edubya

POLL: Black Stainless Steel Appliances - Yes or No?

Emily H
6 years ago

High Park Home · More Info

Many home appliance brands have rolled out refrigerators, oven ranges, dishwashers and other appliances in black stainless steel, a darker take on the classic material. Would you consider incorporating black stainless steel appliances the next time you update your kitchen?

Yes
No
Other - tell us about it!

Comments (249)

• triciajoelle
    6 years ago

Stay away from black stainless. Mine is "peeling". The black coating on top of the stainless steel underneath. The manufacturer is (two letters, and NOT GE).

• User
    6 years ago

Why the hush about manufacturer? Says LG is the one that's giving problems if that's who it is. Helpful when people do searches about this stuff.

I can't believe they put a product on the market with that poor of a finish. That ridiculous and down right greedy.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

OK, before you start dishing manufacturers - check the facts. Black Stainless steel accounts for 30% sales of the most popular brands including LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool and KitchenAid (these do NOT include the usual luxury brands like Thermador, VIking, Miele, Gaggenau, Wolf, La Corneu, Sub-Zero and others.

The finish - black steel is an oxide applied to stainless steel. IT CAN be scratched, chipped, peeled. And yes, it doesn't look good with a shiny scratch/chip in contrast to the black. So ANY black steel can cause appearance problems.

Tests were done by YALEAPPLIANCE.COM on Frigidaire, LG, Samsung, KitchenAid and Whirlpool. Samsung came out the best because they put a double layer of black oxide on their refrigerators. But it still had scratches. And the black oxide was the lightest hue of all the brands tested, so the contrast was less. And if you scratch hard enough - yeah, it will go all the way through to the stainless.

And do consider that you can buff those black stainless appliances of scratches just like car enthusiasts do with the scratches on their awesome collectable cars - buff with carnuba wax after cleaning with a MILD detergent and soft cotton rag or auto paint cleaning sponge which is really a soft car waxing sponge.

• derenze
    6 years ago

Celestina- just a question -do you own an appliance store? You certainly have been pushing the whole black stainless steel issue and ignoring/dissing comments about its' staying power. I have a Samsung range-it does not have scratches-it has large pieces flaked off and the contrast between the black and silver is very noticeable! See my photo. Samsung does NOT have any "official touch-up" paint according to their customer service reps. I have followed their cleaning advice to the "T". I also had purchased an extended warranty, which they/ Best Buy will not honor because this issue is considered cosmetic. I paid a considerable sum for a horrible looking appliance which completely ruins the look of my kitchen. I am not the only one with this issue as the Samsung website has posts by customers hoping to start a class action lawsuit against Samsung for this costly disaster. Buyer beware.

• triciajoelle
    6 years ago

Sheeisback... no mention of manufacture name because a lot of forums do not allow the name of specific manufacturers, and commented is prevented from being posted . As to not have my post flagged, I did not mention the manufacturers name. THAT is why the manufacturers name was not specifically listed.

• triciajoelle
    6 years ago

celeste89... my black stainless DID NOT scratch. Since I have no kids, and treat it like a Ferrari... I NEVER thought in my wildest dreams that the LAST problem I would have with my black stainless would be the finish. I have the original plastic wrap still in front of where your hand would grab the handles, and have plastic shelf liner on the shelves. So, when I say "Treat like a Ferrari", I'm not kidding. What had happened with my black stainless was... when gently wiping with soft cloth, I saw what looked like a food smudge (highly impossible). It was brown/ rust in color on the top edge of the top drawer of my 2 drawer unit. Very easily, and without any real pressure, the black stainless coating flaked off, showing a bright silver edge. For an appliance that retails for nearly $4000.... it is ridiculous. So, in all due respect, I stand by my experience... DO NOT BUY BLACK STAINLESS. (Oh, that was within a year after purchase.)

• triciajoelle
    6 years ago

And, as another poster mentioned... sometimes the factory doesn't coat heavily enough in areas, and this can be the reason that this has happened. Oxidation under the black stainless coating can happen. Which , AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR, it had with my refrigerator.

