bri_kramer

Staircase Remodel

Bri Kramer
7 years ago

Hello everyone :)

My husband and I are considering buying an adorable MCM home, but wonder what we could do with this staircase. It leads up to a small loft/office.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments (14)

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

In what way? Are you looking to modernize? Or do you need storage? Do you hate it?

• acm
    7 years ago

Yeah, I mean answers could range from a little paint to a new enclosed staircase to ripping it all out and letting the ceiling soar!

• einportlandor
    7 years ago

Budget?

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

its a lot of footprint for a little usable space. i'd do nothing, to begin, including moving/storing nothing up there. see whether you want the space, disassemble if not needed.

• Bri Kramer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all!

Budget would be around $3000. I was thinking something more modern, but would be open to paint as well.

I agree that it takes up a lot of space, so taking it down is an option as well. We would use it for an office area if not.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love having a random loft room. It makes the house more interesting. So I suggest you live with it for at least a year before you consider taking it out. You'll find you either love it or hate it by then.

To modernize, maybe take out the railing and put in a horizontal metal railing.

porch · More Info

Tudor Style Home with Modern Upgrades - Interior · More Info

• Bri Kramer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the railing. Does anyone have an estimate of what that may cost?

• acm
    7 years ago

Well, that's going to depend on where you live. I live in Philly, where there's a lot of iron work on historic homes, etc., and I did a 3-piece railing like that (but with an iron bannister too) -- that is, stair rail, 2nd floor side rail along the open staircase, and short railing for the three steps out front -- for around $1200.

Yours might be a little fiddlier because you probably would want to do something with the leftmost post from loft to ceiling, which would look very clunky when all the rest became metal...

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

our loft had railing like that we changed it to this.

my office is messier than yours can be.... i'd have papers fluttering down all over.

anyway, i'd make sure you really want it before spending money upgrading it. if its not really needed, its presence could make you crazy.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Often people posting on Houzz zone in on details that are possibly not that important in the whole scheme of things. If you're sure that staircase is what you need to address more than any other features or furniture or possibly the kitchen then you have some great ideas. Just saying, put it in perspective.

Love Jennifer's post.

• User
    7 years ago

3K wouldn't be enough for an sympathetic redo. It would be enough to ruin it with a remuddle.

• Bri Kramer
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Sophie! I can handle the truth ;)

• PRO
    Arnold Wood Turning
    7 years ago

Hi Bri,

You could
    draw attention to the staircase by replacing the spindles/balusters and putting
    a nice newel post at the base of the staircase with a finial on top to finish
    it off. I recommend using wood rather than metal for a warmer feel and the
    parts could be stained and/or painted to suit your needs. If you really want to
    make a statement and have your staircase look great, replace your railing at
    the same time. A newly redesigned staircase is a compliment to any
    interior and can really draw your eye especially when the staircase is near the
    entrance foyer.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.