raquel_petersen

log cabin renovation questions!

I have seen so many talented folks answer others questions and so here I go!

I want a rustic but MODERN feel to this 1959 original log cabin. We are in the process of purchasing and decisions are starting to loom. Here are my thoughts.

1. Replace flooring with light, weathered oak, large planks.

2. Modify kitchen in taking out protruding L shaped counter, add a nice hood vent, a little more counter space between fridge and range, remove shutter blinds. Replace countertops with concrete countertops.

3. Paint interior walls a dark gray with milk paint, so that grain still shows.

4. Furnish with modern style, West Elm ish, lots of rugs.

What do ya'll think? I'm getting pushback from my husband, who declares painting tongue and groove is a sin. I want a cozy, modern feel. Am I crazy to want to paint the walls? Dark? There are a few photos that I've really responded to and they are all darker in feel and tone. I do not want to whitewash everything.

But then again, I'm doubting myself. Ideas are so appreciated.

Comments (12)

• janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    Are you sure it is a log cabin, and not a cabin with log siding? Because I would expect the inside facing structural walls to be log, not t&g.

I would remove the t&g and sheetrock and paint off white. I would replace the cabinet doors with plain maple shaker doors w/o knots and paint all the cabs off-white.

Then I would install pine floors, in keeping with the trim and ceiling. Then I would replace all the light fixtures with black "iron" light fixtures. Door hardware too.
    The Savvy Lockbox Interiors thanked janedoe2012
  • Nancy Walton
    7 years ago

I would not put wood floors in this house. You should actually be looking to minimize all the wood. I agree with janedoe to paint off white, but you don't have to go through the trouble of tearing out the T&G. I have seen it painted and it provides a wonderful texture while updating the space. The only thing you will want to make sure you use something like Kilz or Zinzer primer so any knots wouldn't show through. I would just replace the doors of the cabinet and reface the frames to what ever wood you would want. Don't paint the walls charcoal gray! it will look very cave-like, and it already looks like it might be dark, what with the overhang of the porch and the dark stones on the fireplace.

Better yet, if your husband and you can't agree on what to do with this house maybe you should keep looking at more houses?

The Savvy Lockbox Interiors thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    The Savvy Lockbox Interiors
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions! I think we will wait on the paint and see how replacing the flooring and modifying the kitchen helps with all the brown. :) We are going with a light vinyl plank for the floors, so I'm really hoping that breaks it up a bit. Also going more modern with the furnishings. It really is in the PERFECT location, so we are moving forward on it. :)

• billjanmt
    7 years ago

Please post a picture of your floor when completed.

• PRO
    Traditional Log Homes Ltd
    7 years ago

Doesn't feel or look like a log cabin to me more like a boy scout cabin. The ceiling seems too low and way, way too much wood. You could spend upwards of 50,000 in that one room alone. A lot to consider before purchasing.

• Victor
    7 years ago

Raquel, check out my ideabooks. I have a 1950 chestnut log cabin and had to do a ton of inside work (everything was 1980's). Just awful. You can strike a happy balance and I will be happy to answer any questions. :)

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Victor, love the log cabin, WOW! This house has a lot of knotty pine. I think I would paint the kitchen cabinets, get better lighting in the place and then live with it for a while.
  • Victor
    7 years ago

Do a natural ledgerstone along the outside facing areas of the base cabinets. It will break things up. I did that as well with mine.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    You can also stain the pine paneling. Here are some kitchen photos.
  • PRO
    Simonson Design Studios
    7 years ago

It's beautiful!!! I have a 200 year old log cabin that has the horse hair insulation. go to Simonsondesignstudios.com and we can draw in 3D so you can see how it will look before you do anything! with logs its tricky and it will eliminate mistakes that may or may not be able to be corrected

• northface99
    7 years ago

This cabin doesn't look very very old, so IMO the you could do whatever you like w/the walls. I wouldn't favor dark grey. I like all the wood - with cool furniture & rugs, it could look modern. Agree the rug needs to go.

Agree w/your kitchen ideas. Would put in slate or soapstone counters to get the black feel. That with very modern furniture would let you see how it feels before painting the walls/ceiling. Or you could just paint the ceiling & see how that feels.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.