• triciajoelle
    6 years ago

Derenze.... woah! Just saw your pic! Holy moly! Yup, that is the "flaking" that I have, but not nearly as large of a space. LG does not have touch up paint, either. The best I could do is replace the front of the drawer. BUT, matching the black stainless would be nearly impossible. Having been a "flipper", and constantly in appliance departments, basically to see if there are any good floor sample deals, I have noticed that the black stainless depth and color can be different from year to year, shipment to shipment (manufacturing time) and manufacturer to manufacturer. (My flaking fridge was for my own home, not a flip, and brand spanking new). Anyway... The odds of matching the depth of black in my stainless drawer to rest of fridge would be slim to none. (BTW, I think celestina89 suggested many posts back to get a car painter to paint an appliance for colored appliances, but if I remember correctly, changed her opinion when questioned. Run through the posts and look... So her (inconsistency of) opinion does not have much weight with me.) Think about it, between you and I , don't think we said ANYTHING about scratches, but she defends the finish and talks in length about scratches. "I know a lot about nothing".... pfff!

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

People always list names on these forums. I don't see why it would be a problem. I'm off to look at the rules here because in over a decade I don't recall it ever being an issue. And a flagged post doesn't necessarily get pulled, it gets reviewed though I believe it's more for out of line behavior but I could be wrong. Things are different with the Houzz takeover of Gardenweb.

• User
    6 years ago

Basically my post indicated that all black stainless have problems - some scratch, some peel, some chip. The wax solution to lessen the problem of the stainless underneath showing was just a suggestion. It does work on cars with steel bodies. Wax also works for certain appliances but I would check it out regarding heat such as a cook top or oven. And there are sites that give suggestions on repairing the black oxide coating.

I am not anti black stainless. I personally don't care for stainless steel appliances due to the shine. I am considering black stainless appliances for my project - cottage in the woods, but it's another 3 years before possible purchase. Perhaps they will improve - perhaps not. I don't know. I am also considering to have a white refrigerator repainted by an auto paint place with one the various colour scheme(s) I've selected so far. And also on my list is a possible counter depth with an applied panel for at least the fridge. However, that still leaves other appliances - steam/convection oven and cooktop.

As to ignoring "staying power" of black appliances, I gave info to the contrary. Of course, consider that it came from Yale Appliances. I'll give you another: The sales of black stainless appliances have been increasing every year since their introduction just two years ago in 2015 by LG & Samsung. GE started things off about late 2012-2013 with the intro of slate appliances.

Bosch has recently introduced their first black stainless steel for the kitchen and states that it has created a finish to help "guard against scratches and fingerprints". Samsung has also announced a new black finish.

Manufacturers are still tweaking their lines. Today the choice is Stainless (mid 1990s luxury, then 2000 appliance stores), Black Stainless (2015) and Black Slate (late 2017). Of course, there were the stainless steel kitchens of the 1950s (cabinets, sinks). And in 1960s Julia Child used a stainless steel oven on her show and her infamous Garland range.

In my book, the jury is still out. I'll wait a few years to see what really does take hold with the market. Until then I'm very content with my white refrigerator, microwave, oven and washer/dryer. Yeah, I know - I'm old school.

• Dorie
    6 years ago
    Yes! It’s a great look. I’m tired of my regular stainless, so I’m replacing each one as needed. The black compliments the regular stainless.
  • lmfi
    6 years ago

Darker appliances make the kitchen look sad.

• mjkjrobinson
    6 years ago

I love the appliances in my kitchen! The only black stainless is my new oven, my new fridge is stainless! So ya I love them!

• Harper
    6 years ago
    I just saw bronze appliances in one of my magazines. Its gorgeous.
  • Sophia Snyder
    6 years ago

yes it is gorgeous.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 years ago

N.O.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    6 years ago

chiflipper I suspect the reason you don't see features on the Jenn-Air Oiled Bronze appliances is because Jenn-Air discontinued that color at least three years ago. It will probably be a while before you see any kitchens that feature Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze since that color was only released and made available a few months ago. Since they even admit on their own website that it is not a color that will work in every kitchen, my guess is it will be a short-lived colored option.

• User
    6 years ago

ILVE appliances offer many colours and bronze features. They are a popular brand, made in Italy and available in the US. Whirlpool which owns Jenn-Air has played with copying European appliance features. Whether or not it catches on in the US remains to be seen. ILVE is offered by EuroChef USA.

