troy_burns13

Design Delima - Redesigning a Difficult Master Bath/Closet Space

Troy Burns
7 years ago

We are trying to decide the best way to renovate a master bath space.Between the master and the bath room is a total area of 108x136 comprised of a bath 48x136, a single vanity area, and a closet (Current Layout). We are considering 3 options, but are limited by a load bearing wall with sewer from upstairs bath between the spare master vanity and master bath. The home is a 4 bed 2 bath. The dimensions do not allow a tub or 60" vanity as configured due to windows, doors and plumbing. We believe it would be best to add a compact half bath. We are concerned about how the proposed layouts could affect resale value and appeal. Please review the attached renderings and share any thoughts of what might be best for the renovation of this space. Many Thanks!

Comments (41)

• acm
    7 years ago

First plan seems best. Would be tempted to turn closet door toward master, or convert it into a pocket door, so that you're not having to walk around it a bunch, etc. (At the very least, switch hinges to other side.) Half hall bath seems great for functionality and resale, but having giant closet opening into hallway seems terrible.

• acm
    7 years ago

Also, be sure to check that your toilets can move that far...

Troy Burns thanked acm
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We could put the closet door on the master wall, but we were afraid to interrupt our second full wall with another door. One wall has french doors opening to a courtyard and the other has a window. Would you agree two full uninterrupted walls is important?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO you need a shower in this space somewhere a 1/2 bath for a master will certainly affect resale I would use this whole space for a really nice master bath and build a reach in closet along the wall with the pockets doors with an entry to the bathroom at the far end of that closet wall. There are doors everywhere taking up valuable floor space get a designer to work with this space before you really discount your home

Troy Burns thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Patricia - Thank you. There is a shower in each design. Its on the top right wall - plumbing is on the wall with sewer from upstairs. We are planning an 8-12" bench below the window depending on how much we can expand the shower. With this info would you stick with a nice master 4 bed 2 bath or improve the master as much as possible and add the 1/2 bath for guests?

Many Thanks for the input :)

• User
    7 years ago
    @TroyBurns Which wall do you have the French Doors going into the courtyard
    Troy Burns thanked User
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your question. I have revised the layout to show the floor plan better. Please let me know of any questions or suggestions.

• PRO
    Beacon Rock Custom Builders
    7 years ago

In a two story house, a bathroom that can be accessed by guests on both floors is critical, but a private master bathroom is perhaps even more important to most people. If I am understanding you correctly, both proposed layouts 1 & 3 will accomplish this. I think that will be a big improvement when it comes to re-sale value. I like layout 1 best because it gives you a bigger master closet and it will be cheaper to do as well (you don't have to redo as much plumbing). The double sinks in 56" will be a little tight, but still doable. Good luck with your project!

Troy Burns thanked Beacon Rock Custom Builders
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Mabel123 Very interesting idea we had not considered. Upon consulting a measuring tape it seems it would limit the master to a queen size bed :-(

• User
    7 years ago
    @Troy You can have a floating toilet next to the open shower to save space and a soaking tub at where the window opens up to the courtyard
    Troy Burns thanked User
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ClaireLarece Wow - Thanks for the suggestion. I never considered a floating toilet. That could be a big help in the 1/2 bath design if not the master too!

• User
    7 years ago
    @TroyBurns I'm trying to visualize your plan you say you want a master bath and a guest bath but your all around bathroom size is 9' x 11' 3" . Are you sharing the bath with your guest?
    Troy Burns thanked User
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ClaireLarece - Well the bathroom space is so dysfunctional we have been down many roads with a professional realtor that guides quite a bit of remodeling for investors, and we have also spoken to several contractors. From there, we consolidated the 3 plans to ask for input from the design community.

Proposed layout 1 is probably the one we will go with. It has a full bath with shower 44"x48", & a 56" vanity on other side of shower - does not move sewer pipes or load bearing wall. It will be accessible only through the master via a pocket door.

We then add a wall, a toilet, and pedestal sink (or small vanity) in front of the master bath to create a half bath for guests. Above this bathroom is a full bath with a cast iron tub we will "re-bath" away from lovely 1968 almond. The idea is perhaps special guests will be allowed into the master, but family will have to go upstairs - lol...

• User
    7 years ago

@TroyBurns lol are you going to put a lock on that pocket door for privacy

• mabel123
    7 years ago

Hello again.

Just looking at all of your options again & one thing does worry me with options 1 & 2. That is the space where one would enter or exit the shower. In both options the toilet would encroach significantly. A standard toilet would be 27-30" deep.

Most bathrooms are 60" wide and there is no problem. However in a 48" wide space it would be very cramped.

You may find this desgn link helpful:

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/bath.design.rules.htm#.WCppNy0rLIU

Troy Burns thanked mabel123
  • User
    7 years ago

A way to make the space seem big could be to remove the doors to the closet and use a curtain if you want to hide the clothes

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Claire - Great point! Do you recommend a deadbolt or a thumb latch :)

• Kicksychick
    7 years ago

This is very rough, but you'll get the idea. Water closet with a pocket door, 2 sinks, pocket door to the closet, and a solid door between the bedroom and bath.

Troy Burns thanked Kicksychick
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Mabel123 Thank you for sharing your concerns! I have been favoring this toilet due to the same concern:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Cadet-3-PowerWash-2-piece-1-28-GPF-Round-Toilet-in-White-270DB101-020/204470480?keyword=270DB.101.020

Thanks also to @ClaireLarece we are now considering a floating toilet.

