movanela

Stair safety (toddlers)

Nick Smart
7 years ago

I am about to commence a renovation of this semi with what I consider a very unsafe stair design for toddlers. Issues are: 1. Wide gap between stair treads and treads not reaching the wall allowing a toddler to fall through the gaps 2. Railing that allows toddlers to climb up. 3. Safety doors that will stop toddler access to the stairs

Our builder is recommending plexiglass for railing and chicken wire for the back of the stairs both being unappealing options. I would really appreciate any ideas you have. This is a temporary solution for 2-3 years. Thank you!!

Comments (6)

• zaffa
    7 years ago
    I see what you mean regarding safety. My first thought is to close in the horizontal railing with something like plexiglass or some laser cut steel backings to prevent toddlers climbing the rails. I would also consider closing in the void section below the main stair and leave enough space at the start of the stair descent to walk down. Does that make sense?
    OR ... a carpenter could build a wall to close the open side of the stair in and under the treads and remove the balustrade completely by having a half plaster wall and then extend the floor across the void as per my suggestion above. You could create a study nook under the stair or even storage??
    Good luck!!
  • PRO
    Nick Smart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@zaffa thank you for your advice!

I like the plexiglass idea, I am finding it to be rather expensive..... also would like to keep the stairs open as they provide access to the northern light of our south facing house.

• PRO
    Nick Smart
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Miami steel - looks very nice. Didn't think about that at all. How does the steel fair in a beachside property? Does it show signs of rusting quickly? Thank you!
  • PRO
    Miami Stainless
    7 years ago

Stainless steel should not rust. Some stainless in extreme conditions might form 'tea staining' but this can be washed off. For beachside suburb we recommend mirror finish as it is smooth and has less areas for the salt to rest and cause tea staining. Satin finish has microscopic grooves where salt and dirt can catch.

Cleaning should consist of a wipe over of the wires and posts with a damp cloth.

If you see rust, this means your product is not really stainless steel or the product has been damaged or exposed to extreme environments i.e. Very High/low temp, sea water etc

• PRO
    Get Andy Building P/L
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

May I suggest that you look up the NCC Volume 2 which specifies the safety design parameters for stairs and balustrades. Any new work done on stairs and balustrades must comply with the code. You need to look up sections 3.9.1 and 3.9.2

In summary, whatever method you look to you can't be able to pass a 125mm sphere through any part of the stair or balustrade. It also specifies the design parameters for wire balustrades to achieve the 125mm sphere rule.

The design challenges for stairs are significant if you want the open back tread look. The easiest way is to install a block on the underside of the tread level with the back edge of the tread below. This way you can still have an open tread and achieve compliance. The harder problem occurs when using a wire balustrade and the resolving the gap that occurs between the treads and the lowest wire. I have seen several installations of late where the 125mm rule was very clearly not achieved. One was a very recent build and I'm still not sure how it passed the final inspection. The images from Miami Stainless show how this can be achieved. Clearly the best and most secure is the glass balustrade and the vertical bar balustrade.
    Good luck!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.