jscott001

Maison de Maitre what colour shutters?

jscott001
7 years ago
Hi everyone
I'm having great difficulty deciding on a colour to paint my shutters in mmy house in France. The window surrounds are a bluey grey stone. I've tried Farrow and Ball Mizzle but it doesn't really work with the grey stone. Do I paint them white? I would like a sophisticated look which would enhance the house and give it some presence..at the moment I feel it's a bit drab. Thank you.

Comments (26)

• Sophie Windatt
    7 years ago

I
    think you would give yourself more options by painting the stones white but
    the grey is very smart so if you want to keep it I would perhaps choose a bright shade of blue to add a bit of interest and contrast against the walls. I'm thinking of a blue like this:

Monroe · More Info

If you do decide to paint the stones
    white you can then choose any colour you like for the shutters so it opens up a lot of options. My initial instinct is to pick a warm, sunshine yellow. It’ll be cheerful and welcoming even in the dreariest weather. Perhaps something a bit deeper than this shade:

Allamanda Cottage · More Info

• jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No there are no colour requirements in the village....any particular brand of paint...do you think this blue will suit this type of house?
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh dear I meant to say I was thinking of painting the shutters white not the stone..sorry!!
  • Sophie Windatt
    7 years ago

Oops, my mistake! I think white shutters would give a crisper contrast against the stones than the cream shade but I agree with Mazur Creative Studio that blue would look lovely. The pervenche blue that they've suggested is gorgeous.

As for paint brands, Farrow and Ball Exterior Eggshell paints will be great quality and well suited to this project. Their selection of blues isn't huge but worth checking out. And if you go for white, they've got several shades available.

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    Interesting- before I read everyone else's comment I was going to say blue.
    How about a blue/black?
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm popping back to the UK so I'll have a look at paint companies...I have farrow and ball's colour chart here but nothing stands out...
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    We used Farrow and Ball Parma Grey and also a French equivalent on the shutters of our house in the Gers. Look great and pretty similar to most of the local blues. Or use a slightly darker woad blue, pastel, as produced in Lectoure.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wouldn't Parma grey be too dark..
  • boundsgreener
    7 years ago
    I think Parma Grey or a blue grey are great recommendations. I don't know where your beautiful house is, but in so much of France you need a paint that can withstand the temperature extremes. Our house is in the South West (so think anything from -15 to +45 degrees) and we invested in Zolpan. Painting shutters is not something you want to have to do every few years - after 8 years ours are still looking fresh with not a chip or peel in sight.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes we are also in the south west...the only thing I'm worried about with using blue is that the house is quite formal looking rather than a traditional cottage and I didn't know whether the blues would look a bit too informal.
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    Here's the Parma Grey, the real Farrow and Ball on the tower, painted about seven years ago and the equivalent the decorators used on the barn conversion next door a couple of years ago. Look slightly different but that's the photos and the light, they are actually identical. No problems with the heat and cold - only trouble we get is woodpeckers attacking the shutters from time to time.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Brilliant looks beautiful except my frontage is very grey looking compared to your more biscuit colour ..at the moment I have tried light blue, Mizzle and skylight by F&B as these are the only samples I have out here...I am back in the UK next week so will purchase Parma Grey . Thank you again..
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hi, The blue will not show dust and muck as quickly as white.. But will still reflect light.

It's a great colour for connecting with nature and the sky so would get my vote.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you ...again my only worry is that it might look a bit twee on such a formal looking house ..
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    The only way to get around that is to stick with something similar to now or a lighter shade of grey. Something that works with but not the same, as the frames.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    A few options
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Blues.
  • Lil Evans
    7 years ago
    Hi , my brother in Italy has a very similar looking house & he has painted his duck egg blue (farrow & Ball) they look stunning.
  • Lil Evans
    7 years ago
    This is the colour (sorry I haven't got a better photo )
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow some super photos...I notice all the blue shutters are teamed with a biscuit/sand colour rendering..il try pavilion grey as I have a sample and see what it looks like..thank you again to everyone...
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    You have some lovely decorative features and I think highlighting these and tidying up the damaged areas of render would make a huge difference. Blue shutters will look beautiful, I also like a grey/green.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Super thank you any particular colour and brand so I can buy samples whilst in the UK...
  • Sophie Windatt
    7 years ago

If you're nervous about doing it (and justifiably so; that's a lot of work!) try editing the colours of your original image in Photoshop. You'll at least get a better idea of the end result, even if it won't be a perfect match. Hopefully that will alleviate some of your concerns before you pick up a paintbrush!

• Victoria
    7 years ago
    Little Greene:
    Salix
    French Grey
    Drizzle
    Tivoli

A few different options. Paint is extortionate in France, isn't it?!
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Absolutely that's why when I make a trip to the UK I make sure I've decided what colours I'm going to use and purchase there. Unfortunately I'm dithering on the colour of the shutters as my driveway at the moment has awful grey gravel which I will change to a creamy colour so it makes the front of the house look quite drab.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.