushions for the settee in complementary colourways to link them into a cohesive look.

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I know you said you like neutral, but I would suggest a bold fabric to give them a modern twist. Something like...
    Up the Garden Path - Teal · More Info
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    And I would paint the frame black.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    This is a cool look too
    Mallin Cres - Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Mazur Creative Studio
    7 years ago
    These chairs are perfect as they are and very rich, hence the reason of your purchase. They will stand alone and bring character and colour to your room. Add decorative cushions with colours and pattern, this will change your room completely.
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thank you! i cant makeup my mind inam currently light sanding them as the previous owner has attempted to repaint them and done a very bad job. i know some of u suggested a black frame and bold fabric but inam so scared it will go wrong. i really like the glamorous look but like a neutral scheme. my new sofa is arriving in a few dsys perhaps if i post a picture of my current scheme u can all help me making the correct decision thanks
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    carolins i also love your suggestions
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ok so i have decided to go for a more contemporary print still neutral as i want it all to look glamourous so perhaps i can add some colour with accessories. i am so indecisive the more i look at fabrics the harder it is to decide especially as i have kids and need to think practical these are some of the fabrics i like
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    and these
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    the second fabric sample on the first photo the geometric one has a shimmer and looks
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    which one would you choose?
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hello again, I know it's hard to make decisions and hard to picture the item.
    What colour are you going for with the frame?
    I think the first picture fabric is best. You need to consider the points where the fabric is pulled which sometimes doesn't work well with larger stripes.
    I look forward to seeing it finished.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    The second one should work nicely too.
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    hey thanks thats a great point thanks so that takes the stripes away, frame is going to be painted with annie sloane old white which one do you mean by second
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    In order as you see them above I would go for either on the first image of samples or the second image sample :)
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    How is your living room looking now?
  • Vonn
    7 years ago

Some of the designs here are stunning. So much choice, so few chairs.

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    First picture, the sample on the left or the one in the second picture look really nice.
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    its me again, argh all prints i like the colour is completely off with the cokour of the sofsor not suited for upholstery these are the only ones i found though very expensive am i playing it safe with the colours wished i would have got a more neutral colour for the sofa i like neutral schemes dont know what to do
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last floral one not really my style to traditional
  • alyper
    7 years ago

Most suggestions have been go for colour! No need to spend loads on fabric to get what you want - look in John Lewis for example. My d-in-law had a similar old chair upholstered in velvet effect scarlet to go alongside two sofas covered in cream - end result great!

• katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    update on chair needs another coat of paint and now that i have had time to think i have taken in your comments and have narrowed the fabrics to 2 choices
  • katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    fabric choice first one has a sandy brackground and a black velvety print second is a bronzy background with a plum coloured print and sofa swatch is on top which one would you go for
  • teenytinyhouse
    7 years ago

Second one!

• katieme2015a34
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    update i am over the moon with the finished chairs look thank you so much for your help you are all amazing
  • Vonn
    7 years ago

Love it. absolutely perfect. Sit down with a nice glass of something fizzy. Happy Days.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.