anitamack1

Tiling patch job advice

anitamack1
6 years ago
We have just removed a brick wall and ceiling box that was previously a room divider of sorts. I have searched everywhere for the same tiles but no luck, last sold in 2012. Tiles are 33 x 33cm. The only tile I could find is a contrasting dark grey that I'm hoping will link with our new kitchen we just put in.
Desperately need advice on:
A) if this will work
B) do I just fill the existing gap with the new tiles or extend it to the archway of the hallway
C) other suggestions.

We replaced the carpet in our front lounge with an antique brown vinyl floor planks but it's not an option to replace all flooring at the moment.
Walls are being painted grey (resinne surrender) with lexicon qtr trims and white roller blinds throughout. Furniture and styling to follow.

Comments (12)

• bigreader
    6 years ago
    Is there anywhere eg laundry, linen press that you could try and remove tiles from to use? Either that or leave until you can replace the lot.
  • User
    6 years ago

or under the refridgerator?

• anitamack1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great idea but unfortunately no there isn't. We had to fill gaps for the fridge and dishwasher when we ripped out and redid the kitchen. I used a contrasting tile where it wasn't going to be seen in those spots and kept the rest of the footprint the same.
  • robandlyn
    6 years ago

Personally I think that even if you managed to get the same tiles it will still look odd because the joins will have to be grouted so there will be an odd pattern of tiles. Unless you got enough so that you could take up the surrounding tiles and therefore get continuity.

• Gallifrey
    6 years ago

Level out to the surrounding surface, and cover with a big rug until you can replace the whole floor.

• JE C
    6 years ago
    As above ....maybe a large rug under the dining table and position both so that it covers up without looking like it's hiding a problem?
  • anitamack1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Agree the join would be noticeable. Unfortunately the gap goes 5cm into one row of tiles which means 2 rows need to be removed and replaced. Otherwise we would have had just enough for it.
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    You can remove tiles on the side of the gap and all the way up to the wall and have two rows of feature tiles or just black or white what ever you like . That would run across the whole room and would not look like patch up job.
  • anitamack1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Oskuee. Would you take it to the wall, which is in the hallway, or stop it at the arch/start of the hallway where the room ends?
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    I think all the way to the wall to look intentional.
  • Gallifrey
    6 years ago

I think any patch job will look odd. You either need to hide it or retile the while floor.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.