sflehman

Caesarstone Pure White Colour Wrong

Sarah Lehman
6 years ago

Very disappointed in our counters! We ordered the Pure White (1141) counters as they were the closest match we could find to our BM Oxford White custom painted cabinets and walls. When the slab arrived if was a completely different colour than the sample that the retail stores display (we checked several places. The colour of the slab they sent us resembles the Vivid White sample much more closely than the Pure White. We were told that there is nothing we can do as Caesarstone states "colours may vary."

Why they have different shades of white is confusing if the shade of white you order is not the one you receive. Now we will be stuck with fluorescent looking counters next to our walls and cabinets as the colour of the slab we received is not what we ordered!

Of course it is better to see this in person, how many of you think this is reasonable?

Our slab is the one on the bottom, the sample is on top.

Comments (86)

• granite guru
    6 years ago

"they really should get new samples every 6 months."

I should pull out the numbers on what it costs to fill all the displays we and other companies have out there, It would make some of you entrepreneurs sick. Think all the big brands and all their colors, then every time they release a new color. A quartz tint will always vary from lot # to lot # it is the reason all samples have a disclaimer on the back of them. If you choose to ignore disclaimers and then are disappointed in the end well.....

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i'm sure the companies can afford their paltry samples. They can get them from all of leftovers from all of the thousands of slabs they cut every week. gimme a break. I guess it's better to have unhappy customers who clearly point out the color difference?

There shouldn't be THAT much of a difference. If there is a bright white, regular white, and soft white and I choose the latter, I shouldn't get the bright white and have to accept, "read the disclaimer!" You don't have to replace ALL of the samples. Only the ones that have the largest discrepancies. Like the whites.

If samples darken or age w/sunlight, handling, and lighting, then don't you think it's in the company's best interest to replace them? otherwise we get exactly what is in this dilemma. Did you you read the comment from the other person who said, "wow. if there is this much of a difference between samples/real slabs, I'll choose a different company". So, just in this minute little 'sample faux pas', you have a very dissatisfied customer and a lost potential customer. Now multiply that across the country. I'm sorry. but if I were the CEO, I'd cough up the samples.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Beth, what part of "disclaimer" do you not understand? Samples are only approximations for color, particulates, and movement, good for a general idea. Debbie Washburn nailed it. The OP's lack of confirmation of her actual slabs are the fault here; nothing else.

Caesarstone is going to offer free slabs to the fabricator and try to strong-arm him into doing a job twice for which he's only going to be paid once after he kept his end of the deal.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Joseph, there you are again, my little bird dog. I understand more than you could possibly know, thank you. I also understand what a sample is. did you not read my comment? which part don't you understand?

don't really care about the fabricator, he plays no part in my equation. And of course I don't think they should be bullied into cutting the 2nd one for free. Of course they should be paid by Caesarstone. Why don't you ask the OP if she had the opportunity, or was given the opportunity, to view her slab at the fabricators?

if you give me choice of these 3 whites, I would expect to get the one I choose. Otherwise their disclaimer should read, " These are the 3 shades of white we offer. You will get one of these, but we don't know which one, nor can we offer any specific one because resin is just too unpredictable". That would be a fair disclaimer.

• Sarah Lehman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, what you just wrote is what I was trying to say earlier but you did a much better job :)

It just doesn't make sense to allow the customer to choose between three different whites but not expect to get the one they chose. If that were the case then only one white should be offered and the customer informed of a range that could be received.

I will update again tomorrow after meeting with Caesarstone. There are many theories on this thread (variance between slabs, changing over time etc) so it will interesting to hear what Caesarstone says.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I can promise you the retailer, especially if it's big and the account valuable, is going to tell the fabricator to eat the cost of the do-over if they'd like to keep the account. That's how this game is played.

• PRO
    Caesarstone
    6 years ago

Hi Sarah, we are happy to hear!

• Sarah Lehman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joseph, I was told that is not the case

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"... did you not read my comment? which part don't you understand?"

Beth H:

I don't understand where you got this theory, it's completely incorrect:

"i'm sure the companies can afford their paltry samples. They can get them from all of leftovers from all of the thousands of slabs they cut every week."

Estone manufacturers do not cut thousands of slabs every week. They have to ship perfectly good slabs to a fabricator to be cut into samples, have the edges profiled and polished, then package them to be sent to showrooms. I'm not aware of a single estone manufacturer that cuts "leftovers" into samples, because there are no leftovers. Yes, the cost of samples is a cost of doing business, but samples aren't from scrap.

If correcting errors in disclaimers and samples is "birddogging", you can pat me on the head and say "Good boy!"

• indomom
    6 years ago

So glad to hear of your outcome with Caesarstone. Keep us posted on what you decide, please.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

As stated with any natural or man made product "Shade variation is inherent in all natural or man made products". Never choose a product from a sample. Always see the product and choose the slab in person.

