hollyr244

Curb appeal

Holly
7 years ago
I'm looking to brighten up the front of my house. I want the porch to look inviting and wonder what bright colors I should paint the front door and the steps/floor of porch. Should the steps be white or light gray? The trim is all maintenance free so it has to stay white. I am open to changing the shrub as long as it remains low maintenance but I'd be fine just trimming it up, too. In the summer I have two planters at either side of the top of the steps. The planter at the bottom of the steps in the pic is gone.
Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Andrea
    7 years ago
    Hi

Are you redoing the stairs? they could be spruced up with white risers. The railings could also be replaced with white wooden ones.

The shrub has got to go. It is overgrown. Any perennial is pretty low maintenance and will give you variety in shape, height and colour.
  • PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    7 years ago

Hi Holly, I love your home. It's full of potential for beautiful curb appeal for the spring. Ideally, your home's architecture would work perfectly with black shutters for the upper level windows, a black front door with decorative windows at the top of it, and the porch painted in black with a glossy finish. However, if you're looking for a bright color, how about a light green?

The shutters in green would help the home stand out, along with a medium-dark gray porch and a front door in light green or white. (See the example photos below. They show 2 different green tones, but they're simply for reference. )

You could also update the porch with planter pots filled with colorful lavender. Not knowing your area and the climate for the best shrubs, I think your evergreens would look great with a trim.

Have fun with your curb appeal update. I hope this helps.

Holly thanked Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

rather than paint, perhaps tiling the steps? no maintenance. porch paint and step paint will need touch ups. I like the way they did the bricks on the risers and a gray slate on top. you could do a nice blue door, like Gentlemans Gray, or reddish brick color here.

regenerative nest · More Info

love this blue w/the brick. you could paint the porch in this blue and do the door in the same blue, glossy. consider doing your handrails in a wood spindle type like this

Quinlan Residence · More Info

you could also do a another color (it's gray here but I know you want brighter) and then doing the wood door. that would look nice w/brick, the white trim and a blue or green porch paint. consider doing the ceiling of your porch in a natural small slat cedar or redwood and giving it a clear coat so that it looks like the wood on this door.

My Houzz: Bold Wallpaper Kicks Up a Century-Old Craftsman · More Info

Holly thanked Beth H. :
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.