lpjohnso

Destroy cabinets and install open shelving?

The Vintage Bean
7 years ago

Please encourage or prevent me from tearing apart my kitchen. I'm thinking about removing the 2 left sided upper cabinets (including the upper moulding part) and install open shelving in their place. In doing so, I would switch the 3rd cabinet to the left to open the other way, if that makes sense.

Also would like advice on a new color scheme for cabinets and walls.

Thank you!

Comments (26)

• The Vintage Bean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Something like these, but the shelves would reach up higher:

• The Vintage Bean
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ha! Really great comment. :) Thankfully, I'm not too obsessive. I can't be: I don't have cats, but I have 3 little boys and 3 dogs. I've had to let go of a spick and span home because it's a loosing battle!

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

what will you put on the ends of the cabinets and moulding you remove? I love the open shelf look, but I feel like it will look like an after thought on this kitchen, not part of the original deisgn, kwim? Do the cabinets need painting or you are tired of the white? Edgecomb gray could be pretty, and paint your island a color

Radiant Home in Oakville (1443) · More Info

The Vintage Bean thanked Jennifer Havin
  • apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

This kitchen is already perfect and spotless. Dog hair is swished up by air currents. Leave the cabinets closed to keep the dog hair off the glasses and out of the mugs. Try leaving some white dishes and a couple empty glasses on the counter for a week and see how they look.

The Vintage Bean thanked apple_pie_order
  • chiflipper
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen as is.

The Vintage Bean thanked chiflipper
  • User
    7 years ago

I like your kitchen as is. Why do you want open shelving?

The Vintage Bean thanked User
  • lhutch13
    7 years ago
    No to shelving.
    The Vintage Bean thanked lhutch13
  • vandorf
    7 years ago
    How about replacing some of the solid doors with glass? Will make it feel lighter without extra work of keeping shelves clean and way easier to do.
    The Vintage Bean thanked vandorf
  • Paddy
    7 years ago

Kitchen looks great as is. Why on earth would you want open shelving? Have you checked those things you've got stored on the top of your cabinets? I bet you anything they're dusty and grimy as only things stored where cooking takes place can get. If you want to change the look a bit/display things, go with glass fronts on a few cabinets. You can add lighting inside the cabinet too, if you wish. Much, much more practical and won't be anywhere near as expensive as replacing the cabinets (with all the associated repairs) with shelving. I've never understood why anyone wants open shelving in a home kitchen (a commercial kitchen in a restaurant is another kettle of fish) - it's just a dirt/dust magnet and anything you have stored there needs to be washed before use.

The Vintage Bean thanked Paddy
  • Linda
    7 years ago
    Ditto. Change some of the doors to glass front.
    The Vintage Bean thanked Linda
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

Just FYI - cabinets can be removed without being destroyed. Just unscrew them usually. The wall behind will probably not be finished - so you would need to finish it in some way - ideally by going up with the tile - but not possible unless you have leftover tile and the top row of tile did not need to be cut. If you change your mind and put the cabinets back, you will have to touch up the caulk and possible the paint.

I agree that removing the cabinets you are considering would look off balanced. It is possible that the wall by the fridge has room for something like this, only smaller:

Or this with the help of a carpenter:

I have never been able to figure out if the lack of symmetry in the pic above bothers me or not - your cabinets would produce the same.

I have to agree with the others that your kitchen is really pretty as is:)

The Vintage Bean thanked jhmarie
  • acm
    7 years ago

Agree that your kitchen looks great and that you'll regret open shelves. Also, removing two cabinets would leave you right up to the stove -- you seem to think that each door is a cabinet, but actually the two with knobs together almost certainly open into the same cabinet. If this is a new kitchen to you, maybe you need to live with it a while before doing anything radical...

