joeymc73

extraction fan for kitchen island

joeymc73
7 years ago

Wood Handle-less Kitchen · More Info

Hi, I wondered if anyone could advise me regarding an extraction fan. I am about to build a large open plan kitchen, dining, living room. The room is around 13m x 6.6m and the ceiling height is 3.2m. The kitchen/dining area is roughly 6m x 6.6m but as it's all open plan I assume I would have to take the whole area to figure out the rate of extraction I need. I am planning on an induction hob on my island and would like to use a ceiling extractor fan. I was going to get the joiner to build me a false ceiling over the island for the extractor to sit flush in but I don't want it to have to come down further than 600/700mm. i had something similar to this in mind with the extractor in the false ceiling.

So, my question is can anyone recommend a ceiling extractor that would have a strong enough extraction rate to sit that far above the hob? I intend to ask the joiner to duct this to the outside.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give to me.

Joanne

Comments (25)

• Katie Irvine
    7 years ago

Hi, we have a similar set up and are going for a standard wall extractor fan ducted to the outside on an end wall, and the 90cmx60cmLuxair LA90-DELUXSS as a recirculating ceiling hood above the peninsula. This is apparently fine for buildign regs. We're planning a 100cmx100cmx40cm (approx) box to house it. Hope this helps!

joeymc73 thanked Katie Irvine
  • PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    7 years ago
    Luxair or Elica have good island hoods.

If you need help with the design or supply of your kitchen let me know.

Jade
    Home By Design Ltd
    joeymc73 thanked Home By Design Ltd
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi Joanne,

You could go for Lux Air Anzi ceiling hood https://www.luxairhoods.com/quality-ceiling-cooker-hoods-slimline-motor-white.

We have just installed it in one of our projects. Here are the images

All the best!

Design A Space Team

joeymc73 thanked User
  • Dan
    7 years ago
    Stunning pics and useful information. Thanks
  • joeymc73
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow guys thanks for taking the time to advise me I really appreciate it. I have by chance just discovered the bora extraction hob which would illuminate the need for a ceiling extractor. Has anyone had any experience of these? I'm going for a demonstration at their lab in April.

• Tester 88
    7 years ago

The pop up extractor is efficient and is a great safety idea too. It is ducted out under the floor to the outside.

• Fran H
    7 years ago
    Airuno also have worktop extractors similar to Bora. I am currently renovating whole house and will have a broken plan kitchen extension, but not made a decision on extractor just yet.
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

morning joanne,

ceiling extractor fan look good and are very stylish and are getting very popular especially ,with interior designers and architects, if you do decide on a ceiling extractor fan you will have to suspend the ceiling up from the cooker around about maximum of 2m for the fan to work efficiently,

i agree with DCL interiors design llp pop up worktop extractor fans very unique and are power full, and there will be no need to suspend your ceiling down at all the money your going to spend you could spend it on something else

• S L
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest the Bora

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    7 years ago

I have seen Bora working at a trade show in Germany last year and was very impressed with it. I would have a look and consider this for sure.

• geoffreypowell
    7 years ago

ditch the ceiling extractor... do you want your fantastic space taken up by what is simply a vacuum cleaner - duct through the floor / extractor in the island - this can be one of those rising tower ones - or simply a grill, with a cheap extractor hidden in one cupboard.

• temple274
    7 years ago
    I've used a Neff ceiling extractor at above recommended height in our barn conversion in France. It works.
    Also have a Bora Classic in our recent renovation in England. Haven't cooked on it yet as I use the Aga most of the time but the extractor is very efficient at getting out unwanted smells, and in testing you can actually see the steam being sucked down.
  • bruket
    7 years ago

I would not have a hob on an island. My first kitchen island I build in 1984 and it is on big wheels. It is still the most fantastic piece of furniture, 2200x1200. At party time it was simply moved to the best position for the party to run smoothly.

• Kim Williams
    7 years ago
    I have a pop up extractor, it's brilliant! works wonderfully and looks amazing
  • sarahcalbourne
    7 years ago

We have a ceiling mounted extractor in a very large room and it works really well. We ended up with a Brittania BEST extractor (bought from John Lewis) simply because we have a structural steel running above and the position of the internal ducting fit best with that model, though it's a bit bigger than we ideally wanted. The slightly lowered section of ceiling around the extractor is also because of the steel and wouldn't otherwise have been needed. We were actually told that there is a minimum height, rather than maximum, for it to work properly - see http://www.besthoods.co.uk/2011/08/ceiling-extractors-8-things-you-need-to-consider-before-buying-a-ceiling-hood/

It's very powerful and we've had no issues with it. A family member has the pop up option and that has been a bit of a hassle - it's not that powerful and ends up getting dirty from cooking every time.

• foster_michelle1
    7 years ago

Hi I have an icon extractor fan above my hob which works very well & just blends in with the ceiling. Concerning your induction hob try & get one with a metal trim I brought a neff one & on day 2 caught a plate on the edge & it chipped - I could have cried. Hope that helps.

• tweakyb
    7 years ago

I have a monza extractor... Wud highly recommend- cost around £800- compared to Bora which start at £2k- and the Bora hob/ extractor that I really liked was )£7k!!!

• PRO
    Design By Kurys
    7 years ago

Hi Joey,

I have used the Miele pop up extractor fan personally before and it is excellent. You get what you pay for and Miele although at the higher end of the market isn't the most expensive but definitely delivers. It sits flush in the worktop and gives a really slick design. Here's a photo of my old house and kitchen, the extractor blends seamlessly in with the induction hob.

• Mark Turner
    7 years ago
    Evening Joanne,

Have a look at Pando cooker hoods before you decide and I would always recommend a ceiling hood over the other options. They're made in Barcelona but have powerful and efficient German motors.

Some of their models allow you to locate the motor outdoors so you can cook in silence - ah bliss! If you go down the ceiling route make sure it covers your hob and also make sure it's fitted at the recommended height for maximum efficiency.

Another good tip is to turn the extractor on before you start cooking to get the air moving around.

Hope that helps - all the best,

Mark
    joeymc73 thanked Mark Turner
  • PRO
    by me soft furnishings
    7 years ago

Just a note that you are having a kitchen/dinning room/ sitting room area, do you have fire place in the sitting area as this needs to be considered with your rate of extraction. This is a safety issue.

If you can go for extraction not recirculation for a better result, (you don't want smelly sofas!)

• PRO
    Andrea Hardaker
    7 years ago

The Bora induction hob was demonstrated on our stand at ExCel last week. It is an induction hob but importantly this one is recirculating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCPY5J7vsk

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    7 years ago

The only really good extraction for over the island is provided by Gutmann or Westin , ceiling ones . Anything else is just not powerful enough. Don't bother with downdrafts .

• hapiak
    7 years ago
    Interested in this discussion as planning same but slightly smaller at 11m x 5m
  • PRO
    JDM Woodworks Ltd
    7 years ago

We use all lot of Faber extraction fans and have never had a problem or complaint on any of them.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.