bertie_coombes

" Spend a Penny " !!!

Bertie Coombes
6 years ago
Inspiration and ideas please....This little building, which measures approx 3.5m X 4.4m used to be the outside toilets horse the three farm E orders cottages where we now live.....I hope you got on well with your neighbours in those days !! We live in the middle of the terrace of 3 stone built 200 yr old cottages, and it just happens to be in our garden.
For 20 years we've used it as a mower / bike/ garden tools / junk store , but now as I head to retirement, I really want to do something more creative with it, and turn it into some sort of garden room/ summer house/ chill out space.
It gets sun for most of the day...or it would do it I knew how to incorporate more glass into it.
The easy option would be to pull it down and start again, and there is an argument for that as it badly needs attention. But I just love the quirkiness of it, and the history , I love the look of it, and it blends with our house in a way that a new structure probably wouldn't .
But that's where I get stuck.
I just don't know where to go from here, and would really appreciate any thoughts all you creative people might have on it. Thank you .

Comments (26)

• Bertie Coombes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That was supposed to say...the building housed the outside toilets for the three farm workers cottages where I now live....nothing to do with horses !!!!
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think it is a lovely project to have - and good for you to want to preserve the building!

How about putting glass in the individual doors?

Or, incorporating the doors together (you might not want to do this - depends how much of the original character you are looking to keep.) so when opened you have almost a whole wall of light/open space.

What is on the other side - looks like glass sheeting?

A few ideas on the chill out area.

As in photo below you could add a 'skylight' that is the same shape as the roof - so the apex is all light.

Would love to see what you do with the space.

Shannon

• Bertie Coombes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I really like the idea of retaining the three doors, but putting glass in the top half of them, also that idea of a glass bit on the top of the roof. It's funny, having lived with it " just being there " for 20 years, it's only now that I'm really starting to look at it and value it. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated.
  • mayfly182
    6 years ago

Just a word of caution... this setup was once quite common in the area I live in too, and it was standard practice for each property to own their loo and have a legal right of access to it. So, there's a good chance that you only own one of those loos, and you could theoretically run into problems if you start renovating them while they belong to someone else. You need to check first and find out about possible consequences if they are still owned one by each property.

People round here often arrange to buy the loos from the neighbours, usually a smallish payment (£100 is common) plus of course solicitors fees.

• happyhouse1997
    6 years ago

What a beautiful building in addition to other ideas you could put one of those small domes right at the top of the roof which would pull in light. I think it's called a sun tunnel

• Antonia Miele
    6 years ago

I would keep it simple, buy 3 glass doors and paint frames black or dark grey, re point the stone work, put a nice rustic tiled floor, some quirky lighting then furnish with benches and garden chairs with lovely cushions and rugs!

• susanglascoed
    6 years ago
    Please don't put bi-fold doors or any other current fad in this lovely little building. Keep it simple and respect its age by pointing with lime mortar and keeping the door openings appropriate to its architecture. And don't forget to run it past your Planning Officer first. They are often very helpful. Best to keep him/her onside.
  • PRO
    White Red Architects
    6 years ago

I'd keep as much of the structure as possible. It would make a great library similar to this extension to a Tudor house we are working on at the moment.

Extension for a Tudor house · More Info

Hope this helps,

Joe

• alyper
    6 years ago

Suggest removing central door and replace it with glazing, hang left hand door so that it opens back against side walls, whitewash walls, flagstone the floors, rustic wooden shelves within for pots and dried flowers, wooden furniture with colourful cushions. You may well find you will never want to leave!

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    I have no suggestions, you have so many great ones already! But oh how I love the building from the oldy woldy bricks to the pretty roof! Keep as much as possible, get advice from a sympathetic builder who will guide you. I love the paving outside too, although obviously a newer addition.
  • PRO
    Vintage by Hand
    6 years ago
    It would be a crime to demolish this beautiful brick "outhouse" get a good builder, have the roof re-slated (don't let them use a replacement they should use the existing slate) change the 3 doors for glazed doors, put 4 wall lights on the outside chrome square lanterns and enjoy this lovely little building for many years to come.
  • londoncottage
    6 years ago
    So many great ideas here - I would definitely take the time to think how you might use it... entertaining guests? A place to sit outside when it rains? (nothing like watching the rain fall and not get wet!), private getaway where you can get some peace and quiet from the main house?

