azzopardi2

Need pricing advice on built in robe door materials.

azzopardi2
6 years ago

Have been given a quote by my builder that if I want to upgrade( and he is highly encouraging this) from wooden doors in the robes to polyurethane doors it will cost an additional $8,000. I feel that this is excessive. The built in door dimensions are on average .475m wide by 1.9m high x3 per room. There are 5 rooms or areas -averaging 15 doors all up.

Can any one give me any idea of what the cost of polyurethane might be? I know that there is a labour component, but I'm already paying for this as the labour cost is the same either way for installing wooden doors or polyurethane.

Would very much appreciate any input as I feel there is some price gouging going on here.

Comments (8)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

$533 EXTRA for each door sound excessive to me - i suggest you check with a wardrobe supplier or cabinetmaker for a separate quote to compare

azzopardi2 thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Agree with oklousie a cabinet maker or a good carpenter would do it they usually use a compressed board cut to size in different thickness and paint it, can't think what it's called, you could check with Bunnings re this as they could tell you, I should think a lot cheaper

azzopardi2 thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi

A polyurethane finish has a labour (polishing) plus the paint itself.

An 'off the gun' finish is around $140m2. I would recommend you ring your local cabinet painting company and they can give you their rates.

You also need to factor in production of the doors (assuming you are not using the timber?), delivery (someone has to take them and pick them up)

Cheers

azzopardi2 thanked User
  • C P
    6 years ago
    Do you really need the upgrade? From what you've described it sounds like your builder is just trying to up-sell you?
    azzopardi2 thanked C P
  • bigreader
    6 years ago
    Stick with the wood doors. More forgiving and easier to repair accidental marks. But have what you love, and you'd need to really love them to pay that amount extra.
    azzopardi2 thanked bigreader
  • PRO
    JPM Creations
    6 years ago

All depends on the wood, if they are solid Hardwood of good quality and are custom made with a polly finish that sounds about right for 15 doors if they are plywood type doors then forget it. My opinion is bunnings are Garbage you get what you pay for.

azzopardi2 thanked JPM Creations
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

still think you are best talking to a cabinet maker , kitchen place that use "wood wood" to make pantry doors etc, you can also buy this product along with a lot of other building materials at Bunnings which builders go to for, same quality as else where just sometimes a bit cheaper because of the volume. We used this for holiday villas & 15yrs later still perfect

azzopardi2 thanked siriuskey
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.