nlmackay

How to coordinate shower tiles w/ existing flooring?

nlmackay
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are going to tile our master shower. Here's a picture of our floor, which is a carrara marble lookalike porcelain tile. I went to 3 tile stores today and received 3 different suggestions:

1 - White or Grey Subway tiles on the walls

2 - Try to match our Carrera looking tile as best we can, but use a different shape tile than the floor.

3 - Do the reverse as to what is on our floor - so a grey tile with white veins.

On the floor they recommended either a basket weave with white and grey, an octagon shape or a rock look.

In the comments I'll post pictures that I took in the stores.

What do you guys think would be the best route so that it doesn't clash? We will be re-grouting the floor to try and get it to look as cohesive as possible.

Comments (13)

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I took tons of pics, but here are just a few options. The big tile is a piece of my flooring.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

Given this situation, I would do white subway tile on the shower walls (no gray shower walls), and some type of smaller gray (not too dark) tile for the floor like a cross basket weave tile or octagonal look. I would do tiles that purposely look like you are not trying to match that marble looking tile.

nlmackay thanked cpaul1
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Penny rounds for the shower floor:

Metro Penny Matte White Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile · More Info
    Now the floor(s) is white.

Smoke gray glass subways for the wall.

Lots of white and gray going on, so I would tint the bathroom ceiling.

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, we have a jacuzzi tub with a surround that is outdated and no access panel. We are planning to take the tile out and do a surround like this, and create an access panel. We need a new faucet, it's leaking and all corroded but we have no way to access it.

• PRO
    Beckony Kitchens & Baths
    6 years ago

Hello! I would recommend the subway tile, you don't want it to look like you tried to match and missed the mark. The subway tile will add a different element to the room and have it be not so monotonous.

nlmackay thanked Beckony Kitchens & Baths
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beckony Kitchens & Baths - would you recommend white or gray subway tile? What color grout? My husband likes white tile w/ gray grout....I like gray tile with light gray or white grout. Our vanity is also white with a double sink.

• User
    6 years ago

I'd go with a gray tile n white grout that matches the white marble floor. Don't try n buy something to match ur floor. It rarely works out..

nlmackay thanked User
  • PRO
    Passionate Home
    6 years ago

It's much easier to match the gray tones in marble than to match the whites. It might be easier to use gray tile. This said, gray will go out of style far before white. Something to consider if selling your place is in the next few years.

nlmackay thanked Passionate Home
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Passionate Home - I agree with everything you just said. I easily found a gray tile...all the white subway tiles are either too bright or too dull of a white. This isn't our "forever" home, so selling within the next few years is a possibility. We had a real estate agent come and she loved our house exactly as is (it's fairly new with many upgrades) She told us that whether we spend $1K or $15K on our master bath, it wont effect what she'd list our house for (we made the great mistake of buying the most expensive house on our small street). That being the case, we've decided to go the less expensive route and forgo re-tiling the floor and purchasing a soaking tub. We're also keeping the current vanity. We are only going to tile the shower and update the tub surround.

• acm
    6 years ago

I vote either gray or white (prefer a pale gray), but I'd suggest looking for something larger-format than subway! Why would you want a zillion grout lines on the walls?? (grout is where all the scrubbing has to happen...)

Anyway, here are a few photos to show you a variety of different looks...

Nantucket Beach House · More Info

Our Work · More Info

Mill Valley, CA · More Info

Large white tile shower with bench, steam shower, and window for natural light · More Info

Cambridge Greek Revival Master Bath · More Info

O'Connor - Two-Story Renovation · More Info

Winter Park, FL traditional bathroom · More Info

Greenbrae, CA · More Info

Zen Bath Experience · More Info

nlmackay thanked acm
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks ACM! And the upkeep of cleaning is definitely a concern! :)

• PRO
    Beckony Kitchens & Baths
    6 years ago

Sorry for the late response, I would do the gray tile with white grout but I think either grout color would work.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.