• vegasrenie
    6 years ago

FWIW, I saw a line of KitchenAid appliances in what I'd call a matte black stainless. Gorgeous!

• Hockeymom
    6 years ago

We considered it but ended up going with stainless steel. I think it really depends on your cabinets/countertop selections. Looks great in this photo.

• vegasrenie
    6 years ago

My new fridge is the Maytag stainless which is magnetic and easy to clean. It completed my small kitchen and now I'm finally able to put magnetic notes, etc. on the front of the fridge instead of the sides.

• Larry Wasson
    5 years ago

New 2018. Bosch black stainless steel appliances have the black mixed with the stainless and so they do not show scratches. The matte finish does not show fingerprints. A matching stove will be introduced next year.

• Michael Lebert
    5 years ago

SAMSUNG

• Michael Lebert
    5 years ago

ESS

• HU-684552785
    3 years ago

I bought all my kitchen appliances in Black (coating) Stainless steel (BSS). Don't do it! I just found flaking around the range. I called and they said it is out of warranty and it is ot considered a mechanical defect. So 18 month old appliances look horrible. Samsung does not stand behind their products.

• triciajoelle
    3 years ago

I found nail polish close to the color of my fridge. Since my flaking is minimal, the grey (with minimal "sparkles") looks better than the bright silver stainless base that is showing.

• User
    3 years ago

My kitchen got destroyed in an accident. I am going with Bosch Black Stainless. Love the texture. Love that it is a matte finish. Am worried that my kitchen will be too dark (natural cherry, forest green marble countertop). But I had panel ready and now the panel ready is out of my budget and the panel ready refrigerator that I had before is shorter and more expensive by $4K than my old one and $2.5K more than the black stainless fridge I just bought. I really do not like the look of stainless. Cold and shiny and messy. Appliances last a long time, I am not worried about one breaking and then having to swap out something that doesn't match.

• triciajoelle
    3 years ago

Appliances DON"T last a long time any more!!! They're not like in the old days where you get 10+ years out of them. My black stainless fridge had service in the third year. It was an issue that was common to my model.. They replace everything including motor. Warranty had them give me a check for the purchase price. Also, when my plumber came for water line install in kitchen, he said "get the cheapest- they don't last". A friend got a great washer/dryer set. 1 yr later getting serviced. We went from the "keep forever" to "throw away" furniture and also "throw away appliances". I've had a 4 yr old Samsung fridge and a 5 yr old - $2900 LG Fridge replaced. Neighbors are fixing their 10 yr old appliances because they know they'll last longer than the new ones.

• User
    3 years ago

You are correct of course. I guess at this point, I don't care.

• triciajoelle
    3 years ago

I said the same thing. Keeps my food cold, washes my dishes, cooks my food. But my "replacements' will be floor samples and no "bells and whistles". Save money. I agree with you on the "stainless" being cold. I don't like it at all. GE has a nice "no shine" slate (no fingerprints, not dark) I'll probably go with that Right now I have a black stainless fridge and dishwasher... and stainless oven. With the black front and cook top, and each appliance being on its own wall, the range looks more professional while the other two appliances blend in. (Black countertop-soapstone, and black herringbone hardwood floors.) And those HE washer/ dryers? Obviously men who rarely do wash designed them! LOL! Not even going there!

• Jerry Jorgenson
    3 years ago

FWIW, I purchased a Bosch (made in USA) fridge in November 2010 and it's still going strong--even the ice-maker. The Fridgidaire it replaced only lasted five years. So not everything is made for planned obsolescence.

• User
    3 years ago

Jerry, I love happy stories.

• User
    3 years ago

I used to be more careful about appliances and put price before function and durability before style. I bought everything from the Sears outlet. But at 65 I am thinking I want to live a little.

• triciajoelle
    3 years ago

Myra Nissen... You go girl! Yes! Priorities!

• triciajoelle
    3 years ago

Jerry! GOOD TO KNOW! I used to flip and have had every brand but Bosch. And in keeping in contact with buyers over the years... track record for longevity is 5 years. Going to think about Bosch next purchase! Thanks for sharing your experience! Appreciated.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    3 years ago

triciajoelle -- When I was looking to purchase a fridge after the Fridgidaire died, I noticed that most well known North American brands were really made in the same factory in Mexico. I couldn't afford a Sub-Zero at the time and the Bosch was the only one I could find that was made in the U.S.

