jsscshr

Den Layout and Fireplace Questions

jsscshr
7 years ago

We bought this house late last year and have been living with it for a while, while we try to figure out just exactly what we want to do. The layout of the den has proven to be very difficult.

Photos are below as well as a possible plan should we be able to mount the TV above the fireplace.

The fireplace insert has to be completely replaced, so we're open to making some changes there - including a ventless gas insert. I'm wondering if it might be possible to reduce the height of the fireplace opening (from the top - maybe a row of soldiered bricks) in order to lower the mantel and ultimately get the TV lower.

Are code requirements different for mantel distance with a ventless fireplace? I know this varies by jurisdiction of course, but I thought some of you might have an idea.

So my two questions are:

1. Do you have an alternate layout ideas for the furniture? We don't want to be walking around a sectional like we are now. Maybe there's a way to not have the TV above the fireplace? We don't like it where it is right now smooshed in the corner.

2. How can I get that mantel lower so if we do end up mounting the TV there, we're at least craning our necks a bit less. (It's currently 18" from the bottom of the brick)

And yes, I know this room is hideous and there are kitten toys all over the place, but we have done absolutely nothing to make it suit our style. The kitchen is in for a full reno too, and at this point we're considering making the wall between the kitchen and this room a half wall.

Thank you for any input you may have!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there, I looked at photos of your den and it's a nice cozy space. But, I see your dilemma. Based on the photos, it's hard to know the scale and length of the room, but I'll do my best to share tips with what you've provided.

Anyway, for re-styling this den with the seating and TV arrangement, you might consider placing the TV on the opposite wall. Adding a slim wall unit (see example photo below) would add storage, plus extra space for the room and give the TV a special home.

If you're not ready to invest in another sofa, break up the sectional. Place the shorter end of the sofa sectional closer to the TV with the side table and lamp (or a floor lamp) to balance the look (this part would be facing the fireplace). Position the longer section of the sofa on the opposite end with its back slightly in front of the sliding door (it would take the place of the TV's current spot). Just make sure you have good "black out" curtains to block any reflection for best TV viewing.

If you're more concerned about limited space when walking to sit down more than how many people can watch TV at one time in your household, it would be best to choose a new home for the recliner and/or remove the smaller sectional from the room altogether.

As far as the fireplace issue, I found this information about fireplaces designed to burn wood and the appropriate mantel distance. It seems the mantel would have to be 6 inches from the fireplace opening. So, based on your photo, it appears you can place the mantel lower if you decide to place your TV on the mantel wall and keep your current furniture arrangement.

Hope this helps. Have fun with room styling!

• User
    7 years ago

The dangers of not reading a code completely...

The distance is 12" for a masonry built fireplace. Here is the current International Residential Code.

http://premiumaccess.iccsafe.org/premium/document/code/553/9848693

You will ALSO need to comply with the clearances specific to the insert you will use. Clearances vary by specific models of inserts, not by jurisdiction.

Ventless inserts are only for looks. They do not put out much heat if they are installed per code. Many jurisdictions have BANNED ventless fireplaces, or extremely limited their BTU output.

jsscshr thanked User
  • jsscshr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh yes the room dimensions! It's 12'10" wide and 16'4" (fireplace wall to kitchen wall)

Thanks for the suggestions! We're definitely ready to invest in different furniture so I'm open to totally different things. We need at least two reclining spaces (couch + recliner or sectional with room for two).

• PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    7 years ago

Oh, thanks for looking out, Fred. I've learned something today.

Jsscshr, it's good to hear you're open to purchasing new furniture pieces. With the proper scale of furniture for the room, it should look more spacious and open up your floor plan.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.