coreymays22

Floor Plan Feedback as well as Expert Opinion on Roof Lines

coreymays22
6 years ago

I think we have decided on this house and like the plan. My main concern is the roof line in the back by the upstairs rear cutout. It looks kinda strange aesthetically, but it also looks like it would not let rain drain properly off of the roof. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem?

I would also like any suggestions for tweaks to the floor plan. We are thinking that we will switch the powder room to the computer nook and make the laundry room big enough to fit a couple dog kennels for our labs.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/southern-house-plan-with-future-expansion-960010nck

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

OMG - you have SO many different roof lines and valleys! It is going to cost a fortune to roof this house, and God help you when you must replace it someday - it will be VERY expensive.

You can do a LOT better than this. Think "simple".

• just_janni
    6 years ago

I was wondering if a shingle company sponsored the plan!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

This is a world-class example of a draftsman's approach to making a floor plan, without any consideration of the architecture on the exterior, much less roofing. The result is a floor plan with a bunch of roof trusses thrown on top in an attempt to keep the rain out for most of the time. The exteriors have huge, ill-proportioned roofs and have so many potential future leak points, requiring excellent installation and workmanship by roofers, as to be simply unacceptable.

Back away from this, turn and run away! You can do so much better than this!

• User
    6 years ago

Gawdawful.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I think you should build it as it is. Then after living in it a year you can tell us if you had any problems or if anyone was brave enough to tell you what they really thought about the design. Then try to sell it and let us know if you had any difficulty.

(I think I am going to start a class to teach people what good architecture is.)

• cpartist
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The roof is over double the height of the main floor.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

This is a really unpleasant element. With all the bumpouts, I am not sure why they chose to make this one look like a shed addition, right at the front of the house. There is a historical precedent for this where I live.

It can be charming on a 19th c. house to have the bathroom addition cantilevered over the alley or yard in a little clapboard shed. But not here.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

The stairs land in a dark upstairs room with no windows (grey square). So the area leading to two of the bedrooms will need artificial lighting all day long. The "future bedroom has a single window down a tunnel like dormer, far from the main part of the room (grey circle). these will not be nice bedrooms, or at least the path to them will not be nice:

• PRO
    Onyx Design Collective
    6 years ago

coreymays22 Rather than demean the design, as others have already done, I would recommend taking the floor plan to an experienced architect as a starting point. There are some good things that you can work with and they can help you weed out the bad. Identify the areas that you really like and why. There may be ways to capitalize on those areas and enhance the floor plan to meet your needs. A new home is too important and expensive to spend money on a stock floor plan you don't love. Spend the money upfront on a good designer and they will help you save more money on the back end and will help you create a home you will love.

An experienced architect should be able to iron out the issues on the exterior. I would recommend working with someone that works in 3D modeling. That way you can get a better since of the overall look from all angles.

Good luck!

• mrspete
    6 years ago

I don't like those too-tall rooflines. I think they make the house look top-heavy.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.