• rawegg
    6 years ago

I think the lesson learnt here is to ALWAYS look at the slab you will be purchasing instead of relying on samples. In terms of process and timing, it seems easier to bring a cabinet sample to find a countertop match while the cabinet is being fabricated. If you still can't find a countertop match, you can get it custom color match in concrete material.

(p.s. Pls. stop with the name calling,... )

• User
    6 years ago

Sarah, I just had a gut feeling that they never contacted caeserstone. I'm glad this all worked out for you.

And if there is this much variation in samples and slabs, then samples should maybe be made up of three pieces from different slabs showing the range of variations.

• Paddy
    6 years ago

So glad that Caesarstone have been so good about this, Sarah. If you're hesitant about going with a plain white again, there seem to be quite a few whites with a bit of something else, to consider - White Attica, Georgian Bluffs, Noble Grey, Statuario Maximus, plus a whole whack of things that would provide a little colour or contrast - pale greys, buffs, etc. What are you using for flooring, backsplash and appliances?

• User
    6 years ago

What about Organic white? Looks like it has warm white, cool white, and gray all together. That would match many different backsplashes and floors

• Sarah Lehman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Paddy, we have medium brown/grey maple flooring. I chose to put herringbone carrara marble as the back splash, stainless steel appliances(Wolf/Subzero). I love the marble looking counter tops, but I was nervous to put real marble with the fake stone. That was why I chose the white quartz. And I'm not a big fan of the white quartz with lots of speckles. Would you pair real marble with look a like marble counter tops?

• indomom
    6 years ago

Also, now you have all of your elements--cabinets, backsplash, etc. to take with you to the stone yard. Right?

• Sarah Lehman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes! :)
  • Paddy
    6 years ago

Yeah - I can see your point about the real marble/"fake" marble - I don't think I'd put those two together either. How about one of the greys to pick up the floor and the veining in the marble? That would likely look very classic. I haven't yet found exactly that combo online to show you a pic, but here are a couple with at least some of the elements:

https://goo.gl/images/fQofU9

https://goo.gl/images/Srxnrl

https://goo.gl/images/uhSW7T

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    So the samples *should* be more representative
    The sales rep *should* give more info
    The customer *should* be told they should check the slab
    The company *should* have customers sign off a slab

Well, yes, that all may help avoid such issues, granted. But who is going to make everyone fall in line and do what it's decided they *should* ??
    It's not an ideal world.
    Lessons in life. you only control what YOU do. you have no power over the actions of others. As convenient as it is to change it on from 'I should' to 'you should', it never helps any.

Another reason why, when sparingly little expense, it makes sense that homeowners *should* go to the trouble and expense of getting professional designers.

Yes, in this particular case, Caesarstone did display an incorrect sample, so in that regard, they were wrong.
    Glad that matter is resolved.
    My comments above are on a more general note than to this situation in particular.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

I am curious about where the kitchen designer is in all of this? When I have a customer who wants white counters that "match" their cabinets or tile or floor or appliances or whatever the conversation ALWAYS starts with " you will need to see each of these items together - they are on different planes - vertical vs horizontal and the lighting in your home will be different than the lighting here in the showroom. You will also have variation due to the different sheens on the surfaces - glossy vs matte vs satin." We then move on from there. I offer every client the opportunity to go to the fabricator to view their slabs...

I don't think any one person or thing is to blame here - I think it was the perfect storm of a lot of overlooked things that toppled the apple cart...

In the end I hope everyone from the customer to fabricator to contractor to Cesaerstone is happy and that we all can learn from this...

Thanks for posting your dilemma!

• User
    6 years ago

Interest is achieved by layers of tones and texture. "Matching'' is flat and uninteresting. Better remember the curse of getting exactly what you ask for.

• lwfromny
    6 years ago
    Not gonna get in the middle of the granite guru/ beth h/ Joseph Corlett debate. But I am going to state a fact based on personal experience. The biggest and most respected quartz fabricator in my area absolutely DOES cut their own samples, and they told me they are cut from leftovers. I've taken home numerous cuts from them myself. They are all hand labeled with a sharpie, and I've been in the room with many stacks of them. They don't even bother with the puny samples from the OEM. All samples are about 4x4, full thickness. This allows them to not need samples returned and to give the consumer several of the same type that can be lined up together to get a better visual in the space. And when I once needed a bigger sample, they lugged out a leftover piece that was about 12x20 for me. So I don't know why anyone would be saying there are no leftover pieces to use for samples. Maybe not every fabricator wants to take this approach, but mine can and does.
  • Suzanne Huschilt
    6 years ago

Sarah, did you have to pay anything at all for the re-install? We had Blizzard installed this week and there are stone imperfections in at least 4 spots right on the peninsula, Caesarstone didn't see them, they shipped to fabricator who didn't see them, when they left our house they did a final inspection, saw nothing with all the lights on...as soon as we turned off the bright lights we noticed the marks...dull spots it seems but you have to lean down and look from an angle at the counter....we are waiting for a call from the fabricator's Ceasarstone Rep... My understanding from the Caesarstone warranty page on the Canadian website is that Caesarstone will give cover the cost of the slab, but we will have to pay the fabricator for the install and labour....since our kitchen cost about $3600 just for installation portion and half of it is the peninsula...why should we be on the hook for approx $1800?!! Also, the rest of the construction is now held up, we can't do backsplash, can't put our cooktop in, pendant lights....etc...