• Mark Hou
    2 years ago

Bosch is probably the only black stainless steel appliance brand that should be bought right now. All others show scratches too easily. Please update when other companies can provide the same level of scratch concealment.

• Bob Bianco
    2 years ago

Do Not Buy Black Stainless Steel !

The fact that this junk is still being sold as black stainless steel is criminal.

The black surface is created with a colored acrylic coating across regular stainless steel that scratches and peels fairly easily.

• annemarie2068
    2 years ago

I've had my black stainless steel Samsung refrigerator for several years now and love the finish. No problem with peeling or easy scratching. The finish stays clean and great looking (can't say much for the ice maker, though!)

• Harry Knull
    2 years ago

My LG fridge, stove, dishwasher & microwave started peeling before they were 2 years old. $4000 worth of JUNK !!

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    2 years ago

I have heard and read about this issue more than once. Have you tried to contact LG? If you put these appliances on a credit card, you should have double the warranty. Most of these appliances have a one year warranty from the manufacturer. Contact the credit card company and LG quickly before the warranty from your credit card company is expired and keep records. Send an email AND a letter sent certified mail with the date and copies of your receipts to LG customer service warranty dept and have copies for your Credit card. This is a known issue with these appliances from day one as this issue is well documented online. Then send a letter to LG and if you have an attorney friend have him write a letter on his letterhead. Hopefully this will catch the attention of LG and maybe they will communicate with you. Do not forget to include photos of your appliances, and have the model and serial number included in your letters and emails. You may also want to send the information to the consumer protection agency and see if they can help you .Good luck! I am so sorry that you have to deal with this issue.

• triciajoelle
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

ephross desidng... Cosmetic is not covered by any LG warranty.LG has had their handsfull with bad compressor on their fridge's for a few years. In fact, they refunded alot of peoples money or paid for their repair bills post warranty. So, cosmetic is a non issue for them.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Probably so, however if they sell a product with a known fault, this would take the issue beyond the normal cosmetic (non) warranty. It also is a good idea to go to their social media pages, post your photos and show the peeling. I believe that the Consumers Protection Agency would add some influence to the fight. A company cannot knowingly sell products that they know has a major flaw in the finish. If this were a car, and the paint peeled on all of the models with a certain paint color and they continued to use the paint and sell to unknowing consumers, they are committing what I believe is a type of fraud on the public. I am not a lawyer, and that is why I suggest a letter from a lawyer to LG in addition to the other information Mr. Knull would be sending. IN handling this type of issue, "The Squeeky Wheel Gets the Grease" . LG is not apt to be fond of bad publicity about their products. This could easily turn into a class action suit.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    2 years ago

A proposed class action alleges the “black stainless steel” finish for certain Samsung appliances is nothing more than a “thin plastic coating” prone to peel, chip, flake and prematurely degrade after ordinary use.

The 35-page lawsuit in Texas federal court alleges defendant Samsung Electronics America has falsely advertised its premium-priced, purportedly durable black stainless steel finish for kitchen appliances while concealing from consumers the “defect” that causes the finish to break down over the course of only a few years of normal use. As the suit tells it, consumers do not report such issues with Samsung appliances sold with stainless steel, white, or black finishes.

In addition to what the case calls the “obvious aesthetic ramifications” of the propensity of black stainless steel Samsung refrigerators, ovens, cooktops, microwaves and dishwashers to shed their finish prematurely, the complaint stresses proposed class members must also contend with the potential of ingesting the finish once it flakes or peels off.

“Owners of Black Stainless Steel Appliances risk, through regular use, having the defect contaminate the food cooked or cleaned in the appliances, and potentially cause related harm resulting from the ingestion of the ‘black stainless steel finish,’” the lawsuit reads.

Overall, the apparent defect that causes the black stainless steel finish of certain Samsung kitchen appliances to deteriorate prematurely significantly reduces the products’ value and accelerates their depreciation “beyond reasonable consumer expectations,” the case alleges.

