moeen_a

working on a duplex in Perth, WA

Moeen A
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Guys just wondering if I can re-arrange things in this bathroom to have a corner tub and bigger vanity.......this is what I am thinking. Would it work? first picture is how the architect designed initially, second is what I am thinking.

Comments (23)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    You don't have a lot of room but I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions. Do you really need a Cnr tub, they are a bit dated? How often do you need room for more than one in the tub?
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

please include internal measuremsnts of the bathroom and laundry to receive more specific suggestions

Moeen A thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi

I don't think it will work and will actually lose value because it will seem cramped.

Looking at the size of the bath, I'm guessing that the bathroom is around 1700 wide. Take a vanity as you have drawn it of approx 500mm deep, a toilet of around 700mm and you only have half a metre left as your walkway to access the bath and stand in front of the vanity. That's way too cramped. The corner distance between the shower and the vanity will be critical also.

I would stick with what has been designed or (without seeing the rest of the design) relocate the toilet elsewhere.

Cheers

Moeen A thanked User
  • Sammy Elder
    7 years ago

The vanity in the original plan is small, I can see why you would like to increase it's size but the floor space in your amended plan looks incredibly tight. You need to consider your market carefully as most buyers would place more value on usable floor space than a corner tub, as big reader noted they are dated. They are also very impractical for bathing children and a pain to clean.

Moeen A thanked Sammy Elder
  • Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am giving up on the idea of corner bath tub. :)

• Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That brings me to another question. As pointed by Sammy, the vanity is small in the current plan. Is there way to have a bigger vanity. Are there "two storey" vanities? Like have some extra shelfs on the sides to create extra space for storing bathroom stuff such as shaver gels, tooth pastes, air fresheners etc etc

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Go with the architects layout. Its pretty good!

Moeen A thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • millymu
    7 years ago
    Our bathroom has a similar layout of first one but vanity is at the other side. Is it possible to move it to the other side? Then you can have a longer one.
    We have a towel rack next to toilet.
    Moeen A thanked millymu
  • day_liv
    7 years ago

Stick to the architect's original design - it's very functional. Keep in mind you need floor space to move around and dry yourself.

Moeen A thanked day_liv
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    Good choice on the bath. To maximise storage: custom vanity where bench extends over end of bath, shower niches, wide medicine cabinet with power points inside, narrow cupboard set back into the studs opposite vanity/behind door, declutter.
    Moeen A thanked bigreader
  • Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow thanks tweeza, this looks awesome. would probably be expensive too :)

• Tweeza
    7 years ago
    I've had that photo in my idea book for a couple of years. I liked the use of space over the end of the bath and the continuous shelf running behind the vanity and toilet. I think you could get similar function without spending huge amounts of money by choosing a different finish other than tiles.
  • Tweeza
    7 years ago
    Here's another, similar idea - probably much cheaper than tile - you could use a different wall cladding for a more modern look....
    Moeen A thanked Tweeza
  • PRO
    Mondo Exclusive Homes
    7 years ago

Hi, As a builder and having a look at your option - I believe it would be a little too small to go with your option and make the room feel smaller. I would be tempted to try move the toilet out of the room if possible as its better for re-sale and for guests visiting. Should you need anything else feel free to contact me.

Ray Kershaw

Director

Mondo Exclusive Homes

Moeen A thanked Mondo Exclusive Homes
  • Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks tweeza, the second idea is also very nice. Gives a long platform to put things on.

Also, thanks to Ray. I understand but I have got extra powder room for guests so I'll keep the toilet in.

Now working on the bathroom for the back house. This is what the architect has come up with. I like it so far but the vanity is against the window, so where will the mirror go? What are my options here? Do I make the window smaller and taller? or are there any other options.

• Tweeza
    7 years ago
    Why don't you swap the bath and the vanity?
  • Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think because that will make the vanity really small and leave extra space along the width of bathroom. Tub is only 1.5 meter long but that side of bath is 2 meters. But yes I'll check with the architect too.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi

The drawings should have room layouts (elevations) that show you what is happening along that wall. I would suspect it is a highlight window, which is a long narrow one set up above the mirror.

Alternatively they could do a window at the end of the bath only.

Looking at the sizes, you could move the vanity to the wall and get a large window without it being much smaller as tweeza said, although you will lose depth in the floor space and gain width.

Cheers

Moeen A thanked User
  • Moeen A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just searched few highlight windows and they look very good. Awesome!

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    A decent walk in shower is fantastic if you can reconfigure.
  • lydia1144
    7 years ago
    Can you have a vertical window up high, with your mirror below it?
  • lydia1144
    7 years ago
    I don't think so. That would need to be a horizontal window!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.