Im really hoping Caesarstone will make this right between us and our fabricator...

Thanks

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Suzanne:

How much do you owe your fabricator?

• Suzanne Huschilt
    6 years ago

We don't owe them anything. We paid the balance via cheque and gave it to them after the install. It was cashed by the next day. have you ever heard of this happening with white Caesarstone?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Suzanne:

Can you post a picture, please?

What you want to look for is some sort of mathematical relationship between the spots. Say each spot is 48" from an end or seam. Then you look at their install truck and see the strap or support touches the stone at 48". It would be a safe bet that the spots were caused in transit. I'm not saying this is the case, but this is how you have to think in these situations.

Don't hold up your job over this. It can probably be fixed on site with a Quartz Renew kit and a tech who knows how to use it.

• Suzanne Huschilt
    6 years ago

Thanks Joseph. It is so very hard to see the spots/marks in a photo and they are very random, and only appear on the one slab, not on the other. They do not look like they came from a strap. Hopefully, the Caesarstone rep will call this week and be able to come and take a look.

• User
    6 years ago

That's pretty bad. You are justified to be upset.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I'd dump some acetone on a rag and give them a vigorous scrub. They could be attempts at wiping up silicone.

• User
    6 years ago

I wouldn't do anything until the rep gets there. You don't want to either make it worse or voidvthe warranty.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Silicone smears cannot be removed with a razor blade, believe me. The acetone will not hurt the estone and may eliminate the need for the rep to show.

• PRO
    Caesarstone
    6 years ago

Hi Suzanne Huschilt, if you need any additional assistance you can contact info@caesarstone.ca https://www.caesarstone.ca/customer-service/contact-us/

• Dee Sanchez
    6 years ago

Warranty replacement on quartz means the company throws free slabs at the fabricator and the fabricator has to remake the counters at no charge. There are no quartz companies, that I am aware of, that reimburse fabricators for their time. The fabricator IS eating this.

Given that Cambria has over 120 colors, Caesarstone has another 52, LG has 60, Silestone has over 160, there's just no way to make sure each slab is matching each sample. That's just 4 companies out of dozens.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Jumping in here could be hazardous but I just want to also mention LED cool lighting will help move colors whiter and lighter. Lighting conditions in showrooms and fabricators locations are different and usually not like your home. So check in your light any new choices. I am very happy Ceasarstone has stepped up for you and thanks to Houzz for this forum. All good.
  • granite guru
    6 years ago
    This picture right here is exactly what happens when you rub to vigorously in one spot either with some thing like a magic eraser or a cleaner with mild abrasive in it. This is fabricator related, it's blizzard so they probably had to clean some stubborn marks and went too hard on the same spot to long. This can be toned down and blended in right on site.
  • User
    6 years ago

Update?

• Suzanne Huschilt
    6 years ago

Fabricator came to try to get marks out, no luck, then Caesarstone needs to come try as well...also no luck; ....there were no clear answers as to what the marks were. Various attempts at removing trying different methods failed...Caesarstone will replace them under our warranty; Fabricator comes next week to install...All in all a hassle and a huge hold-up but we are happy that it is covered at no expense to us. Our Fabricator's customer service was amazing and so happy they cared to "make it right" for us. That goes a long way.

• User
    6 years ago

i was a little afraid of getting Ceaserstone after this thread, but now i will seriously consider getting my quartz from them!

• PRO
    Interior Dimensions and Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Having been in the interior design business for 38 years and counting, the very first (and biggest) thing one learns is: There is no such thing as "MATCH"! Anyone that promises this, or uses this word, is setting themselves, and worst of all the end user, up for a disappointment. The word to use is "BLEND" as colors from one type of material goods, and or within the same item type, are made at different times and alternate locations, it is impossible to expect them to be virtually the same. Everyone's comments here are spot on in all respects. This is the nature of fabricating in the products industry. (Wouldn't you love to have our jobs?) If you are not working with an experienced interior design professional currently in your design endeavors, please find one you are comfortable with that can assist you and reassure you in completion of your space. DIY-ers are not experienced enough to see these things coming. Many times these details, seen in piecemeal, do not look as appealing as the totally completed space and you are running scared before you need to. Everyone posting here is so very helpful and considerate for you, but now you need someone to help you in person rather than what we cannot see here on line. BEST OF LUCK to you!

