rockdale

Rhododendron Purple Gem /PJM?

Rockdale (RI Z6)
7 years ago

Hi,

Can you help me ID these two Rhododendrons? Are the first two pictures "Purple Gem" and the next three pictures "PJM"? I planted these two Rhododendron on my foundation three years ago and now I realize that they are different plants. I checked my tags and did some research I think these two are the closest. I do have two "Purple Gem" tags but could not find another "Purple Gem" in my yard. I wanted to get a confirmed ID so that I can replace another one with the same. Now they are on each side of my main entrance and it is not symmetrical at all. Thanks in advance.

"Purple Gem"?

"PJM"?

Comments (5)

• akamainegrower
    7 years ago

The first two are probably Purple Gem. The rest are definitely not PJM. Hard to tell from the photos, but these seem to be an evergreen azalea. There are dozens of this color, so nearly impossible to say what specific variety.

Rockdale (RI Z6) thanked akamainegrower
  • Rockdale (RI Z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. I am going to get a "purple gem" and move another one to my back yard.

• PRO
    urban oasis
    6 years ago

The second one is Rhododendron yedoense var. poukhanense.

• idahotimber
    5 years ago

Purple Gem is a PJM rhododendron. They look leggy and probably need more hours of sun.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

idaho, I think you may have your facts mixed. There is no relationship between 'Purple Gem' and the PJM group....other than they share a seed parent. akamaine had it correct - the first two photos are of Purple Gem; the second two are of some sort of azalea, possibly the one referred to by urban oasis. There are no PJM's showing in the photos.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.