Reality is, it is an imperfect space for an ideal master bath. Anything non-destructive to value of the property incorporated in a wise fashion will improve it. Other suggestions have been to consume the guest room into a grand master suite making a 4-2 into a 3 - 2 & 1/2 home. It is my trusted realtor friend's idea, but I am not sure losing a bedroom to gain a 1/2 bath and bigger master on main - for the money spent to do it = the right win.

As challenging as the space is, it seems to be a waste not to at least add a 1/2 bath and then make the best master bath possible, without giving up closet space or room in the master for a king size bed . The in-master vanity and narrow bathroom are just a part of this 1968 California custom cool spanish mission home whose design includes arched doorways and exposed beams.

Its just confined by windows, doors, and quartzite style bricks that make it hard to build outside of the current foundation.

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. Karen and I really appreciate your input :)

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Barbara - WOW - What a great suggestion. Thank You!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is the way I see it

Troy Burns thanked User
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Claire - My wife is going - Oh yeah don't tell me a tiny house can have a tub and we can't! Thank you - our possibilities keep expanding despite the space being so static!

• User
    7 years ago

Your welcome @TroyBurns

Troy Burns thanked User
  • christina405
    7 years ago

Maybe consider adding closet left 7-8' of "north" wall (the one without windows or doors). Put the master bath entry door opening outward into the 3-4' left on that wall. I think that leaves 10' on the wall between entry to bedroom and entry to master bath for king bed and small night stands. Just another idea.

Troy Burns thanked christina405
  • Kicksychick
    7 years ago
    Think about changing the entrance to the bath/closet from the master. It will create many more layout options.
  • Kicksychick
    7 years ago

This is simply to help you visualize another option. It is not to scale and someone else could probably create a better bathroom layout.

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow - very creative! I had never thought about that! So many great suggestions! Many Thanks!

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I cannot thank everyone enough for their suggestions! In going back and forth with the measuring tape, contemplating windows (ugh - especially windows!), doors, beds, dressers, and mirrors we have narrowed it down to 2 designs. Price also has a bit to do with it as minimizing wall and door work may allow us to "rebath" the upstairs full bath. I am going to post the two designs and welcome more feedback and voting via the like button. Here they come

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We did not include a wall between toilet and vanity to make a WC here because it would eat a minimum of 3.5' of floor space and shrink the vanity. My research leads to 30" being code for a toilet.

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is a slightly modified version of layout 1 which many seemed to have liked as well.

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Newest layout plan after consultation with the plumber

• MLKR
    7 years ago

I would start with version 1 and in the area with the 24"door, I would remove the sink and toilet. I would then build a walk through shower in that entire space. now you have good access to all functions, closet, double dink, toilet and shower and no awkward areas. If done properly, the walk through shower does not need a door or a wall next to the toilet, but a 1/3 width glass wall from floor to ceiling would work too. Another advantage is that it doubles as accessible design, as well as provides a modern feel.

Troy Burns thanked MLKR
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@mlkr1 Thank you for your comment. I am intrigued yet I am not understanding the layout you propose. Could you help me follow your suggestion?

Many Thanks!

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

I do not believe that you have enough space to make a half bath that meets code requirements. A toilet requires 15 inches clear space from the center of the fixture to the next obstruction (wall, sink, shower etc) and I believe that the requirement is the same for sinks. Plus, you need 21 inches clear space in front of the toilet which means that your toilet can't project any more than 27 inches into the room. That spacing can be accomplished but it will limit your selection of fixtures.

Troy Burns thanked Linda
  • mabel123
    7 years ago

To allow more room in the half bath place the toilet on the wall facing the door.

Also, there would not be enough room for a vanity (which is typically 21" deep). Use a pedestal basin , or even better a wall-hung basin.

With this arrangement the door could be enlarged to 26" or even 28" if you go for a space-saving wall-hung basin.

Troy Burns thanked mabel123
  • Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Linda The house was built in 1968. It can't pass code on the doors as is because the doors are 24". With the space being 48" wide on one load bearing wall and a guest room wall that also has door limitations, there really is nothing we can do to create a 32" door into the bath. We can meet toilet and sink codes with a pedestal or 12" vanity. More than likely we will go with a pedstal and over the toilet cabinet in the 1/2 bath. Thank you for your comment!

• Kicksychick
    7 years ago

I prefer the last layout you posted with the longer vanity. There is extra storage space and you won't have a direct sight line to the toilet from the bedroom (a personal pet peeve). Consider a pocket door for the closet - no door swinging into the bathroom and more physical wall space for shelves, hanging rods, etc... on the interior of the closet.

• Troy Burns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Barbara - The plumber actually suggested it and then confirmed it would work with ducts, studs and joices. Currently we can choose between having it be a 24" - 30/36" cabinet with a 55" granite top, or a 54" cabinet the whole way down the wall... Any cabinet we put in past 36" will have a blind corner. So we are leaning towards a 30" with 55"granite top. We could then put a trash can and other things ??? underneath.

Karen and I agree line of sight toilets not preferred ;)

• kathy
    7 years ago

Or the blind corner could be open shelves. Or at least one shelf for tp storage and still fit your trash can.

• kathy
    7 years ago

oops just looked at the date. You've probably already decided:)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.