andrew_debbie

Pressed Tin Splashback- paint or powder coat?

Deb Han
7 years ago

We are recreating the back part of our federation home and this includes a new kitchen. I would like a pressed tin Splashback behind our stove (upright stand alone gas/ electric). The manufacturer suggests powder coating for a Splashback. The sales person at our supplier explained that the material would need to be cut to size, sent away for coating and that it can chip at the edges. He recommended painting and said it allowed us the option to change colours in the future. I was concerned about paint and heat in the kitchen. Anyone know how to resolve the conflicting advice?

Comments (20)

• scottevie
    7 years ago

I can't really offer a specific answer as I found the same confusing advice when I looked into pressed tin for splashback. We ended up opting for tiles. Had the southern cross infinity tile range been available then I would have opted for these to give the look of pressed tin with a tile (we are putting them in as a feature wall in bathroom instead)

• pineapple80
    7 years ago

paint will not manage the heat well. I hadn't heard of powder coating when we were looking at using pressed tin for the splash back. We went with tiles and put pressed tin on the back of the island bench.

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    My father is a car tinkerer. He just has some wheel spokes powder coated. I was impressed at the ease, finish and cost. I don't think it would chip over time as a splashback. I'd get it cut to size then powder coated.

I love the look of pressed tin as a splashback. And it means no grout. It is one of my life aims to have a house without grout.
    Deb Han thanked bigreader
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

Think carefully about how practical it would be to clean - a complex pattern can become grease trap so if you go with the pressed tin keep the design simple. There are quite few kitchens going for the distressed look in pressed tin so chipping wouldn't be an issue but cleanliness might be.

• Jo M
    7 years ago

I am going to use pressed tin in our kitchen reno. Some suppliers sell the sheets already powder coated in a limited colour range, eg Schots in Melbourne. I looked into painting the tin to get the desired colour, but was advised it will not stand up to the heat. I have heard they are very easy to clean too.

Deb Han thanked Jo M
  • Deb Han
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm not that worried about cleaning, it is grout or patterns, either one needs cleaning, but bigreader is right, grout is a pain and can stain. My concern over the chipping was in the period between coating and installing, not so much afterwards. Once on the wall it's pretty safe but the edges can be a problem I was told. I'm aiming for a period kitchen to last, not a fashion statement, so "distressed" is not my main aim. Thanks for the details though!

• melda15
    7 years ago

We had our pressed tin installed and then we had it spray painted in situ with the type of paint used for car spray painting. It meant a lot of covering up the rest of the room, but the finish has been amazing! No chipping, so easy to clean & doesn't show any marks! I would recommend. We also used it as a feature in our bathroom.

• scail83
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We cut ours to size and then had powder coated. No chipping before installing. Has been the easiest splashback to clean and looks great. We used a charcoal colour, it came out darker than expected from looking at samples in brochures. And was cheap to do. I have heard of someone melting car spray paint on a splashback with fly spray!

Deb Han thanked scail83
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

The pressed metal I've seen are aluminium which is quite soft. Its also thin which doesn't help.... I would use tiles instead but use the pressed metal where it won't need wiping as often hence less chance of it being damaged. Each side of splash back perhaps?

Powder coating gives a good finish and easy to clean. It would be pre coated so the installer would need to be careful as it can't be easily touched up. It would need to be handled carefully during transport too.... Car Paint would also work but I would avoid having anything painted outside of a spray booth due to the chemicals in the paint! They do paint bathrooms and industrial paint two pack outdoors but I'm still surprised they can get away with it due to the environmental effects.....

Deb Han thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    What about painted tin with a gass splashback over.
  • dahmen
    7 years ago

I know you can get touch up powder coating spray cans i think at bunnings but if you have a specific colour at company called CR LAURENCE NORTH ARE A SUPPLIER of the cans... Not sure if they sell to public though. I used to send aluminium for powder coating and it does scratch off so you would not be able to scrub with abrasive pads.

• PRO
    Ceramo Tiles
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Deb,

You could go a large format ceramic which looks like pressed tin, tiles are completely heat resistant and won't discolour over time.

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Deb Han thanked Ceramo Tiles
  • PRO
    Creative Style Interior Design
    7 years ago

If it's pressed metal behind a cook top, definitely powder coat. I would also mention to the powdercoater that it's going behind a cook top as it needs to be heat resistant.

Deb Han thanked Creative Style Interior Design
  • badlesmere
    6 years ago

We did it on our kitchen glues to cement sheeting. I painted it a Gloss White....if i had my time again I would go for powder coating. Painting looked fine, but to get someone to powder coat it.

We had a gas cook top and it never affected the paint.

Deb Han thanked badlesmere
  • Elle Chidiac
    6 years ago

Can anyone kindly recommend a company in Sydney that can powder coat, pressed tin Metal? What is a reasonable price to pay? Thanks in advance, Eleanor

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

I had some car exhaust parts powder coated in a high temp powder coat. They were up the central coast but the owner said there are a couple around Sydney that do it. Google ProCoat at Wyong.

• PRO
    Heritage Ceilings
    6 years ago

I'm amazed how some people proffer information when they have no knowledge on the subject, i.e. "The pressed metal I've seen are aluminium which is quite soft. Its also thin which doesn't help." I've been selling them for nearly 20 years and I can tell you the panels are surprisingly strong - I can stand on them and not damage them. I've even taken to them with a small hammer and not dented them. Also comments like "a complex pattern can become grease trap" are simply not true. Use a tough paint and you simply wipe over them as you would tiles. Some folk here are recommending buying powder coated panels. I never recommend powder coating because there are so many side issues with it. For what it is worth these are the fitting instructions every one of my clients receive when they purchase panels from me: https://www.heritageceilings.com.au/installation-instructions-splashbacks.php

Deb Han thanked Heritage Ceilings
  • Deb Han
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And sometimes advice comes too late! We actually went for tiles - the Zoe Blanco- large format 33x100cm! And the tiler made The joins seemless.

• Jo M
    6 years ago

Lovely tile choice, well done. We finally got our pressed tin up a couple of months ago. It was powdered coat; as recommended by the manufacturer; and is super easy to clean and hard wearing. But your tiles look really nice, are they 'infinity'? Such a similar look to the tin anyway. Love your smeg cooker too btw

Deb Han thanked Jo M
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.