mitchell_parker

Design Debate: Painting wood ceilings white — For or Against?

Mitchell Parker
7 years ago

Design Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace? · More Info

Some designers argue that if an original architect meant for a wood ceiling to be unpainted, so should it remain forever. Others say it's perfectly fine to update with the modern era and add a little paint. How do you feel?

Don't forget to read our debate conversation on this topic, too!

Comments (38)

• tooky58
    7 years ago

Depending on the look you're after. If I came upon a home with that feature that was in really good condition I doubt that I'd paint it. I'd paint the room in a way that would bring attention to that feature.

• Rodney Thornton
    7 years ago

I don't think I could bring myself to paint any wood that isn't a plywood. Wood has too much character and beauty to cover. (this may be the woodworker in me coming out though)

• PRO
    Ken Wilson Realty
    7 years ago

we painted our wood ceiling with a 50/50 mix of white paint and paint thinner so it came out like a white wash. It looks terrific and still shows the wood grain. A happy medium for us.

• Naomi Williams
    7 years ago

I don't live in a true Eichler home, but an Eichleresque home built in 1958. When we first walked in the door four years ago while house-hunting, I'm sure my eyeballs literally bugged out when I saw the gorgeous wood ceiling in the living room, which is still one of my favorite features about our home. I am so, so happy that nobody painted it. Previous tenants did, however, paint the wood ceiling white in the bedrooms. It's OK, but I really would have preferred it unpainted. I think this would make a great test for owners: Paint a bedroom first and see what you think.

• User
    7 years ago

Please give us an alternative to yes or no. It depends on the circumstance.

• Ginny Falk
    7 years ago
    I like both depending on the light & design for the room.
  • PRO
    tasnem
    7 years ago
    yes with because it depends on the way i want the space to represent
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

I agree with Tribble--it depends on the wood. For a ceiling with antique oak, reclaimed elm or chestnut, mahogany or cherry wood, I'd leave the wood as is. Generic builder-grade wood probably would look better painted.

• sabechamp
    7 years ago

Our home has solid wood planked ceilings and walls on the upper floor, under the eaves and in the loft area. From the main floor looking up I am greeted with a warm glow of unpainted wood. Upstairs this is more cocoon like due to the pitched ceiling meeting the shorter walls. However we are out in the countryside, surrounded by a forest of trees in every direction. This is our "Cabin in the woods" and we live it that way by choice. It is not devoid of color, character or personality. Large windows let in lots of daylight and views of the trees. Dimmable lighting sets a comfortable mood and also provides workable lighting as needed. Colorful furniture and rugs balance and enrich the wood. This is not a log home with soaring roof lines, but a modest dwelling that speaks the language of comfort. Natural solid wood is the foundation of that comfort in this setting.

• Gail Dunfield
    7 years ago
    We are in the process of building a cottage/home at the lake. Our vaulted ceiling (12') in living area has wide pine planks. We want a 'airy'light feel as well as some warmth. We are having the ceiling painted in a white wash. We will achieve warmth with the furniture/colours.
  • PRO
    Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
    7 years ago

It depends on the total overall look that one is going for. Either one will work. Wood is much more expensive than drywall to purchase and install if new so I would tend not to paint over good wood paneling but again it depends on the final look you want to achieve.

• willozwisp
    7 years ago

Update with the modern era and add paint? I guess I take issue with the premise, that paining a ceiling is adding a modern touch. I am sure, that like fashion and design, we are just reinventing what has always been, under the guise of "modern". As if modern is progressive in a linear fashion. "The union of wood and paint is as old as the human desire to protect an object, or simply to decorate a surface." (Bruce Hoadley). For example, look at the importance of wooden ceiling panels in Italy, 15th century on. Or painted wood floors in Colonial America.

Cover the patina and the visual characteristics of wood? Texture. Reflection. Lightness and darkness. The entire play of light is shifted. Does change the psychology and mood. Like stone versus brick. Paint the wood ceiling on a porch? Be my guest. Would advise caution when one masks and changes the nature and character of a natural material that was chosen for it's hardness, softness, color, grain, width, length or easy of workability with oils or varnishes etc..

• Erica L
    7 years ago
    I'm a Deck House owner. Every single inch of ceiling in my house is unpainted wood, even the two car oversized garage. In my opinion if you don't like a natural wood ceiling, don't get the house. Painting it destroys the aesthetic which, obviously, isn't appreciated if you are inclined to do so.
  • dbasiliere
    7 years ago

It depends.... I have two sections and one sunporch with wood ceilings I will not paint right now. I have a remodeled bathroom and will install wood plank ceiling and paint it the wall color which is a very soft light green.

• reinhartstudio
    7 years ago

It depends on what you do with the rest of room to keep it clean.

• julrussell
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We chose to stain our ceiling to offset the white walls and cabinets! We love it!

• Armand Estrada
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It depends on the style, but I lean to wood. Our house had vertical grain Douglas Fir ceilings and beams. We sandblasted off the paint. The ceilings looked some awesome, we left the wood raw. We sold that house in one day for 25% over the asking price 3 years ago. Those ceilings had a lot to do with it.

• PRO
    LK Design
    7 years ago

While I am for painting, I can see why some prefer to see the natural grains of the wood. So in that case, to lighten the space I wood suggest using a light stain. This keeps the integrity of the natural wood they like. All in keeping everyone happy!

• User
    7 years ago

Typical Libra, I'm actually for both! A low ceiling--especially a wooden one--feels crushing, makes me want to stoop. Whereas a lofty ceiling--12' or more--looks fabulous in wood. Who doesn't see the natural beauty of wood and love its symbolic use as shelter! That said, if it looms darkly overhead, either bleach it or paint it, and stand tall!

