hzdeleted_33367883

I've inherited an Overgrown Garden...PLEASE HELP!!

User
7 years ago

We've recently bought a property with a large garden. Both front and back have been let go for quite a few years and I'm wondering how and where to start. I am focusing on the front garden as this is the entrance to the house and the bit everyone sees. You will be able to see from the pics in the centre of the border is a beautiful maple tree, surrounding by rhodedenrons. Unfortunately there is a lot of undergrowth which has entagled itself, and when I'm stripping out its leaving bare straggly branches...! How ever will i be able to make this look nice, and keep the large established plants??

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Jonathon Charles Garden Design
    7 years ago
    Over the years we have had to tackle the same issues. You have to be ruthless and get rid of the plants that are surplus to requirement owing to their size and impact on the other plants that you'd like to keep. It's a painstaking process and as you say, there can be damage to plants that you are intending to keep.... BUT, it's the perfect time of year for restorative pruning. Plants are about to Spring into life and will be putting growth on which should held them recover.

Be ruthless and once the space is under control you can have a think about incorporating the shrubs you have left into a new design layout.
    User thanked Jonathon Charles Garden Design
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks both to have replied - much appreciated. I am hoping to make further progress on clearance today...weather permitting! So are you saying that this is the right time of year to tidy up the rhododendrons? They have become quite overgrown and straggly...as some parts have obvs been desperate for sunlight!

• acew1234
    7 years ago
    We had lots of out of control rhodies that we right chopped down then had to paint every stump with some horrid stuff which at the moment seems to have stopped them returning. They are like huge weeds here. If you have a fire the rhodie wood is great.
    User thanked acew1234
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I dont really want to get rid of them as they line the driveway and look beautiful in the spring...(cant really see from the photo i posted) but if i cant trim them sensibly then i may have to.

• temple274
    7 years ago
    Some rhododendrons grow away well if you cut them right back but a few don't. It's worth a try though as the resulting bushes will be tighter and more sharply in a few years time. And yes this time of year is ideal as new buds will form in the late spring and summer so you'll soon see how successful you are.
    User thanked temple274
  • PRO
    Jonathon Charles Garden Design
    7 years ago
    If you aren't worried about losing the flowers for a season and the shrubs are really out of control, a hard prune after the risk of severe frost/cold in early Spring is perfect.

Try to leave some smaller, fresher growth but prune over-grown older wood to the base. Let's face it, if it's overgrown, it's overgrown.
    User thanked Jonathon Charles Garden Design
  • PRO
    Snapdragon Landscapes
    7 years ago

All sound advise, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Don't be to scared nature will usually have a habit of coming back twice as strong as before.

User thanked Snapdragon Landscapes
  • Sally Barwell
    7 years ago

We had the same problem - an overgrown woodland type area. I stripped it right out, I had to get a tree surgeon to remove dead and dying trees, and I got some advise as to what was actually weeds and what was good plants for the area. If I am honest ripping a larger amount out was scary and I was a bit worried. Am so glad I have done it now because the first thing that happened a was a mass of bulbs snowdrops, bluebells and daffodils have emerged and I have a space where I can control and shape the next generation of plants and trees. I also agree with the other comment about edging the boundary with rocks. That would look lovely and natural

User thanked Sally Barwell
  • PRO
    Seasons Garden Design
    7 years ago

The Rhododendrons do not look that overgrown to me (depends on what you would like to see, though) so I would prune them once they have flowered, if you do it now they will not flower this year; I have cut Rhododendrons back very hard and they have always recovered, but you can always cut them back by a third over 3 years to be on the safe side.

User thanked Seasons Garden Design
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. It really helps! We've made a small start on the stone edging....it makes a great improvement and really defines the edge. The whole area is smothered in ivy...how do we get rid of this? We have also uncovered a beautiful curved wall underneath...so cant wait to make a feature of this too!

• PRO
    Midori Gardens
    7 years ago

If you are looking to keep the existing planting, the best thing to do is some careful pruning. You can easily maintain the maturity of the plants and bring out their silhouette and shape with pruning. You could remove any crossing branches and really thin them out to make them look more visually 'tidy' while making sure they still look established.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We've got this far. Does it look any good? Need some encouragement and inspiration to keep going? Should I plant some aubrieta above the rocks to add some colour...or something else? We are going to terram the mud area and cover with bark to keep the weeds down. Soon the rhodedendrums will be out in flower so will look better hopefully! Further ideas would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any thoughts and suggestions out there???

• errai
    7 years ago

Personally I'd plant lots of spring flowering bulbs and hellebores. Plus some grasses and other ground cover plants (imo evergreen ground cover looks nicer than bark chips).

• mudsi
    7 years ago

the stone edge makes a great difference. Keep going :)

• amanda stewart
    7 years ago

Well done , a vast improvement. I would add some ferns to the above suggestions too. Watch where the shady bits are during the day and plant accordingly. Don't make things too fiddly to mow either!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Garden is starting to look vastly improved now....1 year and 1 month after moving in. Does anyone have any suggestions for shrubs to plant behind the maple tree??
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Looks great! I'd go for flowering plants that are lower:
    like hellebores, liriope and, assuming you have the space for it, add azalea or another rhododendron. As suggested above, loads of spring flowering bulbs will be nice too.
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Here's a website that gives some nice options for plants accompanying Japanese maple, with photos.
    https://www.gardenia.net/guide/Companion-Plants-for-your-Japanese-Maples
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    I love trees with great Autumn colour and have taken my Acers with me everytime I've moved. This month I've added some Hydrangas since the fading deep pink/red flowers will hopefully look great with the Acers once the leaves get their brilliant colour. However I've never grown Hydrangas before so I'm not sure if the flower colour will be the same next year since it's affected by soil ph.
    Anyhow, think you've done a fab job and I'm sure it will continue to get better since gardens are never ever finished!
  • E D
    6 years ago
    Looks very good indeed. Fantastic improvement.
    I think the early advice about using rocks has been invaluable.
  • E D
    6 years ago
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman
    deserves some recognition methinks. :)
    I'm just not sure about his last picture. Looks like an unfortunate child was accidentally buried in the rocks...
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I'm very pleased so far too...its been hard labour of love to get it to this point! I was trying to find a pic of what it actually looked like when we moved in yesterday but cant seem to find it. we cleared 10ft of overgrowth off the tarmac all around the front and took some huge 10ft elders out from behind the maple. the back garden is yet to be tackled....!!!!!
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here we go...gives an idea of the overgrowth!!!!!!
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Lots of hard work, but very satisfying for you to see the results of your hard labour too, isn't it? Lots of garden for you to keep under control. I have almost 7000 m2, which I mostly manage on my own. Have grown a deep rooted hate for ivy and blackberries/brambles ;-)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.