luke_sg3

Are homeowners responsible for maintenance?

melissa lam
7 years ago

I have some cracking in my walls and ceiling. Has anyone else had this?

Just read this story on Red Wire Times that says

"It says that homeowners are responsible for the maintenance of their flats, which includes repairing ceilings which are peeling off."

Is this true? Can anyone help? DO i have to pay for this myself? It is my first home.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    7 years ago

From the picture its is rather evident that there is a moisture issue from unit above. You can try and patching up on your side a little. I can see from the picture also that there has been a patching job in the past as well. Seems to be a water sea page problem from unit above. This is usually caused by tiling the floor without proper water proofing or can also result over time from grouting coming loose and water seaping in slowly through cracks.

This is a common problem with older apartments.

My advice is to take a gift to your neighbour upstairs and approach the problem as constructively as possible and hopefully your upstairs neighbour will take responsibility and fix the problem. Most effective way to fix it is to attend to the water proofing or 'lack of' from unit above.

Whatever little patch job you decide to do from your unit below, will only be temporary and often pushes the water elsewhere.

Hope this helps?

• chewie_91
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi,

I do have this issue in my place as well. I believe it's a concrete spalling issue commonly seen in older HDB flats, caused when the steel reinforcement within a concrete slab begins rusting and starts to expand causing the concrete ceiling to crack

I had asked my contractor to help fix the issue during our renovation at no additional charge. However, if you're not undergoing any renovation at the moment, you might like to refer to the HDB website, that do provide guidelines on resolving this issue that includes an estimated pricing as well.

Hope it helps you!

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/living-in-an-hdb-flat/home-maintenance/spalling-concrete

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.