maureen888

Updated our 1990 kitchen, did not gut it to save $$

Maureen Stratton
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I liked our kitchen size, but really did not like all the golden oak, the low fluorescent lit ceiling, nor the refrigerator blocking the entry when opened. So we painted the cabinets, made a tray ceiling where the lights were just boxed in, switched the oven and fridge space, added granite and I now love our kitchen!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    11 years ago
    Maureen, very nice transformation. Like the way you incorporated black cab in the range area to create a focal point. What kind of hood is that? Is your fridge black or stainless.
  • PRO
    Fresh Paint
    11 years ago
    love the new floor. Great color
  • K B
    11 years ago
    Beautiful transformation. Especially clever treatment of the lighting.
  • Maureen Stratton
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The cabinet is actually dark mahogony, not black, but it is hard to tell with the photo : ) The bottom cabs are are grey/green, the uppers are off white. The hood is a Zephyr. All the appliances are SS. I'll see if I can attach a few more pics.
  • Laura Parent
    11 years ago
    Lovely transformation!
  • PRO
    EnvironmentalLights.com
    11 years ago
    We love what you did with your cove ceiling lighting! That is a great solution to dated florescent lights. The kitchen looks larger and warmer all around. Nice work!
  • Maureen Stratton
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! When they took down the lights, it seemed like a waste to let the partially drywalled and heightened ceiling go to waste. I love the ambiance at night, turning off all the other lights and having the warm soft glow.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Good use of what you were stuck with in the ceiling!
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    The ceiling is great!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    much more classy.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Its a hard kitchen NOT to love! Impeccable!
  • PRO
    Purcell Quality, Inc.
    11 years ago
    GREAT job! Just getting rid of the terrible lighting makes a Huge impact. Again, well done!
  • J LW
    11 years ago
    I also had an outdated red oak kitchen. I replaced the upper cabinet doors, formica for granite and added a glass mosaic tile wall. I think it came out really nice, any comments:)
  • Jennifer
    11 years ago
    I'm very interested in what you did to update the cabinets. Were they complete replacements? Can you provide a rough cost, if you don't mind? I am getting ready to list my house for sale in a few months and this is the first change I want to make.
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • Maureen Stratton
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Purcell Quality, we love our new lighting. This is our mountain home by the way, so we put in the lake and tree backsplash, and rustic type light fixtures, and "oak leaf" cabinet hardware.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    Nice work, especially with your ceiling !
  • Maureen Stratton
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! We really enjoy our updated mountain home kitchen : )
  • loubelou
    11 years ago
    Maureen, your kitchen is gorgeous!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.