• Joan Gand
    7 years ago

Natural wood adds so much character and warmth to a house. If its too dark, you can always put on a very light white stain - thinned out (used to be called tonetic), to lighten it but keep the warmth. We have that in our house in it has looked fantastic for the 30 years we've lived here, with no maintenance. Do it right once, then you don't have to touch it for years. With paint...you always have to keep painting.

• aremstad
    7 years ago
    Philosophically I'm against painting...but this project turned out so nice, and the brightness is key
  • misselthwaite
    7 years ago

I wouldn't paint it... but to say you can't is ridiculous. Nothing to do with being modern, it's just that if it's your house and you want to paint it, go ahead. Then we can give advice to the next owners crying about how someone painted over all that beautiful wood! ;-)

• tgarnaoui
    7 years ago
    The use of color alone depends a great deal on the location and climate of where a person/family lives. I've lived in both cool and warm climates, and it's no surprise to me that the Vancouver designer leans towards keeping the warm natural color of the wood, while the Bay Area designers opts for painting the wood white. We all want comfort and color in our homes which complements the expression of feeling at ease. What looks and feels right in the north feels "off" in the south, and vice versa. So this is my round about way of saying "it depends" when it comes to painting wood white.
  • wandat
    7 years ago

We are right in the middle of painting our knotty pine "yellowy" ceiling white. This is a home in the mountains that doesn't get enough light for us. While it is shockingly different than what we had for 20 years I think we are going to love the brightness and new look.

• Ali T
    7 years ago

I'm in the home stretch of purchasing a sweet 1977 saltbox style wood cabin with soaring tongue in groove cedar ceilings and reclaimed wood walls. The interior space is all about sanctuary from the brick and cedar entry to the sleeping loft accessed by open wood stairs over the galley kitchen. I am so grateful the prior owners never touched the natural wood ceilings! One of the first things I plan to do is to sand the reclaimed wood walls in the main living area that have been previously "washed" with diluted blue paint. Once I see how far my orbital sander takes me, I may consider a white "tonetic" wash for the walls to brighten the space. Wish me luck!

• PRO
    Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
    7 years ago

Not every wood ceiling is a thing of beauty. In the 20's and 30's before sheetrock (gyp board) came into existence, wood planks were used as lathe in walls to receive plaster. During that period, since plywood was not in general use for flooring, those same rough planks were also used as decking material. In some old houses you can see right through to the floor above, and I see no reason to keep the "natural wood look" at all - unless you are a purist.

• sharon_weiss92
    7 years ago

There are a number of factors to consider if/when painting a wood ceiling: height, materials, wall color, style achieved. A wash may be fine for a lighter feel; however, a rustic log cabin should maintain the style intended in my opinion. An open or enclosed porch may be a good practice spot to try. Ultimately, the choice belongs to the homeowner unless you have purchased an historic dwelling - then all bets are off.

• margery_griffith
    7 years ago
    Depends on the specific house/architect. I normally feel like ducking when there is a dark wood ceiling above me! Cozy can be achieved by other means. I hesitate to paint wood but will do so if it needs it.
  • Lizzy L.
    7 years ago

Totally depends on the wood, and the room/house.

• sherrykyle
    7 years ago

I would never paint beautiful wood that added warmth and character, but if the wood doesn't add to the beauty of the space, I would have it painted white like I did in my beach home.

• christianedevilliers
    7 years ago

Definitely a good look for a beach cottage. I have a "rondavel" with peaked wood ceiling & mezzanine, wood ceiling in bedroom, and just requested a quote to whitewash at least the bedroom ceiling.

I also live in a Victorian cottage in town which has wooden floors, windows, doors, ceilings, bookcases - you name it - there IS such a thing as too much wood....

• Molly Matthews
    7 years ago

I see no right or wrong answer to this question, despite the plethora of responses to the contrary. It's your house; if you want to paint, go for it! Who cares if its wood (or brick...)? Do what you like in YOUR home. The builder/designer/former residents/whomever don't live there now. I wouldn't look at a ceiling and think, "I better not paint it"...for re-sale or whatever reason...and then force myself to live with something I don't like. Nor would I paint ceilings white. We recently repainted the interior of our house in Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter...walls and ceilings. We think it's stunning, clean and cohesive. White ceilings would have lessened the "pop" we get on the crown molding. Everyone who sees it oohs and aahs...which is fine, but we did it for ourselves. If painting your wood ceiling green and orange stripes makes you happy, go for It! You shouldn't need anyone else's approval in your home.

• margery_griffith
    7 years ago
    What was I thinking? in my earlier post I completely forgot that about 40 years ago we built a contemporary house overlooking the Ohio River. We HAD a vaulted wood ceiling in the great room which had windows on 3 sides! we had the ceiling stained with the greyish stain that was on the cedar exterior. The ceiling was 2 stories tall, the stain was light so it was not heavy looking. there was SO MUCH light coming in it was perfect! it all depends!
  • PRO
    Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
    7 years ago

It is so dependent on the "Story" you are telling - isn't it?

• Kathy
    7 years ago

If it is old and ugly, paint it. It's your house, enjoy it.

• LINDSEY MARRERO
    6 years ago
    We
  • ckwholmes
    10 months ago

We are adding a sunroom and covered deck, employing the best of both worlds: white-painted coffers and maple-stained bead board. We are not in the “all white” camp for decorating. We chose the stained bead board to invite the outside in, which seems appropriate for our space.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.