isidora_markovic90

Fridges - integrated or exposed?

Isidora Markovic
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our fridges are something a lot of us may not give much thought to, but have the potential to change the focal point of a kitchen quite significantly. Do you prefer the look of fridges when they are seamlessly integrated into the overall kitchen unit so that attention is drawn away from the fridge and towards other features, or on display and making a statement?

Eh, I'm not too bothered...
Other - let us know below!

Comments (22)

• User
    7 years ago

Integrated, much better than seeing one on show.

• PRO
    Normanton Designs
    7 years ago

I agree that it depends on look and location. In most houses I would argue that integrated will normally look better. A free standing fridge automatically becomes something of a room defining statement which is only of benefit to specific styles.

• PRO
    Hampton Design Studios
    7 years ago

A free standing fridge can be a fabulous feature for your kitchen

• PRO
    Michael Nicholas Design
    7 years ago

Both in different settings. Attached photographs of two of our projects. The first where a mid-century / eclectic look with exposed fridge works well and the second shows a clean-line contemporary look where the fridge had to be integrated to maintain the aesthetic.

• PRO
    Indigo Acre
    7 years ago

Exposed is always more sleek and tidy looking however if you have a beautiful fridge such as a Smeg why not show it off!

• Isidora Markovic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Agreed - Smeg fridges were made to be shown off!

• PRO
    Kutchenhaus Aberdeen
    7 years ago

Integrated if its a standard fridge / freezer. But if its a statement you want go for SMEG and show it off.

• Helena Markou
    7 years ago

If you ever spill anything between the real fridge door and the fake one then it can be problematic to clean. Plus you loose the handy magnetic surface.

• Tameha Nazim
    7 years ago
    Integrated if if its a tall fridge buy exposed if its an american one
  • User
    7 years ago
    I have to have both as the integrated one wasn't big enough. Fortunately it's hidden behind a partial wall remaining from before the kitchen was extended. I don't particularly like the aesthetic of any fridges or indeed any white goods, so prefer them not to be seen, but some do look OK.
  • Lynda Rae
    7 years ago
    My fridge freezer looks great I want it shown
  • maggieandrichard
    7 years ago
    It really depends on the kitchen. I like quite tidy, sleek kitchens but I don't like too matchy, matchy, so a free standing fridge can avoid this.
  • Elaine Long
    7 years ago
    It really depends on the design and feel of the kitchen. Contemporary definitely suits an integrated fridge to keep it sleek and modern whereas a traditional country cottage kitchen can make a feature of an exposed fridge look brilliant
  • PRO
    Reniam Limited
    7 years ago

Unless it has character (colour, and shape, etc) being that its not a solid white block, then integrated

• PRO
    Kontour
    7 years ago

Prefer integrated as nothing worse than clients ending up covering the fridge with magnets, notes etc. At least no temptation when it's integrated. Exception is the Smeg of course; somehow I can't imagine the owner of a Smeg decorating it with magnets!

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    7 years ago

I prefer to have mine integrated now because I just want to have a streamlined look for my kitchen design. I am now living on my own and only want other items to take centre stage . However I think some of the attractive coloured smeg fridges stand out as a feature when you have medium size family to feed. My needs and opinion s have changed alongside my changes in homes over the years . Also depends how much space you can devote to your kitchen design.

• Sonia
    7 years ago

I have a Gorenje retro fridge (as used in Bakeoff) and it is fully exposed and I love it! It is exactly the same look as a Smeg but half the price. Everyone always comments on it. I do rather fancy the ice cube and cool water thingy on an American fridge, but I haven't go the space.

• Jenny Lewis
    7 years ago

We've just remodelled our kitchen and have an open Fridge/freezer and we love the look. We have mix and match cupboards so it all looks really good together.

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    I used to have this fantastic Zanussi Oz fridge which was greatly admired. (Sorry it's not a better picture). Apart from it, I think fridges should be discreet.
  • rzanuk
    7 years ago

Not one mention of functionality so far. Admittedly my budget is small but not one integrated fridge I looked had good vegetable storage and the internal space was too small overall. I love my very tall freestanding Bosch fridge and it swallows vegboxes with ease.

• 163 hrd
    7 years ago

Free standing with ice dispenser for Pimms, G&T, sangria, margaritas, mojitos ..........

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.