61tinkerbell

New Chairs arrived - I HATE, HATE, HATE them!

tinker_2006
7 years ago

I feel ill... sick to my stomach. I've been waiting 10+ weeks for my furniture to arrive (Ethan Allen). This is the first time in my life I actually accepted a designers help, mainly because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with a new home, that is completely empty.

My floors are a warm, light European Oak. My style is relaxed COTTAGE/FARMHOUSE. Designer came to my home, I showed her pictures of my old home (which the buyers purchased furnished)

So the chairs... I like the style, but I HATE the wood tone - it's almost black, and I just hate it. Any idea what to do besides try and sell these and start over?

My kitchen and the stool is what I have on order.

The new chairs

Comments (138)

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    Wow...this is from EA Santa Fe finish.
    No wonder you are upset. Altho, I like them...lol
    tinker_2006 thanked Kathy
  • RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    I love your chairs and the dark finish..such a beautiful compliment to your foors.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Katherine, yes.. it was a bit of a shock when I first saw them.. not expecting them to be almost black. I wasn't home when they were delivered, and my husband immediately called me as asked if I ordered black... so, yes.. it was a bit of a shock!

I'm not sure if it is all the comments or what, but they seem less ugly to me today. Now I'm confused if I should keep them or have them redone to the Santa Fe (which is really a rich medium warm brown/gray color).

The rug... I'm surprised I found one I like so quickly! It's a handmade, one of a kind Oushak rug that I have on loan from a local rug store. I wish it was a little wider, like a 9x10 or 10x10 (it's an 8x 10)... but I think it will work. I have 2 of these sofa's on order - in a cream/off white

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

How soon do you expect the coffee table and sofas to be delivered? Wondering if EA will let you make a decision on the chairs after these other items are delivered?

• User
    7 years ago
    I love the rug. You may want to go up a size. Can you show a photo of the whole space?
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hummmm... this is my third attempt to post! It's a one of a kind rug.. I'm searching for something similar with no luck! :(

Getting dark outside - but here are some photo's

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• absg99
    7 years ago
    Okay- I have been following along and want to jump in:
    -I think the color of the chairs is great--- even more so having seen the photos of the room in its entirety.
    -the rug feels a bit small, esp given the other items you will be adding. Would you consider layering it on another rug possibly sisal?

Beautiful space!
  • User
    7 years ago
    Are you planning on the sofas in an L shape and a sofa table with lamps behind the sofa parallel with the island? May work, but bigger is better IMHO. You could have all of the legs on a larger rug to ground the living space.
    I have a big open family room and had a rug cut and bound for the room. All furniture sits on the rug so it's not floating.
  • User
    7 years ago
    Merida and Stark are two brands that have lovely natural fiber rugs. Probably would come out less than yours, a different look, but would be really pretty. It would give the room some texture. You could keep it all monochromatic or do a deeper charcoal which may be nice.
  • cineus
    7 years ago
    Love the chairs. Finish room before you change. Add few more black in both rooms. Black bar stools would look great in your kitchen.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

absg99 - I haven't seen this before.. so I'll explore!

SandyC. - EXACTLY my plan! I'm going to keep looking - but I just LOVE this rug - (which normally takes me many attempts)

• Andrea H
    7 years ago
    Those chairs are gorgeous and they work well with your floor
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

The chairs are perfect. They will add an exclamation point to all your other furniture.....I read that the designer, Alexa Hampton, said when you add one color to a room it appears jarring but as you add more bits and pieces of the same color the intensity level goes down in the room.....and I am sure you will be adding possibly frames, art objects, pillows, lighting, etc to the room in minute amounts as the design evolves....and yes, I do envy you the ability to do Ethan Allen. I have some of their pieces and love love love them.....good luck and I feel bad for your stress. It is all part of design and I think you have a very good designer in EA.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone - I'm breathing so much better.. and again, I'm not sure if I like the chairs better or if everyone is convincing me that I do! LOL

Barstools.. I really, really want wood - I want my home to feel "relaxed" and I have 6 small grandchildren - but the whole reason I started this post was because of the color black! What other color stools will work besides black? Do you think the limed gray stools I posted before will work?

• User
    7 years ago

I love the limed gray stools and think they will work so beautifully in your kitchen! They also complement your living room furniture and floors.

tinker_2006 thanked User
  • RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    the lime wash will work..an ebony wash could also work
    tinker_2006 thanked RubyRoses
  • Sharon
    7 years ago
    Your house is going to be gorgeous. Your floors and kitchen are stunning.
    tinker_2006 thanked Sharon
  • Kristy C.
    7 years ago
    I like the dark chairs. I would change the barstool.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

The chairs look great, contrast is nice. I agree, I would change the barstool for white or as dark as the chairs. Once rug and the other furniture are in place , I am sure that you will like the ambiance the designer wanted. give him or her a chance, wait until it is finished.

• leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I get that you ordered something and got another color but you know that things can look even more interesting if everything does not match exactly. Subtle color variations can help rooms from looking too matchy, matchy.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank again... I'm liking the mistake more and more. I should mention - the "Designer" is an Ethan Allen in house designer/salesperson. She has never even seen my house!!! .... I was shopping, and using her to give me confirmation of my choices. I have asked for her thoughts, but many of her ideas.. I'm sorry to say, I didn't like! I'm pretty much on my own here with all the great help with all of YOU!

• momsemail
    7 years ago

Have you looked at the restoration hardware metal stools?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Your chairs are lovely just is very hard to picture it finished with them sitting in a empty room...usually takes A week or two to get used to new furniture..they will soften as you add layers to the room...no worries..it will be gorgeous!

