So happy with our results!!

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc.
    6 years ago

Enjoy the island 'view'.

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago
    Glad to see pics w/ espresso island. Nice contrast to cabs on back wall. Also glad to see fridge/coffee station wall. That turned out nicely, too. Well done!
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

2 things I forgot re island. 1, that TM quartzite looks fabulous. What an entry into LR & K. 2, I like panels on end of island. They really dress it up & make it look like a piece of furniture than an attractive wooden box.

• PRO
    Idlewood Electric Supply
    6 years ago

Beautiful! Nice job!

Dasha thanked Idlewood Electric Supply
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

The island is great contrast, and I love the new hood above the stove!

Dasha thanked User
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Actually, I think you should've left it the way it was. NOT! :-)

• PRO
    Litz Real Estate
    6 years ago

The breakfast stool area is a great addition!

Dasha thanked Litz Real Estate
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! The kids love the island seating and prefer it to the "formal" breakfast table. :) But when we eat as a family, it's always at the table.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Close up of the "hutch" area. I threw some color in there but will continue to spruce it up in time. I do need more wine in there ASAP, though!!

• schnable1
    6 years ago
    It looks beautiful! I have a general "out there" question. Why is there a space between top of cabinets and ceiling?
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We didn't want to do tiny glassed cabs on top and building a large soffit to the ceiling would have been too bulky in scale. I don't mind the look, but I know folks don't love the "hireline" on top of cabs! :)

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

Gorgeous top to bottom!

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Gerety!!!
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! I love all your elements and especially the giant island. The drum shade light fixture is perfect eye candy. Love it all, enjoy your hard work.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much, boxer!! :) It was quite the project!
  • bjb33
    6 years ago

Great job. We are looking at reconfiguring to remove cabinets that divide the cooking from eating areas and add an island instead. Are you happy with the sink in the island? Someone suggested that I consider that and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

Looks great, love the two glass front cabinets!

Dasha thanked Verona Home Design
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

bjb33, we did something similar to what you're considering. Our K had a peninsula & its uppers divided K from DR. Our neighbor w/ same plan had done a reno where they removed uppers & add cabinets under what had been the breakfast counter, only move peninsula 10" twd DR to make K bigger. When our CKD came over, she said since we'd be redoing the floor, why not go w/ island instead. Ours has rangetop as bringing water & drain lines over too expensive & gas, electrical and venting were already there. Dasha's house was built w/ sink in island. I call ours "Sydney's Revolution" after our CKD.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bjb33, I think it's all very personal. When we moved into our home, the sink was already in the island. I do like that configuration because we have an open concept and the entire kitchen overlooks the family room and the windows into the backyard. For me, I like being able to keep an eye on the kids as I am meal prepping and/or washing dishes. Or watching TV as I clean up.

On the other hand, when people come over, the island is the main gathering area and when I need to put dirty pots/pans in the sink, I don't love that they're right in front of our guests.

Some folks love a range in the island, as folks can taste food as it's cooking or you can serve directly from there. I fear with kids, they could lean too much and touch the hot grill. Or if people are sitting around the island while you're cooking, there is chance of water or oil splatter.

To me, the BEST configuration is one where the sink is under a window to the side, range against a wall and the island is a large landing/entertaining/prepping area without sink or range.

Sorry for the very long winded opinion. Bruce is great at explaining the logic behind some of these things as well! Happy renovating!

• bjb33
    6 years ago

Dasha81, that's what I'm leaning toward as well-sink under the window, and the island a general prep area. Thanks for the detailed answer!

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    6 years ago

Love the hutch area and the backsplash! Great job!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

Looks awesome!

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you M&R and OTM!!!
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

dasha81, just saw Bruce's reference to this. Such a fantastic update. I've seen pieces of your house from other dilemmas and it must be a very nice place to live.

Dasha thanked shwshw
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

shwshw, thank you so much!! Bruce has been with me throughout every room. I literally couldn't have done it without him. The kitchen update was a big one. As you can see, we have since painted the walls a light gray, changed out the drapery and the breakfast area chairs. I need to take more updated pics of the kitchen since all of those changes!

• Jessi Brown
    6 years ago
    wow, I'm speechless.
    Dasha thanked Jessi Brown
  • PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    6 years ago

Great color choices. Beautiful!

Dasha thanked May Construction, Inc.
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Dasha's new K is terrific. What makes it more special, to me at least, is when she embarked on her reno a couple pros told her her ideas were terrible and the design would never work. But she knew what she wanted, and alas, . . . !

Dasha thanked Bruce Crawford
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

It looks so good!!

Dasha thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • PRO
    21st Century Tile
    6 years ago

Beautiful! Great job!

Dasha thanked 21st Century Tile
  • PRO
    Construction Masters
    6 years ago

Awesome redo! What a lovely place to be, you must love it, great job!

Dasha thanked Construction Masters
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Gorgeous work!

Dasha thanked Mega Builders
  • TC Hudson
    6 years ago

Good for you! I especially like the island. Glad to hear you didn't let the professional's negativity hold you back.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.