• malorusso
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm so sorry for the experience you had with your Caesarstone! My contractor just ordered us FIVE slabs of the stuff for various rooms, and now I'm terrified that something unexpected will be delivered. However, when I was in one of the kitchen showrooms I picked up a sample of Pure White and it looked close to the shade of the slab you were sent -- perhaps the samples are becoming more accurate? One can only hope. In any case, for my laundry room I've been struggling with finding the best Benjamin Moore paint match for the Caesarstone Pure White. Can anyone please recommend a BM white that works? I am going out of my mind with all these tricky undertones and can't seem to make a decision! Thank you so much!

• John Chandler
    4 years ago

What do you do in this situation? Get the (unpredictable) countertop. Then paint your (brand new) cabinets to go nicely with it?

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

SO when it comes to that dreaded " match " word... I have bad news. It's not going to happen between a countertop and a cabinet. Your cabinets are vertical and painted with a very slight sheen or totally matte. Your counters are horizontal, a different material and most of the time shiny. They will catch the light differently. There was a thread on here where the customer thought that her upper cabinets were the right color and all her lowers were wrong. There were no counters in yet and the walls weren't painted. It was all cause by the lighting she had.

So please stop stressing if the shade of white isn't perfect... it will be ok! If it really is an issue then get soapstone or a beautiful granite with some veining in it.

I am glad this person is hopefully enjoying her new kitchen!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Your cabinets are vertical and painted with a very slight sheen or totally matte. Your counters are horizontal, a different material and most of the time shiny. They will catch the light differently."

I had a customer insist her backsplash didn't match her tops. This was impossible since I personally ripped them from the same solid surface sheet. I held a scrap next to the splash and top and it "changed" colors.

• Albert L. Fox
    last year

I got two different slab samples from the Home Depot and both vary in brightness and hue. So I think there is inevitably a gamble. The descriptions are fairly accurate, but since they are still 93% stone, the are going to be variations according to what nature provided for that block. I'm hoping mine is more on the white side like you got than the slightly warmer sample version I brought home. Definitely play with your light bulbs and vary them between 3000 and 3500k and make sure they are 90+ CRI. Those two factors will improve or worsen the colors in your kitchen. I have literally bought and returned over 20 different light bulbs because it didn't do the colors in my kitchen justice. I also went with 100 to 120w (12-15w LED) Edison light bulbs to get the desired effect. Try this and get back to us!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Albert, this post is 4 years old. I'm sure they're done w/it.

as for you quartz info, where do you get 93% stone? you better recheck those stats. the percentage is by weight.

• Albert L. Fox
    last year

Check Caesarstone's website. They use no less than 93% quartz in their countertops.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

Albert, it's by weight. The percentage is by weight.

Percentages by Weight and by volume are two diff things.

I'm guessing math wasn't one of your fave subjects?

It's actually more like 66% quartz, not 93.

Quartz countertops can consist of approximately 93 to 95 percent quartz and 5 to 7 percent resin by weight.

do the calculations

It's important to note that when manufacturers state their products contain 7% resin that they are talking about by weight. The actual volume of resin is much closer to 35% of the finished product.

By weight, it’s roughly 90-95 percent quartz, and the rest of it is resins, polymers, pigments and flecks for patterning (if you go by volume, not weight, it’s more of a 65-35 split).

And according to Wikipedia:

Compaction by vibrocompression vacuum process uses elastomeric molds in which a crushed stone/resin mix is cast on a moving belt. The mixture of approximately 93% stone aggregates and 7% polyester resin by weight (66% quartz and 34% resin by volume) is heated and compressed under vacuum in a large press. The vibration helps compact the mixture and results in an isotropic slab with virtually no porosity.[1] Engineered stone is then processed in basically the same manner as its natural counterpart.

So Albert, there ya go. It's a great marketing tactic to tell people their manmade countertops are really over 90% quartz, when it reality, you're getting a lot of resin mixed in with it.

• HU-638410537
    4 months ago

I ordered pure white countertop and it has a spot over 12 inches in the middle that looks like bad buffing or not finished consistently. the outside light for my windows makes this stand out horribly. They ordered another slab but it was from the same batch so the fabricator rejected it. the next slab came in and the fabricatir called to say there are white spots the size of a pencil eraser. i asked how many and they sent a picture of the slab with blue pieces of tape at every spot and there were like a hundred. ive contacted lowes who i arranged the project thru but am waiting for a response. i guess i need to drive the 75 miles to look at the slab anyone else get a bunch of random black or white spots that are a different pigment than the rest of the slab?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.