Once you have answered that, I am sure what to do with the space will become abundantly clear. Good luck!
  • Bertie Coombes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas, and also your appreciation of this quirky little building. I think the " keep it simple " suggestions will really work, so no Tri- fold doors. I'm meeting a builder here next week , and now thanks to all your input, I can lead the discussion with him, rather than allowing myself to just agree to whatever he is suggesting. I can't tell you just how much I've appreciated all your input.
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I think you have to maintain the three doorways to preserve its character.
    I think you need to consider which side of the building will get the most sun or face the garden best. If it is the side with the doors I would put a sitting area outside the doors and use the interior as storage for garden furniture or cushions. The sitting area could also be augmented with a water feature, pizza oven or outdoor fireplace build from similar stone.
    If the best side of the building is the reverse then adding bifold doors to this side won't change the character of the building and allow you to give the building a different purpose such as a studio or bar.
  • Jane Bateman
    6 years ago

I'd keep the right hand door as is and put simple glazed panels in the other 2 door spaces. Keep it simple, all the way!

• Rachna Lévêque
    6 years ago

Good selection of ideas here. I would suggest you ask yourself what you would use it for: summer outhouse, quiet place to read, home office? What is next to the building, will you create a barbeque area or patio or flower beds to have more privacy from the main home? Once you know how you want to use it (and the space around it), you can decide how much insulation/ light it needs and what it needs doing. It will likely be an iterative process between what you want, the state of the building (agree that it would be nice to keep it) and your budget. To start, get a couple of builders familiar with heritage building to comment on the state of the stone walls, roof structure, and what work these would need. Once you know how warm the building will be, you can get started with layout and design. Don't forget to include the space around the building in the design. Good luck!

• Rachna Lévêque
    6 years ago

PS- Looking at the pictures again, it is a double skin wall, so I assume it should be somewhat warm. Don't know if you could/ would want to insulate the roof from below? Do check for any signs of wet/ dry rot before you begin. Good luck!

• roseatoakley
    6 years ago

Definitely agree with previous, that you need to think how you're going to use it. Also, the aspect - how it gets the sun. My immediate reaction is to put a full height window in each end door, and have a glazed door in the middle, but if it gets sun from the other side, you may want to shut up the doors, with fake ones, retaining the look, and open up other side with glazing. Inside then, behind out of use doors, you could create shelving in each door frame. Planners can be very helpful with a 'pre-app', although it might be wise to check whether you need to get them involved at all. Lovely building with great potential!! Check out on houzz for sources of materials, and builders too! Have fun!

• User
    6 years ago

I would go for the 'keep it simple' approach as well. The shape of the roof looks really nice. I assume each of the toilets has a dividing wall which would need to come down as long as it's are no more than that. Glazing the doors would let more light in. The roof space could be used as well even if it was only to house a music system, book shelves or an appropriate collection of artefacts and memorabilia.

• Resh
    6 years ago
    Lovely little building! I agree that the three openings give character.

How about two full height windows (keep the doors in case you ever want to re-fit), and one stable door? Loads of light with no roof alterations and easily reversible. We used a full height double glazed window in our kitchen and it gives a lovely view and throws light in. I would insulate the roof (something breathable as needed for an old building) as it will make it more useable in all seasons. Dig floor out, insulate, flagstones. A little wood burner in one corner for winter escapes with a book. Perfect!
  • Chris Goodchild
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm a little late to the party but here's my two penn'orth; I think keeping the door at one of the ends would be batter than placing it centrally as it will intrude into an already small space less. The remaining two doors I think would look nice as full length windows, perhaps with black anodised or powder coated frames, keep one of the doors and upgrade it to use for the entrance if it is in good enough condition as it compliments the building.

The roof needs relaying but as mentioned the old clay pegs would be nice to retain as they suit the building and mostly look reuseable, the hips would benefit from proper hip tiles as opposed to the concrete that is currently there. I notice that on the sunward side (right) there seems to be glass or metal set into the lower part of the roof, although that will allow a lot of light in, I imagine it will also make the interior hot in the summer so you will need at least ventilation.

It looks as though there is enough depth to the rafters to be able to insulate between them with a faced polyurethane board so keeping the wood and it's character visible.

Repoint the interior with lime mortar as mentioned to keep the look and character of the stone and brick walls.

The roof would also benefit from gutters, a downpipe and a rain barrel, at least above the door and windows.

• wendy Honeyman-Smith
    6 years ago

It is important to think what you would use it for. If, for instance, you might want to use it as a little art studio, then the glazing does not want to be on the sunny side. South facing glazing is not always the best thing - a little shade can be a welcome respite from a sunny sitting-out spot.

• bagpuss2
    6 years ago
    Could we see a little more of the interior please? My initial suggestion would be to replace two of the doors with glass windows - that way you get an idea of how much light you'd have - then investigate ways of making it wind and water tight - before adding insulation
  • PRO
    Amanda Broughton Garden Design
    6 years ago
    I would replace all three doors with glass. Two static full height windows, and one, a glass door. This would create a light and airy space whilst keeping the integrity of the original building.
  • tezz4
    6 years ago

If it were mine l would leave it as close to the original state as possible. I would for sure convert the inside to a sauna and hydroshower and add a sun patio outside with comfy recliners.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.