averagedecorator

Will an Ikea kitchen reduce home value?

averagedecorator
7 years ago

My house was gutted and renovated 3 years ago, and we decided to put in Ikea cabinets in the kitchen due to cost. Will that reduce the resale value? Should I upgrade to custom cabinets? I'm in a very hot Toronto market where most listings are going over asking with multiple offers, so I am trying to get top $ for my home. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Let's Remodel
    7 years ago

I would take a look at the stock cabinet options from Schrock. You won't have to pay for custom work and the quality will be much higher than what you would be getting from Ikea.

averagedecorator thanked Let's Remodel
  • libradesigneye
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would not change it because I cannot see you getting your money back, which is the point of your home sale. Ikea has some very classic kitchen profiles and 90% of people don't know the difference except that they are clean and new. You have already provided what most people are looking for .. clean and new. Changing them for custom cabinets will cost you a great deal more than just cabinets and then you will delay your sale by six months.

Trying to get top $ for your home is a combination of :

Location, Layout, Bath and Kitchen amenities, then . . taste and cohesive choices with the gut renovation. Whatever those are will determine what you can get. If you want to post photos, we might make specific suggestions for inexpensive things to get it ready for sale, but you already have one important thing . . .many motivated buyers. A hot market can cool suddenly ..

averagedecorator thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    7 years ago

Can you attach a photo? I don't think you need to but lets take a look. What are your countertops and flooring?

averagedecorator thanked Kelli Kaufer Designs
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm just north of Toronto. Ikea cabinets will not lose you value on your home. Get a good realtor who will tell you what you need to do for top dollar. I know of a high end wood flooring company that says they've seen so many people putting in Ikea cabinets in expensive condos downtown.

averagedecorator thanked User
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You'll already get top dollar, as mentioned. You wouldn't even have to put in thw kitchen, lol!

I was sceptical of IKEA cabs before installing them, now wouldn't hesitate to buy a home because the kitchen is IKEA.

averagedecorator thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    If they are well installed they will be fine, if they were sloppily installed they will detract. In a hot market it may not matter either way.
    averagedecorator thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • averagedecorator
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh phew the comments are very heartening! The pic is attached anyway
  • User
    7 years ago

You'll be fine. I've seen a lot worse here sell for over asking

averagedecorator thanked User
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Lovely.
    averagedecorator thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    7 years ago
    Your kitchen looks beautiful. Do not waste your money just because of "ikea" name. Leave it and sell!
    averagedecorator thanked Lisa Ephrat
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

You'll find that many of the Pros have IKEA cabinets in their homes. Frankly, I never heard of a buyer asking the brand of the cabinets when viewing a home.

averagedecorator thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    7 years ago

Add some under cabinet lighting and call it good.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

This Ikea

kitchen is in a home that sold in Calgary in a slow market in 12 hrs

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Looks HIGH END! Leave it alone, list your home and move to a hot tropical paradise with your "winnings". I wouldn't change a thing!

• PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    7 years ago

I think your kitchen looks nice.

Ikea does have that stigma, but with their kitchens it's totally unfounded - the cabinets are the same as any other place (except maybe some very high-end place that makes solid wood cabinets with dovetail joinery) and all the hardware is Blum which is awesome.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

I'm an 'open house' junkie. I've never seen a kitchen is such good condition in any open house I've been to in this town. Beautiful. Don't lose another minute worrying.

• PRO
    Modern Kitchen Pros
    7 years ago

Not at all... IKEA's cabinets ARE NOT BRANDED ANYWHERE, which means your prospective buyers will NEVER know that the cabinets are from IKEA... And please keep in mind, that the drawers, drawer glides and hinges all all made by BLUM, not IKEA... And BLUM is top of the line hardware... This is why high end cabinet companies like Bulthaup use them...

• mramsey
    7 years ago

It looks great. The 1st thing most people do after finding their "perfect" house is to change it, let the new owners put their own stamp on the house if they so choose.

• PRO
    Kinswater Construction Inc.
    7 years ago

A number of years ago Ikea switched to Blum hardware (used by custom shops). This was a game changer. We have customized Ikea kitchens and installed them in some of our projects. You have nothing to be concerned about.

• Laura
    7 years ago

That is a lovely kitchen and even knowing it is Ikea, I think you should leave it.

• Carla
    5 years ago

I know you've probably already sold your house... i'm just adding this for anyone who currently has the same question. Ikea kitchens are awesome. The cabinetry and hardware have a 25 YR WARRANTY. I installed mine 6 years ago, also a gut renovation. It is clean, beautiful, drawers and doors functioning perfectly. Comes with Blum hardware, top of the line. Mid-century/craftsman look. SS appliances. I got asking price within 2 weeks of listing my home.

• Carla
    5 years ago

Here is a picture from my house listing so you can see what a real IKEA kitchen looks like.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.