• Cate Taylor
    7 years ago

I love LOVE the chairs! And agree with other commentors...that it adds visual interest to have different wood tones...and if you had many pueces with very similar wood tones, it could appear you tried to match everything perfectly but "missed" the mark..

I hope they continue to grow on you as they are SO stylish~!

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

Tinker- anything new to report?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

tedbixby... they have grown on me! It is an error by Ethan Allen, and they are willing to exchange for the right color... I have to decide. These are the same color as the one I ordered, except they black they wipe off more with the Santa Fe and leave more on with the Port.

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

Are they willing to let you wait to decide until the sofas and coffee table arrive?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tedbixby - I'm pretty sure that the sofas will be here within the next 10 days (so I've been told) based on my experience with their ordering and delivery times, I'm sure the replacements are no where close to production, so yes... I will have time to make a final call.

To mix things up... I decided to return the large black piece to Restoration Hardware. I like it, but I'm unhappy with the quality of it. It almost feels like plastic (maybe it is). The areas that were scratched before delivery were corrected by a black sharpie marker. However, I found a replacement that I personally love. I stopped into Ethan Allen's yesterday and they have a new cabinet on display, and I love it.

It's this one - in a dark slate. (this photo makes it look blue, but it's slate - almost black)

• Kris Ritter
    7 years ago
    Would the designer come out to your home?
    Could you take them pictures?
    Will there be an area rug with the chairs?
    The chairs are pretty but sounds like you were thinking something more "cottagey"...so that may be the direction of your next pieces.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

okritter, yes.. the designer has been out to our home, and we have samples of the flooring, walls, etc.. when we visit her. Yes, definitely trying for a "sophisticated" cottagey/farmhouse feel. There is another thread with rugs!

Torn Between Two Lovers.

The natural rug quickly went out the door. I found the "perfect" rug, but it was too small. :( I searched and searched and could not find a larger, similar one (hand knotted). I did however find another very nice, larger rug and purchased it last week. The same day I purchased it a designer here on Houzz found one almost like my first love and she now is Fed Ex'ing the sample to me!! (how cool is that!)

• Kris Ritter
    7 years ago

To me the key is that the legs and body of chair do not match. Somehow that needs to be resolved.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree!

• User
    7 years ago
    If you are willing to work with a designer, you can find cabinets like the EA one through the trade, probably for the same price but much better quality. RH quality is so poor for the amount they charge! I don't know how they get away with it. Check out Bernhardt furnishings. My friend just got a console table in a slate finish with stainless accents and it is gorgeous! Many finish options and styles to choose. EA is highly overpriced IMHO. In many cases paying full retail for mass produced pieces is more costly than custom. A good designer can find you the right piece through her many sources at her cost.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Susan, I agree with you 100% in regards to restoration hardware. I actually am in the car, returning home from their store! Some of there furniture is so unfinished, I think my husband could make!

very familiar with Bernhardt, Lorts, Theodore Alexandra, and other quality furniture manufactures. I usually travel and order my furniture in NC and Lexington, KY... but didn't this time. Ethan Allen is a bit over priced, but it is nice you only drive 20 minutes to a gallery. My excuse is.. I'm tired! I've been a bit overwhelmed selling, building and moving. I like the idea of a designer, they give me food for thought.... But in the end, I go with things I like. I must be doing something right since the last two houses I sold, I sold as furnished because the buyers loved everything.
  • suezbell
    7 years ago

Since you "hate" them, see if you can return or exchange them, even if you need to pay a restock fee. Next time, sit in the chairs before you buy, even if you must travel to another town to do so.

If you cannot return them, consider painting the exposed wood parts of the chairs a pale to medium gray.

• Marco
    7 years ago

It looks like it is coming together nicely. Look into dark accent pieces to help bring it together still more. I like opaque lamp shades (though rather difficult to find), because they do not emit a bare-lightbulb-glare that can make everything look harsh at night. Good luck with it, and I hope you end up with a room you are head-over-heels in love with.

• User
    7 years ago
    Love Lorts too. I have many of their pieces :)
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sandy, my last house had a beautiful Lorts Table and chairs... Now that's quality! Since I have been visiting MANY furniture stores, I have to say - most of they are carrying imported junk. I purchased my bedroom, chests, and TV console from Ethan Allen, and it's decent quality. Obviously, not the same as some of the really high end stuff, but not bad either!

• Olga Kramar
    7 years ago
    The chairs are beautiful, and look terrific in your space, but if the legs are finished differently than the arms, that's a defect and I would certainly get them replaced.
  • tedbixby
    7 years ago

Tinker- just wondering if you have an "up-date" on your room and the chair situation.

• pcg19
    7 years ago

I love the chairs! I think the bar stools are a bit light

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Old post....Haven't heard from homeowner since August 2016...would love an update.

• judrand05
    5 years ago

It doesn't matter how many of us like the way the dark wood looks. You don't and that's all that matters. I suggest taking the chairs to a local furniture refurbisher and having them paint the wood the color you want (be sure you provide a sample). Yes, it's more money spent on what must have been expensive chairs if they're from Ethan Allen, but if you don't fork it over now, you will continue to feel regret every time you see them. Or at least, just ignore them and not enjoy them and that's not necessary. Do it now and like ripping off a band-aid, it will only hurt for a minute but turn a disappointment into something you love.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Update, please. What did you do.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I ended up loving them!!!
  • Tems
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Would love some Images of the room now that you love your chairs:)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.