The Vintage Bean thanked acm
  • Pool Habit
    7 years ago
    Just don't. If you were starting a new kitchen then sure, don't put in uppers, but since you have a lovely kitchen, just use the nice cabinets you have. I don't think it will look right at all.
    The Vintage Bean thanked Pool Habit
  • creatureofchaos
    7 years ago
    Another vote for no. Swap out the door fronts if you must - I had a couple of mine altered to hold brass grilles and it was a fantastic and simple redo.
    The Vintage Bean thanked creatureofchaos
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

If you're just feeling bored, you could paint the lowers or island a bright teal. Nothing too dark since you have dark counters, something bright and exciting.

Modern Federation · More Info

Just curious, what do you not like about your kitchen. It's lovely and seems very functional as it is.

The Vintage Bean thanked Emily Jowers
  • Steph
    7 years ago

Just replacing the last two with shelving, won't make a lot of sense visually or functionally, due to it being such a small area that connects to a soffit as well. Another vote to leave well enough alone.

The Vintage Bean thanked Steph
  • Susan
    7 years ago
    Why would you want to ruin your beautiful kitchen, especially for something as impractical as open shelving?
    The Vintage Bean thanked Susan
  • acm
    7 years ago

How about taking off that giant molding and replacing it with another row of cabinets, all with glass fronts? A fresh look, can show off some dishware, but not wrecking what you have that works.

Filmore St. Covington, LA · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

A couple of nice pendants might give you and updated feel too...

The Vintage Bean thanked acm
  • PRO
    ccaro4
    7 years ago
    As someone who would want to do the same thing, practicality be damned, I do think your current plan would result in disappointment. Keep thinking and you'll find a way to bring in the look you want in a different way.
    The Vintage Bean thanked ccaro4
  • PRO
    Lynsey Jane Designs
    7 years ago
    I would suggest you keep your kitchen as it is. By taking out cabinets you will then be left with the moulding above. This would then have to be removed and reformed to finish on the third cabinet.
    I love open shelving and have used it in lots of kitchen designs as you can see in one of my latest projects but feel it's something that should be on it's own on a clear wall.
    You could replace the eye level cabinet doors with glass doors. This would deal with the cleaning issue and will open up the design more. Creating a feel of space.
    Maybe paint the inside of the cabinets a different colour to the outside of the kitchen. Add lights in each cabinet and replace shelves with glass shelves to display your favourite pieces.
    As for the colours see pictures attached. I love charcoal and cream at the moment and can give a really dramatic look.
    Maybe replace you bar stools with something more substantial and comfortable.
    Good luck with your project. Your kitchen is already lovely.
    The Vintage Bean thanked Lynsey Jane Designs
  • The Vintage Bean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you SO much, everyone! I'm so lifted up and inspired by all of your comments. Why change to shelving? Well, I just love the look, but realize the impracticalities of it in my kitchen. Why not remove the large molding? Unfortunately, there's duct work in there. :( I love the idea of glass doors in lieu of shelves! Everything everyone has suggested I am seriously considering. THANK YOU! :)

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks nice as it is too. Putting glass in the fronts of some the doors would be easy as they are not arched. We did that a few years ago, as we could not replace or repaint the cabinets and they were that old builders' oak. It was a relief to break up all that "color".
    Just think about symmetry and what it would look,like from across the room and what would be showing if glass is not frosted. I am attaching an after photo of our old kitchen. We have since moved.
    The Vintage Bean thanked sunnydrew
  • gustaviatex
    7 years ago
    To anyone considering open shelving in an existing kitchen, just take the doors off the cabinets, style the contents and live with it for at least a month. See if it works for you.
    The Vintage Bean thanked gustaviatex
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

I think adding glass to some of your uppers is a much better idea. In looking closer at your cabinets, it seems odd that the first cabinet to the left of the stove opens in the direction it does. It looks like it was put up wrong. I would consider changing that like you mentioned.

The Vintage Bean thanked katinparadise
  • Mark Brunner
    7 years ago
    No to open shelves. I'd put glass door fronts in the far left cabinet.
    The Vintage Bean thanked Mark Brunner
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.