hzdeleted_33636836

Laminate or bamboo?

User
7 years ago

Have tile in familyroom, entry and kitchen. Need to remove carpet in 2 bedrooms, hall and livingroom. What's your preference?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Tyles by The Nic Studio
    7 years ago

Is hardwood not an option?

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Laminate can be low-end or high-end. Even at the high end, you will top out at $4/sf (very rare to find laminate this expensive...but it's out there).

Bamboo on the other hand ranks as "garbage" right up to "luxury". The price range for garbage (the stuff Lumber Liquidators is being sued for) is $3.99/sf. The LUXURY level tops out at $15/sf. The stuff I would "trust" (and even then it would be a stretch) is $8/sf. Anything below $8/sf is going to be the best of the worst. As you reach into the upper range, you get into the clean and healthy version of bamboo.

By the time you look at $15/sf bamboo, you are into some very nice solid hardwood flooring options.

If you are comparing laminate to bamboo, it tells me you are are looking at the $3 -$4/sf products. In my opinion, a high-end laminate with healthy adhesives and European grade Fibre board is "healthier" than a "garbage" level bamboo with high levels of formaldehyde that will give you migraines and nose bleeds.

If you have a budget that is ready for $10 - $15/sf bamboo, then hardwood is DEFINITELY in the running.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.