kaufman

can you tell me what this stone product is? is it a thin stone? where can it be purchased?

kaufman
11 years ago
Bedford Westchester County New York Modern · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Aaron G. Edwards Landscape Architect
    11 years ago
    This stone is not a thin veneer. It is full depth granite. The project was completed quite some time ago so I cannot recollect the exact stone time. It was sourced from Bedford Stone in Bedford NY. They could likely tell you the exact stone from the pictures. The stair treads are sandstone and the paving above the stairs is a random irregular patterned sandstone.
  • drontansel
    11 years ago
    How did the expert build the stones with invisible sutures? I think he needed too many stones for choıce accordıng to the consisting stone wholes, try one and another bla bla..?
  • PRO
    Aaron G. Edwards Landscape Architect
    11 years ago
    The stones are fit like a puzzle and shaped as needed to achieve the tight joints. They are given a dry stacked (not mortared) appearance by only mortaring them only on the back half of the stone. The top of the wall needs to be capped with flagstone or mortared (in this case mortared) to reduce water penetration into the wall that will cause degradation due to freeze thaw cycles. This is time consuming work that can only be accomplished by a skilled mason that understands proper stone selection and is able to shape the rock with accuracy. It is time consuming and difficult work, but the finished product is a thing of beauty that will last for hundreds of years. The wall you are looking at is approximately 7' tall. Without including the stairs, you are looking at the work of two experts for approximately 6 days (110 man hours).
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.