insy09

Backsplash dilemma

insy09
7 years ago
We really struggled to decide on a backsplash and can't decide between glass or tiles.

We had looked at white or coloured subway tiles also herringbone styles and subtle blue/green glass. But we never reached a decision and we hoped you could help us out.

What do you think would match the kitchen? It's open plan kitchen and have F&B ammonite painted walls.

Comments (16)

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Personally I hate tiles, especially metro tiles.
    You have a modern kitchen and I'd keep it modern by having a glass splashback.
  • Lou
    7 years ago
    I agree and think you should opt for glass splash back. It will add depth to the the wall of units and will also break up the white too.
    Lovely kitchen by the way! Where is it from?
  • A S
    7 years ago
    Having seen glass splashbacks, or splashbacks which have the same effect as worktops, I've moved away from preferring metro/subway tiles, especially for use in a modern handleless kitchen.

I find the tiles to be quite fussy with there bring so many with the excessive amount of grout lines (which you have to maintain) and doesn't suit the clean fuss-free look of a handleless kitchen...

I'd consider a glass splashback, bold if you will or a subtle shade to break apart the white and bring some colour to the room...

Good Luck
  • insy09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your comments, we'll take a look at the glass as recommended.

Lou it's from Schueller
  • headers13
    7 years ago

Definitely glass will look really good. Tile grout gets very dirty in kitchens. Glass will give you a sleek look to match your kitchen which looks great.

• S L
    7 years ago

I think any of these would look great

• PRO
    Christopher Peters Kitchens and Interiors
    7 years ago

Why not try something different...frosted Georgian wired glass (like your old school doors) Paint a colour behind if you like (F&B Worsted or Moles Breath) since your walls are Ammonite? We're using this glass as a splash-back in a current project, it's going to look fantastic...watch this space as we'll post a few images.

Good luck!

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I'd go for aged copper and switch the switch plates to black to tie in with the appliances as they have. If you do opt for glass just check it's ok behind a gas hob. I get confused with some saying toughened glass is fine but others not!

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    7 years ago

Hi there! I like the frosted Georgian wired glass idea. It is different and will look real nice.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Have you considered a mirror? This would not only work well with your colour scheme but would provide a more spacious feel by reflecting the colours already in your kitchen. If you felt more adventurous tinted mirror glass.

When using glass behind a cooker you can use plain or toughened for heat resistance but ultimately what should be considered is durability. In this location where it is likely that pots and pans could knock the splashback toughened should used. If you commissioned us for this installation then toughened glass would be provided as standard and we could explore different options for glass colour or backings if mirror didn't take your fancy.

Robert

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi, Lovely kitchen you have now. I think glass splash back would look sleek and contemporary. Here area few images of our installations...

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 years ago

Hi

Beautiful kitchen. How about a copper style splashback to tie in your pendant light?
    http://www.kagglass.co.uk/metallic-marble/

Shannon

• PRO
    Floor Monster
    6 years ago

Love the kitchen, how about adding some real wood character and charm with some Wooden Wall panels. These easy to install real wooden panels can enhance the real wood flooring and bring more interest and focal point in this kitchen area. See the range here:

Wooden Wall Strips Oak Colour

Wooden Wall Strips Oak Natural

Wooden Wall Round End grain

Wooden Wall Strips Funky Oak

If any are of interest please feel free to get in contact!

Thanks Floor Monster

• PRO
    Charles Byron Ltd
    6 years ago

Perhaps a very slightly smoked glass would complement the colour of the units and the lights.

• tezz4
    6 years ago

Paint the wall and put glass over it. If you want a change after a while you could unscrew the glass and paint over in another colour.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.