According to the complaint, Samsung has known of the black stainless steel defect for “several years” yet “did not, and does not, disclose or provide any information” about the problem to consumers. The suit argues Samsung appliances with a black stainless steel finish, as a result of the apparent defect, do not satisfy several of the key purposes for which they were bought, including cooking food or cleaning dishes without damaging their exterior, maintaining their “signature aesthetics” and cooking food without the risk that plastic flakes or pieces will be dislodged and possibly contaminate food or be ingested.

“Plaintiff would not have purchased the Black Stainless Steel Appliances or paid a premium purchase price for the ‘black stainless steel’ finish if he knew that the finish was simply a plastic coating that was prone to peeling, chipping, flaking and premature degradation,” the suit contends.

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiff, a Texas consumer, believes he paid between $100 and $200 extra for his Samsung appliances to come with the company’s black stainless steel finish. After roughly three years of use, however, the plaintiff noticed the finish was peeling off, flaking and prematurely degrading, the case says, noting the consumer shortly thereafter discovered similar complaints from other Samsung buyers online.

Included in the complaint are a number of other photos purporting to show the alleged black stainless steel defect:

• Tricia Kelly
    2 years ago

Great Advice but LG is totally non-responsive. I have tried to have a friend who is a class action attorney take up the cause so we'll see. Both LG and the appliance store where an additional extended warranty refused to honor the warranty as this was a cosmetic defect while I would argue it is a defect in production and manufacture.

• annemarie2068
    2 years ago

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The finish on my black stainless Samsung refrigerator still looks fantastic after all these years. The original ice maker had a design glitch and they did finally come and replace it with a different type ice maker without the glitch.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    2 years ago

Tricia Kelly, I hope that you and your attorney have some luck. I agree with your argument.

• triciajoelle
    2 years ago

I think everyone who bought the LG black stainless did their research prior to purchasing, being that it costs thousands of dollars. Mine was on sale for $3500, down $700 from $4200. Due to space, I needed a counter depth which added $$$$. I researched everywhere with no mention of "peeling". The ONLY place I saw anything about the issue was Houzz, years after the fact. And by the time it started peeling, the compressor was bad, so it was the least of my worries. When it started peeling, I got a bottle of grey nail polish and covered it, and it stopped it from spreading. Now, the lawsuit for Samsung peeling... who is going to pay hundreds of dollars and spent countless hours in fighting this? Especially since cosmetic is not covered under warranty. Real world- that would be a "rich people thing". Most can't put that kind of money out. It would cost more in legal fees then the cost of the unit. Not realistic. As for Samsung ice maker? Yes, class action suit. And now, in order for Samsung to instill trust in their refrigerators, Samsung has included an extended warranty specifically for the ice maker, as of last Fall. This was in hopes that people will overlook past issues with ice makers. BTW- the lawsuit stating "they're thin plastic coatings (black stainless). Yes, they all are. Cost effective in production. Make 5000 door fronts in stainless, and depending on demand, just slap a film on a few thousand of them. My LG was bought in 2016, rebuilt in 2019 including ice maker door, compressor, motherboard (lots of visits from LG), reimbursed me for the cost of unit (couldn't fix slight frost issue at door by ice maker), died in 2021. The LG mechanic told me that the compressor for my model was a known issue in manufacturing. If I remember correctly, the relay switch on the compressor is IN the compressor, not separate as usual. I now have a slate GE. No film. Mismatches the dishwasher. Who cares at this point. GET A THREE YEAR WARRANTY! AND, buy from Lowe's. They stand by their customers. EXCELLENT warranty. They'll even pay for "food lost due to malfunction". Also has discount on water filters, 50%, if you have the warranty. Home Depot will throw you to the curb, next to the piece of junk they sell you.

• Tricia Kelly
    2 years ago

Class action lawsuits don't work that way. If you can find a law firm (or are contacted by a firm to be the lead plaintiff), they pay the filing fees and assume the costs in hopes of recouping (that and more) at the end of a successful suit. It's a gamble for them and one that they don't pursue without much research on the issues on their end before agreeing to be involved.

• triciajoelle
    2 years ago

I was referring to privately suing- being expensive, not class action. I assumed everyone knew that. Class actions are huge paydays for law firms who speicalize in class action. But they take forever.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.