lauriecoplin

Help decorating 2-story L-Shaped staircase

Laurie Coplin
7 years ago

I am at a loss for how to decorate our 2 story L-shaped staircase. There is so much wall space. I want it to look clean, simple and elegant. My style is transitional to modern. Ignore the super small family pics currently hung. They will be removed. Options / questions:

- Art on both sides?

- Art on just landing wall?

- Art on just adjacent wall?

- Leave plain?

- If art on one or both, one large piece? Set of art in a grouping?

- What type? Painting? Architectural piece? Mirror (although I'm kind of maxed out in adjacent rooms)?

Thanks so much! And yes, that is an outlet on the landing wall : /

Comments (26)

• MM Glaze
    7 years ago

This is the idea ...

• PRO
    Diane Goldberg Interiors, inc.
    7 years ago

I'd put a large architectural sconce where the outlet is and one at the top of stairs...put a larger chandelier and one very large piece of art on the back wall where there are family pictures...it should be a vertical...at least 5' tall..

Laurie Coplin thanked Diane Goldberg Interiors, inc.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I also don't like the railing dark...make it light..a shade of white..

• partim
    7 years ago

I would leave it plain.

Laurie Coplin thanked partim
  • Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the simplicity of sconces. I currently have candle sconces in the dining room and real light sconces in the living room. Is that getting too repetitive? Is that difficult to install?
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Change the furniture at the bottom..too dark and not current...possibly mirrored and a piece of sculpture on it with a taller lamp..

Laurie Coplin thanked Diane Goldberg Interiors, inc.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Laurie Coplin thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 111ideahound
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sconces in my opinion in a large open floor plan can not be overdone.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Tall ceilings often make us think we need to "fill up" the wall space. When you have a "L" staircase, you actually have less wall to deal with. In fact, if you want a more "transitional" look less would be more. I would find a dramatic, but smaller piece for the wall you face as you come up the stairs and center it, but keep it at eye level, not too high. On the opposite side (the wall you face coming down the stairs) find a long narrow artifact that speaks to the other art. Here are some examples.

Kalorama Residence · More Info
    Here is a dramatic frame in gold with a dark subject matter. It is lighted, but that wouldn't be necessary. Notice nothing else on the walls, but a dramatic vignette at the bottom of the stairs. This simple look, would make for a wonderful look in your entry and staircase.

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the thoughts so far! Agree that I might have too many sconces. I like the idea of one big piece (60x40 ish). Not sure which wall. I appreciate gallery walls but I think might be too busy for my taste. I can't replace the chandelier because I just bought it :) Agree on the entry table. It could use an upgrade for sure. I think white railings would be a bit too modern for suburban Kansas City (ha!). We actually just finished installing the spindles and end caps. You should have see it before : /
  • 111ideahound
    7 years ago

Laurie, I think I wasn't clear. I meant you may be able to use sconces in a few rooms and it can work in an open floor plan. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Mallin Cres - Master Bedroom · More Info
    A single small print perhaps in a sepia tone, surrounded by a extra wide white matt and a thin black from is dramatic and singularly beautiful. As you come up the stairs you would be drawn to the picture. This is all you would need.

At the bottom of the stairs, I would place a modern console with a black shade lamp and some reflective piece on the console with the lamp.

Franzea Mirrored Console Cabinet · More Info
    Something like this.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Black Stud Ceramic Lamp - Black,Gold, E26 · More Info
    Lamp for that cabinet. The black and gold would go beautifully with your existing walls and railing. I might try to do a little mock up for you later tonight or tomorrow.

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

111ideahound - I mis-read! I'll look at my space in the light tomorrow and see how that might look. Thank you. :)

Flo - Good to run into you again! You helped me tremendously with my office! I will post after photos when I'm completely done. I like the "less is more" approach". The black accent would be great with the tile on the floor as well as the staircase. Very elegant. Thank you!

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Flo- I love that chest. I have a similar pattern in my dinning rug and drapes directly across. Perhaps too matchy matchy? I found this one that has potential too.....
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

mock ups · More Info
    Hey! Laurie! Glad to see you again as well. Here is a little mock up. Simple wide white print at eye level on stairway, first landing. Interesting cabinet at entry with lamp to the left side (higher on left usually best) with some sculptural piece, very simple. Then on the wall where you have a longer narrow piece, remove that and find a wide black frame piece with gold accents to repeat the golds. That is all you need. The wide white frame piece is an Andy Warhol, but just to give you the "look". You can make one of these type things yourself with help from a Hobby Lobby framer. Thin black frame, wide white matt and 3x4" small print of some kind. Something intriguing is best. The rest is kind of self explanatory. See what you think of these ideas! Have a wonderful weekend!

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all! Thanks again for the great feedback. My overhaul is complete! We ended up putting a sconce in where the existing wall outlet was. We bought a huge painting for the adjacent wall and replaced the table, lamp and accessories. I love it!

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One more update. We lightened up the walls and painted the inside of the front door black. NOW, it's done ;)

• MM Glaze
    6 years ago

That looks really great! What paint color is that? Looks really nice!

• Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi MM Glaze. The wall color is SW Softer Tan and the door is SW Urbane Bronze.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    Laurie your choices were perfect! You have a gorgeous home. Love the oversized painting.
    Laurie Coplin thanked 111ideahound
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    I like your black stairway btw. Dramatic.
    Laurie Coplin thanked 111ideahound
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Looks incredible. Love the black and golds and the oversize painting is perfect. You did great. One tiny suggestion...move the vases in toward the center of the entry table about 3". About the same distance from the edge as the lamp on the other side. It will be more balanced. Love the lamp. Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the photos because sometimes we don't see the end point, so thanks for taking the time to do that! Enjoy your beautiful home. Very chic!

Laurie Coplin thanked Flo Mangan
  • Laurie Coplin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Flo! I moved the vases. Much better. I'm happy to post after pics and think everyone should! Do you know where I bought the lamp? Target! Looking forward to our paths crossing again down the road. . . . :)

• PRO
    Jessie Rasche Art Studio
    6 years ago

It looks beautiful.

Laurie Coplin thanked Jessie Rasche Art Studio
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.