layla_shkoukani

Mixing metals!

Layla Shkoukani
7 years ago
Hi, we are currently revamping our kitchen while extending but keeping cream (panelled) kitchen cupboards and solid oak worktop. Originally we had oak knobs on all doors. We will now have a large chrome American fridge/freezer and our tap is brushed chrome but I really would love brushed brass handles for my cupboards (we have brushed brass sockets and door handles). Will this look odd against the fridge and tap? Would brass look a little lost against a cream kitchen? I thought we could perhaps tie them in with brass lighting over breakfast bar! Any thoughts would be great! Thanks.

Comments (10)

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    To me it's a bit like asking if you should have one colour door handle on one interior door and a different one entering another room. My answer is no.

I don't like to see two different metal colour. They should match.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    I disagree with Daisy England and think you can mix metals
    The Barnsbury Islington Kitchen by deVOL · More Info
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    7 years ago

I would tend to agree with carolins and do think you can mix metals. That said, I'm not such a fan of brass and stainless being mixed. Copper and steel mixed though? Now that's a combination a really love...

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I think the brass is already well established and will look fine in the cabinets.
    In my opinion the fridge is likely to jar- do you already have it? You could likely change the tap to brass quite inexpensively
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for all your thoughts. I'm wondering would a lack fridge be a better option? These are another handle I quite like as an alternative to above and a better picture of the kitchen I will be re-using.
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    *black fridge
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Layla. I think I'd prefer a chrome American FF to black given its size. Have you also considered a cream one? I think it's fine to mix some metals, the pic Carolina posted by DeVol looks great. What finish is your oven? I also like Jonathan's idea of changing the tap as I think brass taps can look stunning :) The pics of your cabinets look very different in the light though. I think brass would look nice against last pic but may be a little lost against the first pic. Bronze or pewter could be another option. Why not just order one brass one to see what you think? Perhaps a cheap eBay/amazon one though rather than armac Martin!

• kevnick80
    7 years ago
    I agree about mixing metals. It's an old fashioned thing to think you can't. And I second the copper and steel look...that's what I am going to go for in my kitchen when it is remodelled.
  • PRO
    Metal Monkey Designs
    7 years ago

Why not have some of your wooden doors sprayed in a Chrome finish to add to the mix and match, then add Chrome handles instead of Brass

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.