lindseyhollis

Seam in fantasy brown granite

Lindsey Nav
6 years ago
We would like to have fantasy brown in kitchen. We found out that there will be a seam near our dishwasher. Is this a deal breaker or will a seam be ok for this busy and varying granite? First time remodeler here!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Is the movement of the stone going to change directions? Are you okay with that? Seams are a part of owning natural stone. If you don't want to see them, get Corian.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

If your fabricator has Slabsmith, you can see your seam before any stone is cut.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

You need to meet with the fabricator and participate in the process all the way through, including laying out the template on the stone so you decide what the pattern will be. I don't know of any fabricator in our area that can show you the pattern and seaming other than to lay it out in person and see it first hand.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Slabsmith is a computer program. The fabricator takes digital pictures of inventory. This allows him and you to manipulate your digital template on a monitor. He can cut your tops a hundred ways to Sunday without ever touching a stone. Were I him, I'd print copies and have my customers sign approval. No surprises at install.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

That's nice. No fabricator in our area has that capability so one might not expect to find it everywhere.

• PRO
    CHiKS Design Group
    6 years ago

I'm working with Fantasy Brown for a client who wants an island larger than the slab. My fabricator would rather not do a book match at centre where the sink is due to inconsistent thickness of the slabs and possibility of them not meeting perfectly at the seam... trying to come up with other creative solutions to keep the granite choice and the island size. I designed a 6" taller island end with a wine rack but she wants all one level. Looking for ideas to incorporate some butcher block or an accent piece.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

Photos · More Info

Timeless · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

• PRO
    CHiKS Design Group
    6 years ago

Thank you! The 2nd one is similar to what I was thinking... but couldn't find a visual.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"My fabricator would rather not do a book match at centre where the sink is due to inconsistent thickness of the slabs and possibility of them not meeting perfectly at the seam... "

As long as they are flush at the top, a slight deviation at the bottom is inconspicuous, especially after a little grinding and polishing on site.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.