theotherkylie

Should I paint exposed beams?

Kylie Bolton
7 years ago
We are gradually renovating a 1970s split level house with large exposed beams that have been stained mission brown. We are currently painting and trying to decide whether to paint the beams or leave as is? Any advice or opinions? We are planning to paint the walls and windows white (timber on windows was too water stained to resurrect) and we'll paint some wood paneling in charcoal grey. I worry that painting the beams will 'hide' them and I think they are a feature, but if we leave them as is they may look tired against fresh white walls. What would you do?? Thanks!!

Comments (40)

• oklouise
    7 years ago

don't change the beams all the other paint will freshen up the house and the beams are a real feature (and one less thing to paint)

• petapea
    7 years ago

I'd leave them. If the beans were all across the ceiling I might suggest painting them to tone them down, but your beams look standalone and so I'd leave them as an interesting feature.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi TOK

It depends on the overall theme of your reno, but based on what you have said you are painting, I would also paint the beams white. They will still be visible, as they create a shadow around them like a bulkhead but it will be more subtle...

Cheers

• stewby4
    7 years ago
    Advice from a professional painter and decorator, paint the beams. Mission brown has had its day! There is nothing pretty about the beams. They are there for a purpose. Blending them in will make those areas look so much bigger and brighter.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I had exactly the same problem, I didn't paint it , I lived with it for 10 years and hated it . So my advice is paint it same colour as your ceiling, or sand it back to original timber and see if you can make it work by re staining it or leaving it natural . You have lots of timber there, you can't have one this colour and one different, you have to decide on the look as a whole, and the steps??? It's not easy , good luck ,show us the final photos .

• User
    7 years ago

PAINT! It is going to look so open and clean. I've added some images below.

Winchelsea Beach · More Info

Meander Road · More Info

Open plan living area · More Info

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    I would paint them too. They will still be a nice feature but not over powering.
  • Kylie Bolton
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I think these photos have definitely convinced me to paint them
  • Hannah Millen
    7 years ago

PAINT! Exposed beams only work in some types of homes. Seeing as yours have already been painted- paint them so they blend.

Kylie Bolton thanked Hannah Millen
  • PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    7 years ago

Mission brown is never a good look!! In your rooms, it looks as though the painted beams are dragging everything down and if you paint them the same as the ceiling, your walls will seem higher, the architecture won't look so broken up and the whole space will feel lighter and brighter. If you have areas of beams spanning across a higher ceiling, then by all means, paint them BLACK.

Kylie Bolton thanked Anna Cottee Designs
  • Kylie Bolton
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all! We tried to sand a section but the stain has made its way into the grain as they are rough finished beams. I think painting them white is the way to go as the ceilings are quite low in some parts of the house. I had planned to paint the same as the window frames and trims – gloss white enamel – but should I be painting ceiling white or the white wall colour instead?? Thanks!

• PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    7 years ago

Sorry Kylie, I should have mentioned that the beams should be painted in Ceiling white or whatever matte paint you have painted your ceilings.

Kylie Bolton thanked Anna Cottee Designs
  • juliamac19
    7 years ago

I'd definitely paint them. We had exposed brick and natural colour timber beams, woodwork & windows in our beach house & painting it all the one colour - white - achieved an amazing difference. Otherwise your ceiling will look white with brown stripes!

Kylie Bolton thanked juliamac19
  • Andy Pat
    7 years ago

yes, paint

Kylie Bolton thanked Andy Pat
  • stewby4
    7 years ago
    Yes I meant to say paint the beams in ceiling colour. If you have a problem with a stain originally used on the beams then I would suggest a good quality oil-based undercoat first. I have always had more success with this as a sealer than other stain blocking paints available. Try to get an even coat and don't hesitate to put a second coat on if you think it needs it. The ceilings and beams can be over coated with a water based ceiling paint. Don't worry it's not the " overcooked" hamptons look if that's not your thing. It's just about keeping it simple and fresh looking. Gives you the option to add what ever furnishings and furniture you choose.
    Kylie Bolton thanked stewby4
  • User
    7 years ago

Definitely ceiling white. You do not want glossy wooden beams contrasting with your matte white ceiling - it will look very odd and not complement the home at all.

Kylie Bolton thanked User
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Ceiling white would look great but other than that the photos make the beams look black and black is good against the lighter timber like your house has,ie: entry. the Hampton's style also uses a lot of black.

Mission Brown definately not a keeper good luck

Kylie Bolton thanked siriuskey
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

Definitely paint them as you have a lot of other features and don't need the beams to stand out.

• sujo20
    7 years ago

If you are modernising, you will need to fix these. I had the same thing, had them boxed in, so they looked chunkier & more architectural. You should also box in the posts supporting them so it looks more like a feature than a support.

• Andy Pat
    7 years ago

sujo20..that depends on the space..more space and she could box them in, small space and the box then takes over...otherwise I would go with the architects suggestion above and paint them a nice shade of light grey to contrast with the white ceiling. Not sure about the timber stairs and balustrade, perhaps the same grey as the ridge beam. The post will also need a lick too.

• Andy Pat
    7 years ago

if the budget is up to it, to modernise the stair, suggest steel balustrade and stainless wires, treads could be steelplate etc etc

• darbyc
    7 years ago
    They don't appear to be a feature so I would paint them.
  • Andy Pat
    7 years ago

modernising the stair could really enhance the interior, lifting the space out of the dark ages

• helendyjak
    7 years ago

I would paint them!!!!!mission brown had its day and I hope it'll NOT B back!!

• Fig Ivy Cottage
    7 years ago

We had our plastered over there are three in this photo) and painted. They are painted the ceiling colour not the wall colour. We are very happy!!

• herladyship92
    7 years ago

I have the same dilemma! I am repainting my rumpus & downstairs in brilliant white. I've decided to paint the "mission brown" beams in my 60s house a very light gray colour, in a matte paint - not glossy. The beams will then match the bannister. I think my brown beams are so ugly and it will look much more modern.... let us know how you go!! :D

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

The first photo has grey ceiling and beams and does look good

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

• wuff
    7 years ago
    I would paint them
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    The same as the ceilings
  • Double D
    7 years ago

Paint them, they will look great.

• petaotj
    6 years ago

I came across your post and I think we have the same house! I was just pondering whether to paint or not. What was your verdict on painting the beams? I was leaning toward preserving the mission brown.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

looks good you don't appear to have the same amount of timber

• Belinda
    6 years ago

I have the same mission brown beams in my cathedral ceilings! I have an old 80s house. I think I will paint them eventually.

• Kylie Bolton
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We're still in the process of painting, but in the rooms we have finished we did paint the beams. Definitely no regrets! It's made the rooms so much lighter and brighter
  • ton12h
    6 years ago
    Time consuming and difficult job but I would definitely paint them, you still keep the essence of your 70's home but with a fresh updated look
  • PRO
    conway + wise
    6 years ago

We definitely think you should paint out the beams! We agree that Mission Brown has had it's day. And particularly in light of the low ceilings painting will freshen and liven the space. Go for it!!

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 years ago

Paint white or sand back to the original wood colour for sure!

• herladyship92
    6 years ago

I painted my mission brown beam a glossy white - it looks terrific. I highly recommend it! My interior now looks Scandinavian rather than tragic 60s, which is much more my style. :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.